How did Avatar Earth become totally deforested? - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » Avatar » General Avatar Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned
PunkMaister censored by the PTB
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico
Posts: 306
Question How did Avatar Earth become totally deforested?

I do have to ask because it cannot be that people decided to mow down all national parks in fact if Obama was to declare that he is going to mow down Yellowstone, cover up the grand canyon to make a Stadium etc, people would have his head on a pike the next day, seriously!
It had to be a disease brought by climate change or something along those lines.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 PM
txen's Avatar
Pa'li Makto
txen living beyond the pale.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 344
Default

It's not really covered well as far as I know. Somehow I have a hard time believing it. The earth has a lot of land that goes almost straight up and down, yet has trees. That land is just not all that useful to people. Even with various diseases and climate change I still just don't see it happening 100%.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:58 PM
madman's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
madman teya yawne
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Merced CA. USA
Posts: 563
Send a message via ICQ to madman Send a message via MSN to madman
Default

I agree. I kind of beleive hat when Jake makes the comment about earth having no green, it is more of a general statement. I don't think he meant ALL of earth.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Txum_kali'weya's Avatar
Stupid Sky Person...
Txum_kali'weya is a stupid sky person...
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Terra, NA, US, AK, Fairbanks.
Posts: 837
Default

Nuclear war.
__________________
"Sky People do not See, they do not learn" - Neytiri

[Today 11:06 PM] tallbluewanderer: logic must give way to AVATAR

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Devourment's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
Devourment has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West MA
Posts: 522
Default

Overpopulation.
__________________

"You know what, World? You got me cornered again,
I'm gonna role another joint."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2010, 01:07 AM
Banned
PunkMaister censored by the PTB
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico
Posts: 306
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txum_kali'weya View Post
Nuclear war.
Then there would not be that many people as most would have perished as a result of that nuclear war. Unless most of those are RDA grown worker clones. I would not be surprised if that were the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourment View Post
Overpopulation.
Try again because to blame that alone is just so out there is not even funny. What the people ate all the trees, plants and blades of grass on the planet? Hmm I had no clue bark tasted so good.

Last edited by PunkMaister; 04-27-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Sonoran Na'vi's Avatar
Pa'li Makto
Sonoran Na'vi is impatient to continue onto grad school.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkMaister View Post
I do have to ask because it cannot be that people decided to mow down all national parks in fact if Obama was to declare that he is going to mow down Yellowstone, cover up the grand canyon to make a Stadium etc, people would have his head on a pike the next day, seriously!
It had to be a disease brought by climate change or something along those lines.
It is not too far fetched to believe people can completely deforest the environment in which they live; though, I don't see it happening on a global scale with much probability. An example of a society that completely deforested their environment was the inhabitants of Easter Island. But so far I do believe we have deforested about a half of the planet's forests and jungles.

On the flip side, there have been societies that have done a great job of protecting their environment from deforestation. Japan would be an example of this. One thing to note is, while Japan may have protected its own land from deforestation, this may have meant they purchased lumber from other countries that were/are in the process of deforesting the environment around them.
__________________
"I would rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are,
Because a could-be is a maybe that is reaching for a star.
I would rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far,
For a might-have-been has never been, but a has was once an are".
-Milton Berle
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 AM
Devourment's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
Devourment has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West MA
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkMaister View Post
Then there would not be that many people as most would have perished as a result of that nuclear war. Unless most of those are RDA grown worker clones. I would not be surprised if that were the case.


Try again because to blame that alone is just so out there is not even funny. What the people ate all the trees, plants and blades of grass on the planet? Hmm I had no clue bark tasted so good.
Used them for building, for fuel. In Haiti, people cut down all of the trees to make charcoal. Know what they eat? Mud. Now, with the earth's population growing at a larger and larger rate, and the way most people live in excess, In a 150 year period there's going to be a heck of a lot more of us. We're destroying an alarming amount of forests each year, and when people are dying and starving, national parks aren't going to mean diddly squat.
__________________

"You know what, World? You got me cornered again,
I'm gonna role another joint."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2010, 02:51 AM
Banned
PunkMaister censored by the PTB
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico
Posts: 306
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourment View Post
Used them for building, for fuel. In Haiti, people cut down all of the trees to make charcoal. Know what they eat? Mud. Now, with the earth's population growing at a larger and larger rate, and the way most people live in excess, In a 150 year period there's going to be a heck of a lot more of us. We're destroying an alarming amount of forests each year, and when people are dying and starving, national parks aren't going to mean diddly squat.
Actually that's not entirely true, the overpopulation problem is centered around the developing world specially Africa and not the developed world where Birth rates if anything have declined.

