Trudy's Rank - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » Avatar » Characters

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Raptor's Avatar
Fast mover
Raptor has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Quantico, VA
Posts: 401
Default Trudy's Rank

We never really got to know Trudy's rank in SecOps. In contemporary US military, helicopters are mainly flown by Chief Warrant Officers. However, during an extended scene in CE (The Challenge), Quaritch referred to Trudy as Captain, a commission officer rank. What seems like even more evidence is Wainfleet addressing Trudy as Captain in a joking voice when he was preparing her Samson. However, SecOps may have a different rank structure compared to today's military. Does anyone else have opinions on this?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC130StandingBy View Post
We never really got to know Trudy's rank in SecOps. In contemporary US military, helicopters are mainly flown by Chief Warrant Officers. However, during an extended scene in CE (The Challenge), Quaritch referred to Trudy as Captain, a commission officer rank. What seems like even more evidence is Wainfleet addressing Trudy as Captain in a joking voice when he was preparing her Samson. However, SecOps may have a different rank structure compared to today's military. Does anyone else have opinions on this?
Ahahhah, I have MANY opinions on this!

....mostly that I prefer her as a CWO, as this both fits in the military AND it fits her personality better. Wainfleet's capitaine could be a joke, and/or a little dig at her (like that bit in NCIS with Gibbs, "don't call me 'sir', I work for a living). Also, her insignia matches USMC CWO. In my RPG, she's a CWO, as that's what fit when I was researching nearly a year ago, and I'm not retconning as I've built THAT version of Trudy around her rank. And I really, really, REALLY like the idea of people calling her 'Chief'.

However, Quaritch calls her captain in that deleted scene, and Michelle Rodriguez calls her character a captain in an interview I found. And presumably SecOps have their own insignia. So, I...think it's more likely that she's a captain than not. But, still, Wainfleet's spin on the accent suggests that they have a good enough relationship that he can get away with it.

(In my own headcanon, she was enlisted in USMC first and then transferred over to Naval Academy to become a pilot, just to keep the enlisted edge to her, and signed up with the SecOps when her five years as a CO with USMC was up. Prooooooobably was still a lieutenant (unless she was promoted crazy-quick), and then was promoted to captain in SecOps (possibly as part of the SecOps enticement). But, as I said, this is all MY headcanon. And, uh, a large part of the plot of my fic Speak, Friend, and Enter, so it's really all speculation)
__________________

Last edited by Ashen Key; 03-08-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,751
Default

IIRC, Captain can refer to someone who runs a ship no matter what their official rank is, there isn't any real reason that couldn't be for an aircraft too. Of course, we don't know if the marines there even use any/the same ranks.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human No More View Post
IIRC, Captain can refer to someone who runs a ship no matter what their official rank is, there isn't any real reason that couldn't be for an aircraft too. Of course, we don't know if the marines there even use any/the same ranks.
...that's not actually how military ranks work. And Navy ranks =/= Army ranks =/= Marine ranks =/= Air Force, and the ranks aren't even the same between countries. In addition, as AC130StandingBy has pointed out, a lot of helicopter pilots tend to be Chief Warrant Officers. They aren't commissioned officers like captains are, but technical specialists. 'Captain' is someone who commands a ship, yes, and it has come to mean boats and also spaceships, but in strict military terms, the use is far more precise. Not to mention that there are captains in all branches of the military, regardless of if they are navy or air force or not. And that there are an awful lot of lieutenants in the world being pilots, and ranks higher than army/air force/marine captain (Navy Captain is different, and a much higher rank).

However, SecOps DO use ranks - Quaritch is referred to numerous times as 'Colonel', in the script Wainfleet is a Corporal, and one of the other extras is a Private. And Trudy is called a Captain. It makes sense given their uniform, the INSIGNIA, the amount of weapons, the fact that the UN limits weapons-usage that SecOps are run like a governmental military - and by run, I mean organizational structure.
__________________

Last edited by Ashen Key; 03-09-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Banefull's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Banefull has a status.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 814
Send a message via Skype™ to Banefull
Default

Maybe she once held a higher position. It may very well be possible (given the ISV delay in delivering troops) that secops is officer top heavy because too many lower ranks died while on duty. For example, if you are commanding a platoon and a new higher up arrives, usually he or she will be given the command and you may be bumped down to second in command or perhaps to overseeing a squad until another position opens up.

The number of dedicated security personnel at Hell's Gate is not that big. It only takes a few deaths to make things "unbalanced."

Last edited by Banefull; 03-09-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banefull View Post
Maybe she once held a higher position. It may very well be possible (given the ISV delay in delivering troops) that secops is officer top heavy because too many lower ranks died while on duty. For example, if you are commanding a platoon and a new higher up arrives, usually he or she will be given the command and you may be bumped down to second in command or perhaps to overseeing a squad until another position opens up.

