Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum - View Single Post - Random Tech/Science Thought and Chatter
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Karyu
Sight Unseen is a perfectly ordinary magical unicorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicoradian View Post
At one point I had a Hyper 212+, with a push/pull fan configuration it should do pretty good at keeping a x6 cool. It would keep a athlon II @ 3.6ghz 1.42v around 30C running prime95. I replaced it with a phenom II heatsink to free up some room in my case

I'd be concerned with the vrm's getting too hot since you overclocked it and raised the Vcore. I've read about people killing boards with the x6 cpu's because they pull a fair bit of power.
I don't think that I'll have to worry about killing the vrems on my motherboard. It has a quite large heatsink on top of the mosfets and the ferrites, and I scraped off the thermal pad and replaced it with as5.

I used to have a Athlon II X2 at 3.9GHz at 1.55V, it was around 30C normally as well. It seems my current heatsink is roughly equivalent to a hyper 212, and it can't keep up with the X6 at 1.5V. Also the corsair h50 has a lot of questionable reviews. Guess I gotta go hunt some more for something that works and won't cost me an arm and a leg.