Conservative/Libertarian Environmentalist Unite!!! - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » General Forums » Environmentalism

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned
PunkMaister censored by the PTB
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico
Posts: 306
Lightbulb Conservative/Libertarian Environmentalist Unite!!!

Since is painfully obvious that the radical left wants to use Environmentalist to erase libertarianism and freedom from the face of the Earth, there is no choice but for those of that do care for the environment as well as our freedom to unite

Here are some links to get started.


Republicans for Environmental Protection

The Right Conservative Position On The Environment


CREATING A CONSERVATIVE ENVIRONMENTALISM

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Isard's Avatar
Old Guard
Isard -- Wait, you do hear the voices right?
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,416
Send a message via Skype™ to Isard
Default

Does not compute.
__________________
The Emperor protects
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned
PunkMaister censored by the PTB
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aihwa View Post
Does not compute.
For radical leftists I'm sure it doesn't...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Olo'eyktan
Woodsprite is free.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,156
Default

I care about the environment, but I don't think it's in imminent danger because of humans. I think we should be good stewards, but I also understand how we aren't a major contributing factor to any kind of carbon emmissions.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned
PunkMaister censored by the PTB
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico
Posts: 306
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsprite View Post
I care about the environment, but I don't think it's in imminent danger because of humans. I think we should be good stewards, but I also understand how we aren't a major contributing factor to any kind of carbon emmissions.
Interesting because as you can see not all conservatives agree on this. But what they all agree is that it should never be used to grow the sphere of government which is what the radical left is after with the implementation of a huge big brother government. And there are many green technologies coming along that could help forestall the scenario that we see in the movie which like you I do not see as imminent but unlike you as possible if we just keep as we are today.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Tsyal Makto's Avatar
Tsulfätu
Tsyal Makto glad to be home!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Body - Chicago, Spirit - Pandora
Posts: 1,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsprite View Post
I care about the environment, but I don't think it's in imminent danger because of humans. I think we should be good stewards, but I also understand how we aren't a major contributing factor to any kind of carbon emmissions.
Carbon isn't the only problem, IMO the bigger one is pollution. People can reasonably claim that global warming is a natural process, but I don't know how people can claim that the planet naturally grew smog and garbage.
__________________


The Dreamer's Manifesto

Mike Malloy, a voice of reason in a world gone mad.

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off." - Tyler Durden
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Olo'eyktan
Woodsprite is free.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsyal Makto View Post
Carbon isn't the only problem, IMO the bigger one is pollution. People can reasonably claim that global warming is a natural process, but I don't know how people can claim that the planet naturally grew smog and garbage.
You're thinking of big cities. Think about the rest of the world. I mean, volcanoes are probably the biggest contributer to greenhouse gases. But does global warming really exist? My contention is: no.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-21-2010, 01:41 AM
Banned
PunkMaister censored by the PTB
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico
Posts: 306
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsprite View Post
You're thinking of big cities. Think about the rest of the world. I mean, volcanoes are probably the biggest contributer to greenhouse gases. But does global warming really exist? My contention is: no.

Global Warming is a misnomer truth be told, the name for it should really be climate change. Now a lot of hype and alarmist innuendos have been thrown into this as well, which doesn't help the situation at all.

So the answer for is there climate change and do humans have something to do with it? The answer is yes, our emissions do have an impact.

Now does that mean Earth is now hopelessly doomed to die unless we all embrace a one world Marxist government as the radical left wants? Absolutely not!

There are already green technologies and Eco-friendly technologies available that can reduce and ultimately forestall any damage and we most certainly won't get into the situation we see in the Avatar movie unless we become so blind and retarded to do something like that and I don't give a hoot what the leftists of this board, one in particular has to say about it.

Is Ironic that the left asks why are there bike paths for communities but not big brother legislation to do this or that. They just don't get it. The first was a result of the action of individuals within those communities who got others involved and through their individual action managed to get those Bike paths not through a mandate forcing those paths to be built or people to forcefully ride bikes etc.

The equation is simple really Any Government big enough to give you all you want is also big enough to take all you have.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Spock's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Spock is hopeful.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 886
Default

