Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum - View Single Post - The 'Why We Love Neytiri' Commentary Series.
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 09:24 PM
‘Eylan
Neytiri_Quest is dreaming again

This is for you, the Neytiri clan. I hope you like it.

Why We Love Neytiri-Part II

We love Neytiri. We love her physical strength and courage and grace—and the beautiful curves of her supple and radiant feline body. We love her smile and her playful laugh. And we extol her virtues to the rafters. We’re happy to worship her from afar, because in doing so we don’t have to risk being rejected by her. We are aware—if only subconsciously—that if we ever came face to face with a woman of that caliber, we’d likely melt into a quivering puddle of protoplasm.

And therein lays the crux of the problem. We’re sensitive and perceptive enough to understand Neytiri’s magnificent attributes and praise her endlessly for them, but we’re not yet able to embody those qualities strongly enough in ourselves to feel worthy of such a woman. We are like Salieri working with the supremely gifted Mozart. The unsophisticated throngs around him can’t begin to understand the depth of Mozart’s talent (just as many people can’t begin to understand why we find a 10 foot tall, azure-skinned, alien cat-woman so captivating!), but Salieri can. And though he’s considered an accomplished musician in his own right, he knows that compared with Mozart he’s but a candle-flame compared with the sun.

I suspect we’re all feeling a bit like Salieri with regard to Neytiri. We simply haven’t seen anything like her before, and we’re understandably enthralled and more than a little confused by her. She’s spun us around and turned our world upside down, and most of those around us have no understanding of what we’ve experienced and would laugh at us if they did. But we have an opportunity Salieri didn’t have, for we’re not blinded by jealousy or envy—we’re blinded by love… and a sense of pure wonder that takes all our hopes and dreams, and weaves them together into a magnificent tapestry of unmatched beauty.

In the movie, AS GOOD AS IT GETS, there is a memorable scene that helps illustrate my central point. Jack Nicholson plays a crusty, curmudgeon having dinner with Helen Hunt’s financially needy character. She has put up with a fair amount of verbal abuse and inappropriate behavior from him because he’s providing the medical care her sick son desperately needs. But at one point he says to her, uncharacteristically, “You make me want to be a better man.” To this she replies, “That’s maybe the best compliment of my life.”

And that’s the core of Neytiri’s underlying power and charm over us—she makes each of us want to be a better man… a man worthy of her and the ideal she represents. For us she symbolizes the summit of female perfection. As such, she inspires and beckons each of us to let go of our limitations and become the loving, creative, and courageous man we were meant to be.

When Jake’s original purpose for being with the Omaticaya is discovered, the sense of betrayal on Neytiri’s face wounds him in a way no weapon could. These people have trusted him, taught him—accepted him as one of their own. And she has loved him, risked her life for him, and been willing to garner disfavor and loss of status in the Clan’s eye by joining with him. And now Jake feels as worthless as an empty husk. By his actions he has rained down destruction on them, and many have died. Grace needs their help. And the woman he loves has told him to leave and never come back. He takes a long look at himself—and he doesn’t like what he sees. He feels like a tree whose roots have been ripped out of the ground. He is a boat without a rudder; an untethered balloon.

The look of disappointment and betrayal in Neytiri’s eyes sears his soul in a way nothing else could. He has been unmasked as a pretender, a paper tiger—someone unworthy of her love. And if he is not able to redeem himself in her eyes, he will be unable to live with himself. His old self is too limited. He has to change, to become something more. And his only path to redemption is in the monumentally dangerous and difficult task of taming Toruk, the Last Shadow. But he accepts this colossal challenge, because only by accomplishing it can he stand and face Neytiri again. Quite simply, she has made him want to be a better man.

Why to we love Neytiri? It’s simple, really. She ennobles us. At one point Jake says, “All I ever wanted was a single thing worth fighting for.” What Neytiri represents is that single thing—that one lofty ideal—worth fighting for. She makes each of us want to be a better man, and we are all the richer for it.

"Music is a free-spinning wheel, attached to nothing." ~David Lindsay

Neytiri Love Poems (by me!)

The 'Why We Love Neytiri' commentaries