Occupy Wallstreet - Page 3 - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » General Forums » Debate

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-10-2011, 07:16 PM
ZenitYerkes's Avatar
Karyu
ZenitYerkes - Progress means expanding everyone's freedom
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,329
Default

EVERYONE in the OWS is a no-job why-didn't-i-make-better-at-high-school useless-graduate hippie?

Seriously.

no wait. not everyone. JUST 99%. roflmao /sarcasm
__________________
I love Plato, but I love Truth more - Aristotle

Last edited by ZenitYerkes; 10-10-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 PM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones hasn't received an infraction since 2011
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,848
Default

No one said that...
__________________


Misery Forever.

O vos ómnes qui transítis per víam, atténdite et vidéte
Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 PM
ZenitYerkes's Avatar
Karyu
ZenitYerkes - Progress means expanding everyone's freedom
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_jones View Post


So far, what I've seen is a lot of hippies upset about the fact they are in deep debt because they went to an IVY League institute, majored in philosophy and can't find a job.

Not to say there aren't some good points being made.
These are your words.
__________________
I love Plato, but I love Truth more - Aristotle
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-10-2011, 07:27 PM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones hasn't received an infraction since 2011
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenitYerkes View Post
These are your words.
Oh ****, right. I think you accidentally deleted the part where I said "Every person taking part in OWS is a hippie and majored in philosophy."

Because nothing you quoted me on implies that I said that.
__________________


Misery Forever.

O vos ómnes qui transítis per víam, atténdite et vidéte
Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-10-2011, 07:28 PM
auroraglacialis's Avatar
Tsulfätu
auroraglacialis can now be called "doctor"
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Europe
Posts: 1,622
Default

Of course the ones who are there all the time will be mostly without job - because obviously these are the ones who do not have to go to work during the day. that does not mean that it is only them. Also it seems that quite a few studied so useless topics as computer programming. Hey, they could have guessed that with that topic no one will give them a job unless they move to India, right?

And about studies that do not offer great money - was it not one of the promises of a technological civilization that it can afford people to become musicians, artists and philosophers?

Also, I find that image both demeaning and insulting! The niveau of this thread suddenly dropped dramatically with that and makes me ask who here is the one who lacks creativity and intellect. If I look at the slogans on the OWS posters and signs, every one of them has more intelligence than the one in that picture
__________________
Know your idols: Who said "Hitler killed five million Jews. It is the greatest crime of our time. But the Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher's knife. They should have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs.". (Solution: "Mahatma" Ghandi)

Stop terraforming Earth (wordpress)

"Humans are storytellers. These stories then can become our reality. Only when we loose ourselves in the stories they have the power to control us. Our culture got lost in the wrong story, a story of death and defeat, of opression and control, of separation and competition. We need a new story!"

Last edited by auroraglacialis; 10-10-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 PM
ZenitYerkes's Avatar
Karyu
ZenitYerkes - Progress means expanding everyone's freedom
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,329
Default

Then what is your point with the caption and the comment.

Because if it's not that I am completely not getting it.
__________________
I love Plato, but I love Truth more - Aristotle
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-10-2011, 07:39 PM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones hasn't received an infraction since 2011
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraglacialis View Post

Also, I find that image both demeaning and insulting! The niveau of this thread suddenly dropped dramatically with that and makes me ask who here is the one who lacks creativity and intellect. If I look at the slogans on the OWS posters and signs, every one of them has more intelligence than the one in that picture
How is it demeaning or insulting??
I merely posting it because:

1. I thought it was worth a giggle
2. There's a lot of good reasons for these protests, BUT, so far I see a lot of young kids who are upset about their student debt.

Oh hey, look at all those starving people almost everywhere in the world. I'm sure they think of you as the "1%"
__________________


Misery Forever.

O vos ómnes qui transítis per víam, atténdite et vidéte
Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
ZenitYerkes's Avatar
Karyu
ZenitYerkes - Progress means expanding everyone's freedom
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,329
Default

Excuse me, since when student debt stopped being a problem that can't be protested?

But besides that, it's not only people who can't get their studies payed or finished. Some of the photos from their tumblr site:



__________________
I love Plato, but I love Truth more - Aristotle

Last edited by ZenitYerkes; 10-10-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 PM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones hasn't received an infraction since 2011
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenitYerkes View Post
Excuse me, since when student debt stopped being a problem that can't be protested?

But besides that, it's not only people who can't get their studies payed or finished. Some of the photos from their tumblr site:
Never said it was only people who can't pay for their studies. I've seen a lot of good points made. And some people who really don't deserve what's come to them due to the ****ty economy.

