Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum - View Single Post - Pandora - The Return Of Wonder To Sci-Fi.
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Tsamsiyu
Cyvaris writing...maybe.

In swoops Mr.Cynicism!

Really the Na'Vi are different? Uhh....no. They are one of the most effectively done alien races but still aren't really "different" from humanity. I am currently taking Native American Cosmology as my lecture elective. I spotted SO similarities between the Na'Vi and some of the Native cultures we were discussing I had to double check that I had not signed up for "Na'Vi 101." One of my favorite similarities was in a short piece written in the 1800's but....uh I forget the name. Basically he dismissed the "white man" of being "unable to see" and being "childlike".

So uhm yeah the Na'Vi are just like various previous alien races, they are just another interpretation of humanity and that interpretation is used to tell a story.

Also maybe its because I grew up with Bladerunner and other various "dystopian" Sci-Fi but I rather tend to like darker sci-fi. It shows us what we should avoid and the things we should try to change about human nature. While the overall world is dark "dystopian" works usually have a very positive message of change. If we avoid acting this way the world will change, for the better.
We murder to dissect.

Enough of Science and of Art;
Close up those barren leaves;
Come forth, and bring with you a heart
That watches and receives.

William Wordsworth