The number of dedicated security personnel at Hell's Gate is not that big. It only takes a few deaths to make thing "unbalanced."
I'm not sure I really understand where you are coming from? Are you suggesting she used to be a major or something? Captain and CWO are in a different set of the military - one commisioned, the other warrant/NCO
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-09-2011, 03:28 AM
Banefull's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Banefull has a status.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 814
Send a message via Skype™ to Banefull
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen Key View Post
I'm not sure I really understand where you are coming from? Are you suggesting she used to be a major or something? Captain and CWO are in a different set of the military - one commisioned, the other warrant/NCO
No I am saying that there are perhaps too many captains and not enough positions for a captain. In a combat zone for example, if an O-2 is killed in a combat zone then an O-1 or someone of a lower rank will usually fulfill the role until a new O-2 arrives. In essence, your rank may not be reflective of your command. In the Vietnam war, it was very commonplace for mismatches in ranks vs size of command to occur out of necessity for weeks on end. The reverse could be true with too few lower ranks and too many higher ranks. If there aren't enough pilots of the proper rank around someone has to do the job. In fact, I would imagine that the ranks of those who were pilots would be quickly depleted as it is a very risky job with banshees ambushing you and such.

It is a sizeable gap in rank (skips first lieutenant and 2nd lieutenant) but its possible in an extremely remote place such as Pandora.

Last edited by Banefull; 03-09-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-09-2011, 04:45 AM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banefull View Post
No I am saying that there are perhaps too many captains and not enough positions for a captain. In a combat zone for example, if an O-2 is killed in a combat zone then an O-1 or someone of a lower rank will usually fulfill the role until a new O-2 arrives. In essence, your rank may not be reflective of your command. In the Vietnam war, it was very commonplace for mismatches in ranks vs size of command to occur out of necessity for weeks on end. The reverse could be true with too few lower ranks and too many higher ranks. If there aren't enough pilots of the proper rank around someone has to do the job. In fact, I would imagine that the ranks of those who were pilots would be quickly depleted as it is a very risky job with banshees ambushing you and such.

It is a sizeable gap in rank (skips first lieutenant and 2nd lieutenant) but its possible in an extremely remote place such as Pandora.
Ohhhh, I getcha now. Hrm. I...don't know. If she's NOT a captain, if she's been booted down to CWO (which I'm not sure why, as pilots aren't exactly comanding anyone besides their own crew), then that doesn't explain why Quartich called her one. Also, I think her insignia matches the pattern of Quaritch's - she has one bar of red to his four - which fits in with her being an officer, and a captain, BUT I'll have to go through my caps to double-check that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Sothis's Avatar
One of the People
Sothis likes life.
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York State, USA
Posts: 222
Default

I think Banefull is saying that she IS a captain, but she's filling what would normally be a CWO's role.
__________________
All Avatar writings
-------------------
Selected writings:

You came back
How do you make up after you've done the unforgivable? Jake and Neytiri have a conversation in the wake of Hometree's destruction, during their first real moment alone following his return as Toruk Makto.

The Last Train Home
Fourteen years after the war, a lone spaceship appears in the sky. The former members of the Avatar program watch its approach expecting the worst, fearing for their adopted home. Then the ship lands. And suddenly, nothing makes sense anymore.

Five seconds too late
This is a different kind of Jake/Neytiri romance, the story that would've unfolded had she been delayed for just five seconds while trying to reach him following the fight with Quaritch.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Banefull's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Banefull has a status.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 814
Send a message via Skype™ to Banefull
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sothis View Post
I think Banefull is saying that she IS a captain, but she's filling what would normally be a CWO's role.
^ ^
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Isard's Avatar
Old Guard
Isard -- Wait, you do hear the voices right?
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,416
Send a message via Skype™ to Isard
Default

Is there any particular reason a captain couldn't be a pilot?

Not allot of desk jobs on Pandora.
__________________
:psyduck:
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sothis View Post
I think Banefull is saying that she IS a captain, but she's filling what would normally be a CWO's role.
...oh. Right. *rubs head* Okay, then. That basically just means she's more tech-savvy and does more mechanical things than she normally would, which makes sense with the limited number of people around. I've been basically assuming that's the case.

Sorry, I really got...massively confused at what you were getting at. But I can't brain well today, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isard View Post
Is there any particular reason a captain couldn't be a pilot?

Not allot of desk jobs on Pandora.
They don't know how to fly? *g* There are infantry captains, after all. I'd say most captains aren't pilots, generally speaking.
__________________

Last edited by Ashen Key; 03-09-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Tey'Kan's Avatar
Eylan
Tey'Kan is not the enemy...the enemy is out there
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isard View Post
Is there any particular reason a captain couldn't be a pilot?

Not allot of desk jobs on Pandora.
Me thinks not. There are alot of "Captains" flying jets around for the US Navy and the US Air Force. As far as the Army, AC130 is right, most chopper pilots are CWO's.

Tey'Kan
__________________
Tey'Kan - "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-31-2011, 12:02 AM
EywaBlessMe's Avatar
Hapxtu
EywaBlessMe Disillusioned Tawtute (but you can call me Vawmpay)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: under cover, ducking the bullets
Posts: 182
Default

Perhaps she received a 'field promotion', even though RDA is not regular army.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.