Property. - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » General Forums » Debate

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 PM
ZenitYerkes's Avatar
Karyu
ZenitYerkes - Progress means expanding everyone's freedom
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,329
Default Property.

I believe it is simply and exclusively a mere abstract thought that doesn't change the nature of the owned thing at all.

Though it prevents us from killing ourselves when the "Whose this land?" questions arises.

But on the other hand, it also makes us kill ourselves when the answer is given, and the owner is not you.

Property: need or arrogance?
(cheesy newspaper headline)
__________________
I love Plato, but I love Truth more - Aristotle

Last edited by ZenitYerkes; 05-24-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Sacred Tsahaylu's Avatar
Unìltaronyu
Sacred Tsahaylu is typing on his leopard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scotland, Pandora
Posts: 676
Default

You need to explain more what you mean. Are you suggesting that we don't own anything and that we are merely in possession of objects? That is what the Native Americans believe, and I'm sure it's a belief commonly held among indigenous tribes.
__________________
'I have already chosen. But this woman must also choose me'
'She already has'


'Mawey! Na'viyä, mawey!'
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 PM
fkeua vrrtep's Avatar
One of the People
fkeua vrrtep has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 240
Send a message via ICQ to fkeua vrrtep Send a message via MSN to fkeua vrrtep
Default

It's not a belief , it's a fact .

You can't own something which you cannot control .
__________________


"In the beginning there was man , and for a time it was good , but humanities so called civil societies soon fell victim to vanity and corruption , then man made the machine in his own likeness , thus would man become the arcitect of his own demise , but for a time it was good"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 AM
Woodsprite's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
Woodsprite is very busy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,162
Default

The Na'vi fought and died for their land (and for the Tree of Souls); so did the native Americans. "This is our land!" Capitalism, right there.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Spock's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Spock is hopeful.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 886
Default

Woodsprite, notice how the word "our" is used. That would indicate that the Na'vi are collectivists not capitalists.
__________________
Live long and prosper
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Woodsprite's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
Woodsprite is very busy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Woodsprite, notice how the word "our" is used. That would indicate that the Na'vi are collectivists not capitalists.
That'd be true, but only if it was used in a certain sense. Jake was referring to the land as the Na'vi's. If he were truly referring to it in the collective sense, he would've meant it's the human's land as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Spock's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Spock is hopeful.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsprite View Post
That'd be true, but only if it was used in a certain sense. Jake was referring to the land as the Na'vi's. If he were truly referring to it in the collective sense, he would've meant it's the human's land as well.
Well, I would argue most senses. Jake's definitions are irrelevant. He used "our" which pertains to a collective society. I may also add that we see no evidence of property ownership by individual Na'vi when refering to land.
__________________
Live long and prosper
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Woodsprite's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
Woodsprite is very busy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Well, I would argue most senses. Jake's definitions are irrelevant. He used "our" which pertains to a collective society.
Well then that's your interpretation, and noted. But I stand by my guns on this one: Jake was referring to the Na'vi only, not everyone on Pandora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I may also add that we see no evidence of property ownership by individual Na'vi when refering to land.
True, since the Na'vi are all part of a tribal society. Native life, whether it be the Na'vi, or any tribe here on earth, tends to resemble life in a boarding house. Everyone partakes; everyone shares certain things; everyone knows everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Spock's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Spock is hopeful.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsprite View Post
Well then that's your interpretation, and noted. But I stand by my guns on this one: Jake was referring to the Na'vi only, not everyone on Pandora.
I see that. I just wanted to not how the Na'vi that Jake was refering to were a collective society, the movie exemplifies how well collectivism works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsprite View Post
True, since the Na'vi are all part of a tribal society. Native life, whether it be the Na'vi, or any tribe here on earth, tends to resemble life in a boarding house. Everyone partakes; everyone shares certain things; everyone knows everyone.
The smell of collectivism. Lovely.

That's the point I wanted to make anyway.
__________________
Live long and prosper
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Woodsprite's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
Woodsprite is very busy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I see that. I just wanted to not how the Na'vi that Jake was refering to were a collective society, the movie exemplifies how well collectivism works.

The smell of collectivism. Lovely.

That's the point I wanted to make anyway.
Within tribal societies, though; only with tribes. Gotta make that distinction.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Spock's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Spock is hopeful.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsprite View Post
Within tribal societies, though; only with tribes. Gotta make that distinction.
I believe a true socialists utopia is yet to be demonstrated. In time my friend. Let's leave it at that.
__________________
Live long and prosper
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Woodsprite's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
Woodsprite is very busy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I believe a true socialists utopia is yet to be demonstrated. In time my friend. Let's leave it at that.
Fair enough. /handshake
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Spock's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Spock is hopeful.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsprite View Post
Fair enough. /handshake
Politics needs more people like you and me.
__________________
Live long and prosper
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-25-2010, 06:08 PM
josie20's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
josie20 None of you understand
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Politics needs more people like you and me.
Hey, if either of you run for president, you've got my vote!
__________________
I may not be as excited about Avatar as I use to be. But, I will never forget that it changed my life.

As our bodies die, all the stars reply, "Now you see the lie"



"Bide your time and hold out hope"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Loverofnature's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
Loverofnature has no status.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Body: Denmark Spirit: Pandora
Posts: 712
Send a message via MSN to Loverofnature Send a message via Skype™ to Loverofnature
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie20 View Post
hey, if either of you run for president, you've got my vote! :d
+1 :d
__________________




"Free your Mind" - Morpheus
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:50 PM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.