But I've seen a lot of those pictures you've just posted and a lot of them are basically "Don't have a job, have an arts degree and am in deep debt because of it. This is Congress' fault"

If you're upset about corporate fat cats getting bailouts that's fine, but I work three ****ty jobs so I don't have to accumulate a lot of debt.

I'm not at all saying it's easy to make a lot of money in the states, but when I see a bunch of kids there with mac books and iPhones...
__________________


Misery Forever.

O vos ómnes qui transítis per víam, atténdite et vidéte
Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-10-2011, 08:00 PM
ZenitYerkes's Avatar
Karyu
ZenitYerkes - Progress means expanding everyone's freedom
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,329
Default

First two pages, five people mentioning college or high school, out of twenty. The rest are mostly 30 to 50 years old.

And none of them states they have art or philosophy degrees. Some of these people stated though they've been working full-time after graduating, some others still keep one or two jobs they hate but need. Others are just afraid.

Let alone all the people without access to the Internet, or who can't afford it; and therefore don't appear here or anywhere we could research.

These are not "lazy" people who got to the "easy" degrees and then want the government to get their lives solved. And if there are any, they're not representative.
__________________
I love Plato, but I love Truth more - Aristotle

Last edited by ZenitYerkes; 10-10-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-10-2011, 09:51 PM
ZenitYerkes's Avatar
Karyu
ZenitYerkes - Progress means expanding everyone's freedom
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,329
Default

Here is the college students:

It's not an individual problem either, it's a familiar and social one. Some of the texts on the tumblr page make me want to kick puppies.
__________________
I love Plato, but I love Truth more - Aristotle
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Tsyal Makto's Avatar
Tsulfätu
Tsyal Makto glad to be home!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Body - Chicago, Spirit - Pandora
Posts: 1,873
Default

True that, Zenit.

I'm surprised the foreign members here are so hostile to this movement, because some of their main requests are things these countries already have: single payer healthcare, progressive taxation, regulations on unfair or corrupt business practices, more environmental protections, and a more robust safety net, to name a few (basically things that are commonplace in most other industrialized countries, but are lacking here).

Don't see why this makes them "hippies," sounds more like just a request for better governance, to me. This is a grassroots movement of people of all races, ages, and backgrounds rising up against a corrupt status quo that is not working for the good of society or the planet, not an AstroTurf movement like the teabaggers.

Another thing to remember is that journalists like to look for the most extreme or radical person in a bunch, because "crazy sells" in the media. So if you see videos of people extolling the goodness of Chairman Mao, or something similar, please remember it is just a journalist trying to make a fast buck, or someone with a political agenda trying to cast a negative light on these people, and is not representative of the movement as a whole.
__________________


The Dreamer's Manifesto

Mike Malloy, a voice of reason in a world gone mad.

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off." - Tyler Durden

Last edited by Tsyal Makto; 10-11-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 PM
auroraglacialis's Avatar
Tsulfätu
auroraglacialis can now be called "doctor"
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Europe
Posts: 1,622
Default

Having an iPad does not really compare to having millions of $$ to ones personal disposal...

And I think the 99% is a reference to a US statistics. Globally, you are right, the whole of the US is the 1% and the rest of the world would not be wrong to go out on the streets and rightfully say that they are in that context the 99%, but that is another point I think - that movement is after all one that is happeining within the context of the western countries...

And if you do not see why that picture is insulting and demeaning, I cannot help you.
__________________
Know your idols: Who said "Hitler killed five million Jews. It is the greatest crime of our time. But the Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher's knife. They should have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs.". (Solution: "Mahatma" Ghandi)

Stop terraforming Earth (wordpress)

"Humans are storytellers. These stories then can become our reality. Only when we loose ourselves in the stories they have the power to control us. Our culture got lost in the wrong story, a story of death and defeat, of opression and control, of separation and competition. We need a new story!"
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Moco Loco's Avatar
Dandy Lion
Moco Loco is a lion in a low place
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,911
Send a message via Skype™ to Moco Loco
Default

iron_jones, it sounds to me like you're railing on the liberal arts Fine if you want to do that, that's your POV, I do it myself sometimes (most of the time), but what about everyone out there with a real major? Education in America is the most expensive worldwide, to my knowledge. You're promoting a silly stereotype which actually has no relevance to the issue.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Clarke's Avatar
Karyu
Clarke wants his own Avatar.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Scotland, 140 years too early
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraglacialis View Post
Also it seems that quite a few studied so useless topics as computer programming.
Elaborate, please.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:57 PM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.