Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum - View Single Post - First Ever Synthetic Cell. Fascinating.
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Hapxtu
Leequilibrium is beyond the dark sun.

This is a massive step in the right direction and a pretty phenomenal testament to how far we've come as a species and how far we are still able to grow (the room for development on this achievement is mind-boggling).

As far as my opinion on the "If you don't really understand it fully, you shouldn't be messing about with it." school of thought goes, I believe you won't learn anything about anything if you don't pursue the unknown. Things of this magnitude should, of course, be approached with caution and sensibility, however. There was a time when we didn't fully understand much as a species, but you've got to take risks if you want to pursue knowledge and satisfy curiosity.

I'm one of the apparently increasingly rare people that think all technological progress is a good thing. For every advancement that brings good, people will raise the issue of warfare/pollution/resource depletion, etc... These are all fair points that need to be combated, but we musn't lose sight of the good.

I'm personally very excited about the opportunities that this breakthrough has the potential to unlock in coming years!

Last edited by Leequilibrium; 05-21-2010 at 04:21 PM.