Your title is extremely misleading, it insinuates that only the right can be environmentalists, which is totally wrong. I see that you wished to copy my idea, which is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkMaister View Post
So the answer for is there climate change and do humans have something to do with it? The answer is yes, our emissions do have an impact.
We agree on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkMaister View Post
Now does that mean Earth is now hopelessly doomed to die unless we all embrace a one world Marxist government as the radical left wants? Absolutely not!
Your making it out as if Marxism is worse than what it really is, you are responsible for the major stigma the world has about it. I'm not saying that we're hoplessly doomed without it, I'm just saying we could save the majority of the world's population with a socialist world order whereas only a few million magnates with enough money to protect themselves from destruction with survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkMaister View Post
There are already green technologies and Eco-friendly technologies available that can reduce and ultimately forestall any damage and we most certainly won't get into the situation we see in the Avatar movie unless we become so blind and retarded to do something like that and I don't give a hoot what the leftists of this board, one in particular has to say about it.
Capitalism is blind and retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkMaister View Post
Is Ironic that the left asks why are there bike paths for communities but not big brother legislation to do this or that. They just don't get it. The first was a result of the action of individuals within those communities who got others involved and through their individual action managed to get those Bike paths not through a mandate forcing those paths to be built or people to forcefully ride bikes etc.
Poor example. When individuals work togethor to make something get done, like the November revolution in 1917 Russia, that makes it a collective movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkMaister View Post
The equation is simple really Any Government big enough to give you all you want is also big enough to take all you have.
Oh, but why would they do that if they're risking revolution?
__________________
Live long and prosper
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Sonoran Na'vi's Avatar
Pa'li Makto
Sonoran Na'vi is impatient to continue onto grad school.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 299
Default

In my observation, environmentalism seems to be easier for those that have a left leaning view of economics to reconcile because many of the solutions proposed by environmentalism involves regulating business practices. This is mainly to control negative externalities that are produced by such practices. It seems that those on the right are not in favor of regulation to such a strong degree. Thus, the main point of conflict seems to be over economic view points.

The inability to take care of the environment while using it for resources and the inability to adapt to unforeseen environmental changes have played a part in the fall of numerous societies (The Sumerian, Greenland Norse, and Anasazi come to mind right away). I believe most people, both on the right and the left, believe a healthy environment is important for a society. The main disagreements seem to be centered on what practices to implement and to what degree.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,750
Default

I'm a libertarian. I think that even if 'global warming' (or 'climate change' as they renamed it when it became obvious temperatures weren't changing) is a transparent excuse to raise taxes and increase micromanagement.

I do think the environment is important, but there are FAR more important issues than agonising over releasing 0.00001% more CO2... The real important issues are ones like deforestation and the destruction of natural environments.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned
PunkMaister censored by the PTB
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Your title is extremely misleading, it insinuates that only the right can be environmentalists, which is totally wrong. I see that you wished to copy my idea, which is ok.
No I did not, I made clear I was talking about the Radical left and not the left in general so sorry in this case you are wrong, try again.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-22-2010, 02:26 AM
Iknimaya's Avatar
Numeyu
Iknimaya is pensive...
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 87
Send a message via AIM to Iknimaya Send a message via Skype™ to Iknimaya
Default

"Red and Blue have nothing to do with Green."

Seriously, separate petty politics from the task of keeping our planet in good condition. We are ALL living here.

You can't tell me you enjoy stuff like this: 10 Ugly Rivers of the World | ZuZu Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknimaya View Post
You know, I've never understood why environmentalism is so connected with politics. I wish it wasn't. It's so hard to have a meaningful discussion about the environment without tempers flaring or just simply being ignored because you're perceived as being on the other side of the left/right.

I was interested in conservation long before politics, and still the only reason I care for politics is because the two are connected. Why is it just the "radical leftist treehuggers" that care about our planet? Shouldn't everyone be involved in the conversation? Isn't the health of the Earth bigger than any silly disputes we might have amongst ourselves?

I'm advocating a separation of environmentalism and politics. There is no need to preach a doctrine one way or the other. Everyone should be involved.
Separation Of Environmentalism And Politics.
__________________
"I shut my eyes in order to see"
-Paul Gauguin
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-22-2010, 04:41 AM
Olo'eyktan
Woodsprite is free.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,156
Default

^ Hm, yeah. Kind of like how Jefferson referred to "separation between church and state" as meaning how the government couldn't force itself on the church, or establish a state church, not that you couldn't pray in schools or the like. I mean, Congress held prayer meetings in the Capitol.

Same exists with environmentalism, but the only reason why the government is involving itself is to push more regulation on the public.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-22-2010, 04:46 AM
Sovereign's Avatar
Sig-Making Guy
Sovereign is no longer in Washington, D.C.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 335
Send a message via AIM to Sovereign
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsprite View Post
Same exists with environmentalism, but the only reason why the government is involving itself is to push more regulation on the public.
There's a compelling argument to be made about "market failure" in the case of environmentalism due to the Tragedy of the Commons. Now, how one goes about correcting market failure (specifically the undervaluation or even flat-out assumption the environment has no value) is another story entirely. Market-based policies such as Cap and Trade (which is not, as much as the American Right likes to squeal, as radical as it sounds--it was done under Clinton successfully for sulfur and is supported by economists) is an example of a politically-feasible and market-friendly solution. Government sets an overall ceiling and lets the market figure out how to reach that solution efficiently. I believe there is a sufficient level of market failure to justify some government intervention (usually in the form of "We set the overall limit, do whatever you want to get there").

Mandates ("Cut pollution by 10 tons or else") tend to be less efficient, and possibly less effective.
__________________

(Click image to give me Tsahaylu! -- Tsahaylu Count: 127)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:25 PM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.