Offensive/Offendable - Page 4 - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » General Forums » Debate

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Sky Person
Jerry has no status.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5
Default

I didnt read the whole thread, just skimmed over it. As usual I miss all the drama, but I guess that's a good thing about disappearing a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_jones View Post
If you've ever laughed at a joke that could be offensive to anyone, you cannot ever tell someone they can't joke about a certain subject. Either it's all okay or none of it's okay. You can't pick and choose. You can't laugh at one joke and then tell someone they can't tell another joke because it hits close to home for you.
People give reasons and reasons as to why you can't say something but it always goes down to "I don't like it so you can't say it"
I feel the same way. If I can't joke with "off-color" stuff, I might as well not joke at all. If I have to filter everything I say/do/type, than I'm not me and if I can't be me I might as well drop it all and move on. I don't have time nor the desire to be someone I'm not. If someone doesn't care what I say after they've been 'offended', its their problem not mine. If I get 'in trouble' for such a comment because so-so demands I 'get in trouble', its still not my problem. I'm not required to be here. Lots of "If I" in that paragraph huh?

Me and Mr Jones has had all kinds of well... The off-colored jokes in IRC back in the day between each other you'd swear we were mortal enemies. All taken in good stride for a good grilling, ribbing, roast, whatever you want to call it. Always a lot of fun. My non-internet friends are way worse than iron_jones' jokes and comments.

Seems lately that people are getting waaaaay overly sensitive. (I can't comment about ToS specifically, I haven't been here much, but people in general.) I'm getting really sick of the overly sensitive, easily offendable, bleeding heart, politically correct, blame train that much of society seems to be riding on. People either love me for my blunt honesty, or they hate me for it. People can always ignore me.

Anyway, it takes a lot to offend me, and odds are if you are trying to offend me, you won't succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco Loco View Post
I always wondered what would happen if a Quaritch/RDA fan appeared here, whether they would be immediately chased away and called a troll
I want to say there used to be a few RDA fans hung around and more were chased off...

Quaritch was a good, if plain villain. You're going to be 'plain' when your motivation is to wipe the floor with the natives like a typical mercenary. No I did not see him as a 'marine' because he was bought by Selfridge whose about as slimy as the most of the humans on that rock. I feel if the whole thing was up to him, he would've smeard the Na'vi all over the planet mercilessly. I'm actually a fan of both the RDA & Na'vi and if I ever did make it to a meetup (highly unlikely at this point) I'd try to show up as RDA.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-26-2014, 01:49 AM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones hasn't received an infraction since 2011
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post


Me and Mr Jones has had all kinds of well... The off-colored jokes in IRC back in the day between each other you'd swear we were mortal enemies.
Oh the good old days.
__________________


Misery Forever.

O vos ómnes qui transítis per víam, atténdite et vidéte
Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Marvellous Chester's Avatar
Aristocratic Villain
Marvellous Chester - Get away from me pleb!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicestershire, England
Posts: 636
Default

Quote:
Seems lately that people are getting waaaaay overly sensitive. (I can't comment about ToS specifically, I haven't been here much, but people in general.) I'm getting really sick of the overly sensitive, easily offendable, bleeding heart, politically correct, blame train that much of society seems to be riding on.
If you could just send me your address, I will travel to your place of residence and share a beer with you!

Try living in a country where you are told to stop flying your flag in case it offends immigrants and ethnic minorities or where the council stops putting up christmas lights because somebody might construe it as racist.

Everybody should be able to say and joke about anything they like. Silence me with force and if you're not willing to do that, clearly you aren't that offended.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Eltu's Avatar
Administrator
Eltu is home.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 2,418
Default

I mostly follow the old principle-

You can joke about anything, but not with anyone.

Being overly sensitive is one thing, but I think one also has to recognize situations where some jokes can really hurt someone. I wouldn't joke about traffic accidents with someone who's husband just died in a car crash, for instance - there is a time and place for everything, and this works the other way around too.

