J. R. R. Tolkien - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » Entertainment » Books

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-14-2013, 04:41 AM
moonbeam's Avatar
Taronyu
moonbeam Science and Magic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Universe
Posts: 459
Default J. R. R. Tolkien

I just wanted to make a topic about J. R. R. Tolkien. I have "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" and they're really good. Anybody here ever read his books?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-14-2013, 04:58 AM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones seldom washes his hair.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,884
Default

I've read the lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit. I'm sure everyone here has read at least one of his works.
__________________

Misery Forever.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Marvellous Chester's Avatar
Aristocratic Villain
Marvellous Chester - Dislikes watery gravy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicestershire, England
Posts: 640
Default

I read The Hobbit after seeing the film at the cinema last December. I thought it was pretty good, though truth be told I have read better fantasy in my life

The Hobbit probably could have done with being twice as long to properly flesh out everything.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Raiden's Avatar
Outlier
Raiden BIOSYNTHETIC LIFEFORM #R41-D3N
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,072
Default

Silver, you do realize that your perception of the book is probably being warped by the movie, right?

The movie is essentially the book with a lot of Tolkien's footnotes and side-stories slipped in where they would make the most sense.

For example, the ghosty thing in Dol Guldur is not discussed (I know what it is, but I'm not going to spoil it), and if I recall, Radagast was only mentioned once in the main trilogy.

I thought the movie was fantastic and did a magnificent job of fleshing out the book and tying things together in meaningful ways, but the book is what it is. It existed long before Peter Jackson was even born, and the movie is just a tidied-up and expanded retelling of it.
__________________
Modern technology owes ecology an apology.

Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-15-2013, 01:53 AM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,751
Default

Read The Hobbit, only ever got partway through LOTR

It's on my todo list... somewhere. I know, I'm lazy
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-15-2013, 03:51 AM
Empty Glass's Avatar
Karyu
Empty Glass has no status.
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,439
Default

^ Do it!

I've read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings...but have not read The Silmarillion. Has anybody here read that?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-15-2013, 06:16 AM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones seldom washes his hair.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Glass View Post
^ Do it!

I've read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings...but have not read The Silmarillion. Has anybody here read that?
Getting through the Silmarillion, let alone any Tolkien book is a task in itself.
__________________

Misery Forever.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Empty Glass's Avatar
Karyu
Empty Glass has no status.
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,439
Default

Yeah, I've heard it's a real effort too. Quite a few of my friends have read LOTR but only one of them has successfully attempted The Silmarillion to my knowledge. Still, I'm kinda feeling inspired now to give it a try and see for myself what it's like.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Marvellous Chester's Avatar
Aristocratic Villain
Marvellous Chester - Dislikes watery gravy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicestershire, England
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden
Silver, you do realize that your perception of the book is probably being warped by the movie, right?

The movie is essentially the book with a lot of Tolkien's footnotes and side-stories slipped in where they would make the most sense.

For example, the ghosty thing in Dol Guldur is not discussed (I know what it is, but I'm not going to spoil it), and if I recall, Radagast was only mentioned once in the main trilogy.

I thought the movie was fantastic and did a magnificent job of fleshing out the book and tying things together in meaningful ways, but the book is what it is. It existed long before Peter Jackson was even born, and the movie is just a tidied-up and expanded retelling of it.
It's not really that there are scenes in the film that aren't in the book, rather that I thought some of the parts in the book felt rushed and lacked description and depth.

As an example, the Battle of Five Armies starts and finishes in about half a dozen pages. It begins and you think 'Yay' and then it's over and you have to flick back to make sure none of the pages were stuck together

Last edited by Marvellous Chester; 08-15-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-15-2013, 07:47 AM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones seldom washes his hair.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Stag View Post
As an example, the Battle of Five Armies starts and finishes in about half a dozen pages. It begins and you think 'Yay' and then it's over and you have to flick back to make sure none of the pages were stuck together
Tolkien does that a lot.
I remember the Battle of Helms Deep being very very boring and short in The Two Towers, which is odd because Tolkien doesn't shutup when he's oh, say, describing the leaves on a tree.
__________________

Misery Forever.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-17-2013, 02:19 AM
Raiden's Avatar
Outlier
Raiden BIOSYNTHETIC LIFEFORM #R41-D3N
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Stag View Post
It's not really that there are scenes in the film that aren't in the book, rather that I thought some of the parts in the book felt rushed and lacked description and depth.

As an example, the Battle of Five Armies starts and finishes in about half a dozen pages. It begins and you think 'Yay' and then it's over and you have to flick back to make sure none of the pages were stuck together
Yeah, but describing every little interaction between each soldier is not how to write fantasy.

That part is supposed to be up to you to imagine.

That battle was just a bunch of different factions beating the crap out of each other, there just wasn't much else to it. No big, towering fortresses or miraculous turnarounds, just a good ol' fantasy beat-em'-up.
__________________
Modern technology owes ecology an apology.

Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-08-2013, 06:45 PM
CyanRachel's Avatar
Ikran Makto
CyanRachel is proud to be one of the People
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 773
Default

I have The Hobbit book, all 3 LOTR books and the Silmarillion, but haven't had time to read them all yet. Plan on doing so one of these days.
And I have seen all 4 of PJ's Tolkien films up to this point (the LOTR trilogy and The Hobbit AUJ). Looking forward to seeing the 2nd Hobbit film coming in December.
__________________



Your love shines the way into paradise.

Seen Avatar 27 times (Viewings: IMAX=2, Regular 3D=6, DVD/Blu-ray=19)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-09-2013, 05:15 AM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones seldom washes his hair.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanRachel View Post
I have The Hobbit book, all 3 LOTR books and the Silmarillion, but haven't had time to read them all yet. Plan on doing so one of these days.
And I have seen all 4 of PJ's Tolkien films up to this point (the LOTR trilogy and The Hobbit AUJ). Looking forward to seeing the 2nd Hobbit film coming in December.
Oh man, is it coming out this December??
__________________

Misery Forever.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 PM
CyanRachel's Avatar
Ikran Makto
CyanRachel is proud to be one of the People
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 773
Default

Kaltxi iron jones!
Yes, the second Hobbit film ("The Desolation of Smaug") is coming out this December.
__________________



Your love shines the way into paradise.

Seen Avatar 27 times (Viewings: IMAX=2, Regular 3D=6, DVD/Blu-ray=19)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 PM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones seldom washes his hair.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanRachel View Post
Kaltxi iron jones!
Yes, the second Hobbit film ("The Desolation of Smaug") is coming out this December.
Christ, where does the time go?
__________________

Misery Forever.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:32 AM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.