Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum - View Single Post - Chevron in Ecuador: A Defining Moment (Amazon Watch News)
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 03:36 AM
Taronyu
txim_asawl wiggles his bare toes.

Recent Amazon Watch news on the Chevron shareholders meeting:

"I want to remind you that our fight in Ecuador is for life and for justice,"

Secoya indigenous leader Humberto Piaguaje told Chevron management and shareholders on behalf of 30,000 Ecuadorians whose Amazon home has been destroyed by the company. Along with Amazon Watch and dozens of other courageous activists and allies, he journeyed thousands of miles to the company's annual meeting to demand that Chevron be held accountable for all of its destruction, from the Amazon to Richmond, CA.

Humberto's words resonate with me as I think about our campaigns and our work in the last month. They are for life and justice, for corporate accountability, indigenous rights and for the future of the Amazon and our global climate. While we recently celebrated momentous victories across campaigns for corporate accountability in our work around a string of annual shareholder meetings, we'll have to use this new vigor to keep up such pressure and to ramp up the fight in Brazil, where the government has just green-lighted an installation license for the Belo Monte Dam. The struggle continues and it needs your support!

For life, for justice.

Leila Salazar-Lopez
Program Director

And:

Amazon Watch and RAN Demand Justice from High Above the Bay

Bold activists from Amazon Watch and Rainforest Action Network rappelled from the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge in the San Francisco Bay Area to hang a 50-foot banner demanding justice for Chevron's crimes in the Ecuadorian Amazon. The banner, which read "Chevron Guilty: Clean Up the Amazon", brought attention to the recent Ecuadorian court ruling that found Chevron guilty of its contamination and liable for up to $18 billion.

Wiggling bare toes,

~*Txim Asawl*~

Si'ekong te'lanš, te'lanš le-Na'vi, oeru teya si.
And the beats of the hearts, the hearts of the People, fills me.