In general I think being a little too careful is most times better than ending up making someone feel bad.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-26-2014, 06:02 PM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones hasn't received an infraction since 2011
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltu View Post
I wouldn't joke about traffic accidents with someone who's husband just died in a car crash, for instance - there is a time and place for everything, and this works the other way around too.
At the same time if she goes to a comedy club and the comedian makes jokes about car accidents she has not right to tell him he can't say that. It's just like Daniel Tosh and the rape jokes; if you don't like it, leave. Why is stand up comedy the only area of the performing arts where it's okay to just stand up and start yelling at the performer cause you disagree with something he said? You wouldn't do that at an improv show or a play.
__________________


Misery Forever.

O vos ómnes qui transítis per víam, atténdite et vidéte
Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Eltu's Avatar
Administrator
Eltu is home.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 2,418
Default

Well, that is a bit beyond my point - I was rather referring to cases when a joke is directed towards (not necessarily about or related to though) a specific person.

Obviously in things such as comedy clubs you enter specifically to be told jokes and the comedian cannot be aware of who everyone is, so as you say that's a bit more of an enter-at-your-own-risk thing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-29-2014, 12:42 AM
Sky Person
Jerry has no status.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Stag View Post
If you could just send me your address, I will travel to your place of residence and share a beer with you!

Try living in a country where you are told to stop flying your flag in case it offends immigrants and ethnic minorities or where the council stops putting up christmas lights because somebody might construe it as racist.

Everybody should be able to say and joke about anything they like. Silence me with force and if you're not willing to do that, clearly you aren't that offended.
Yer on the wrong side of the pond, and Im not a beer drinker but I appreciate the gesture. Maybe some water or something later. :p

Heads up... a rant now...
I do live in a country where your neighbor has more say in anything you do, than yourself. But it really varies by community. We cant call them Christmas lights here, they're called "Holiday Lights" because we don't want to offend the non-Christians . The place I used to live in Florida, I was the 'crazy white boy'. While the area was filled to the brim with crime (not as bad as several other areas, but still bad) there was really no neighborly control unless it was girl or drug related. It was a free for all. Heck just before I moved, some guy from California (across the country, literally. 3680km) forced and demanded a school I used to attend to change its name on the public's dime (Its going to cost the locals $136,000 over this summer). After 10 years he finally succeeded. However, a lot of that crap is behind me and I now live in a more community oriented environment where people don't usually lock their doors, people wave, talk, are friendly, etc and the biggest threat is falling down a cliff or a skunk at night. I am aware crime is everywhere though but I don't want to look like a chicken little in this quiet little village.

I've been harassing and telling off 'leet' skript kiddies and "hackers" for over a decade, and have received my share of death threats, etc, because I insulted their intelligence (or lack thereof) and my address was not hard to find (surely, they can google for sites to hack they're leet enough to find my address). I've actually invited some to come on over and let me "show you how we have fun down south" (A police report is as useful as closing the barn door after the horse has already run out). No takers surprisingly. If someone wants to silence me because I hurt their feelings or offended via the use of force, they better bring more force than I can and they better use it right out the gate. No, I'm not a self proclaimed bad-ass, I try to avoid conflict whenever possible.
__________________
Don't like what I say? Ignore me!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Marvellous Chester's Avatar
Aristocratic Villain
Marvellous Chester - Get away from me pleb!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicestershire, England
Posts: 636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
Yer on the wrong side of the pond, and Im not a beer drinker but I appreciate the gesture. Maybe some water or something later. :p
If water is what pleases you, I shall give the beer to iron jones then.

Quote:
I've been harassing and telling off 'leet' skript kiddies and "hackers" for over a decade, and have received my share of death threats, etc, because I insulted their intelligence (or lack thereof) and my address was not hard to find (surely, they can google for sites to hack they're leet enough to find my address). I've actually invited some to come on over and let me "show you how we have fun down south" (A police report is as useful as closing the barn door after the horse has already run out). No takers surprisingly. If someone wants to silence me because I hurt their feelings or offended via the use of force, they better bring more force than I can and they better use it right out the gate. No, I'm not a self proclaimed bad-ass, I try to avoid conflict whenever possible.
Ah yes, nothing warms the heart quite like a death threat I swear to God (which ever one will listen) that dudes these days like to act all offended just so that they can sue you and get compensation for the "distress" you caused them. Over here, there are so many somethingophobes that it is increasingly difficult to criticize anything. When did it become socially unacceptable to dislike stuff?

We should bring back pistols at dawn. That's the more honourable way of solving disputes, none of this going through the courts nonsense with morally questionable lawyers.

*Mini tangent and no idea where it came from*

Last edited by Marvellous Chester; 07-29-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Moco Loco's Avatar
Dandy Lion
Moco Loco is a lion in a low place
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,911
Send a message via Skype™ to Moco Loco
Default

I started this thread almost three years ago and I'm proud to say I think it has aged well. When I first started it, the SJW zeitgeist had not yet reached me. For example, now we're told that some subjects cannot ever be joked about, rape, racism, etc-- what about jokes about murder? Isn't murder worse than both of those, as bad as they are? What about dead baby jokes? Really, the irony of the SJW/MRA struggle is that they're both offended very easily and claim the other's feeling of being offended is lesser than their own at every opportunity.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-20-2015, 04:41 AM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones hasn't received an infraction since 2011
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco Loco View Post
I started this thread almost three years ago and I'm proud to say I think it has aged well. When I first started it, the SJW zeitgeist had not yet reached me. For example, now we're told that some subjects cannot ever be joked about, rape, racism, etc-- what about jokes about murder? Isn't murder worse than both of those, as bad as they are? What about dead baby jokes? Really, the irony of the SJW/MRA struggle is that they're both offended very easily and claim the other's feeling of being offended is lesser than their own at every opportunity.
I think it's best just to offend everyone.
__________________


Misery Forever.

O vos ómnes qui transítis per víam, atténdite et vidéte
Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Marvellous Chester's Avatar
Aristocratic Villain
Marvellous Chester - Get away from me pleb!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicestershire, England
Posts: 636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_jones
I think it's best just to offend everyone.
Absolutely this.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-21-2015, 01:08 AM
Clarke's Avatar
Karyu
Clarke wants his own Avatar.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Scotland, 140 years too early
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Stag View Post
Absolutely this.
That's called being a troll, and is even less productive than "Check your privelidge" stuff.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Marvellous Chester's Avatar
Aristocratic Villain
Marvellous Chester - Get away from me pleb!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicestershire, England
Posts: 636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke
That's called being a troll, and is even less productive than "Check your privelidge" stuff.
I would argue that trolling and speaking your mind are quite different. I believe in treating everybody the same, so were I to offend some and not others I would not just violate my own code but could also be accused of discrimination.

Last edited by Marvellous Chester; 03-21-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-22-2015, 02:00 AM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones hasn't received an infraction since 2011
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,848
Default

I have never seen the word Troll thrown about so much to where it almost has no meaning . Until I came here.
__________________


Misery Forever.

O vos ómnes qui transítis per víam, atténdite et vidéte
Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-24-2015, 02:15 AM
Crickett's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
Crickett has no status.
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco Loco View Post
I started this thread almost three years ago and I'm proud to say I think it has aged well. When I first started it, the SJW zeitgeist had not yet reached me.

I had no idea it existed until between the time I posted this.....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Sorry, but I disagree with the sentiment. As with everything, there is a line that can be crossed. There are lots of arguments about where that line is, where it should be, but if you're far enough past that line, it becomes very blatantly not okay.


I use super-generic terms there because that I just said can be said about almost anything, not just humor. As essentially all liquor ads are required to say: 'everything in moderation'.

....and this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
So, having just run into the level of hypersensitivity that exists in some places on the internet (thankfully not a first hand encounter), I feel I owe you a bit of an apology.

And now I just weep for the future. You know someone is going to accuse Avatar 2 of being racist and culturally appropriative and that will snowball whenever the first trailer hits. You know it's coming.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:42 PM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.