Haiti is a poor example as is the poorest nation on the face of this planet.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2010, 02:57 AM
Devourment's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
Devourment has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West MA
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkMaister View Post
Actually that's not entirely true, the overpopulation problem is centered around the developing world specially Africa and not the developed world where Birth rates if anything have declined.

Haiti is a poor example as is the poorest nation on the face of this planet.
If in this age a country can be like that, how do you expect it will be in 150 years when there's 20 billion people running around?
__________________

"You know what, World? You got me cornered again,
I'm gonna role another joint."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Banned
PunkMaister censored by the PTB
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico
Posts: 306
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourment View Post
If in this age a country can be like that, how do you expect it will be in 150 years when there's 20 billion people running around?
Except that as I said the overpopulation problem you keep arguing about is fixated on the third world meaning is a problem that has be dealt with on a nation by nation basis and not on a one solution fit all. And the answer is education, now I don;t care if Spock or anyone here advocates genocide or deliberate starvation of Africans and other so called undesirables because I will never side with such policies.

Frankly I doubt it will get that high, right now Africa is teetering just with the current population. Probably new diseases will spread from there as well as viruses are opportunists and such a swelling population is to viruses what fertilizer is to a plant.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-27-2010, 03:32 AM
Devourment's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
Devourment has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West MA
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkMaister View Post
Except that as I said the overpopulation problem you keep arguing about is fixated on the third world meaning is a problem that has be dealt with on a nation by nation basis and not on a one solution fit all. And the answer is education, now I don;t care if Spock or anyone here advocates genocide or deliberate starvation of Africans and other so called undesirables because I will never side with such policies.

Frankly I doubt it will get that high, right now Africa is teetering just with the current population. Probably new diseases will spread from there as well as viruses are opportunists and such a swelling population is to viruses what fertilizer is to a plant.

I expect a virus will wipe out most of the people living in horrible conditions where as the people in the first world will stay safe and protected and continue to breed like rabbits.
__________________

"You know what, World? You got me cornered again,
I'm gonna role another joint."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 AM
Banned
PunkMaister censored by the PTB
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico
Posts: 306
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourment View Post
I expect a virus will wipe out most of the people living in horrible conditions where as the people in the first world will stay safe and protected and continue to breed like rabbits.
The developed world is not where the overpopulation problem is but the third world, what part of that don't you understand? Geesh!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-27-2010, 03:41 AM
Devourment's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
Devourment has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West MA
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkMaister View Post
The developed world is not where the overpopulation problem is but the third world, what part of that don't you understand? Geesh!
That's right, Japan isn't overpopulated at all. Also, I'm not talking about now. I'm talking about 150 years in the future, which you seem to be forgetting.

In 1860, the US had a population of 31.5 million.
Today, 150 years later, the US has a population of 307 million.

That's a nearly 1000% increase in 150 years, and the current is only documented citizens, I'm sure there are several million illegals in the country as well.

Lets multiply 307 million by 10, and we get 3070 million people by 2160. Now, factor in medical advances which increase longevity and survival of infants, and you can see that overpopulation will be a major problem.
__________________

"You know what, World? You got me cornered again,
I'm gonna role another joint."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 AM
Banned
PunkMaister censored by the PTB
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico
Posts: 306
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourment View Post
That's right, Japan isn't overpopulated at all. Also, I'm not talking about now. I'm talking about 150 years in the future, which you seem to be forgetting.

In 1860, the US had a population of 31.5 million.
Today, 150 years later, the US has a population of 307 million.

That's a nearly 1000% increase in 150 years, and the current is only documented citizens, I'm sure there are several million illegals in the country as well.

Lets multiply 307 million by 10, and we get 3070 million people by 2160. Now, factor in medical advances which increase longevity and survival of infants, and you can see that overpopulation will be a major problem.
You are ignoring a lot of factors when making that comparison, people in the 19th century had large families that could be as many a 6 or even 8 children at times within a household. Where as today the average is 2 or 3. And yes Illegal immigration is a huge problem that needs to be capped otherwise the U.S will end up becoming inevitably another third world country. Is the same as when too many people straddle a lifeboat it just sinks. No nation has the capacity to absorb and unending number of immigrants which is what is happening with both former Republican and now Democrat policies.


But again keep in mind that the overpopulation problem is largely concentrated in Africa. And try not to ignore fact such as number of children in households today vs the number in the 19th century and so on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.tree-of-souls.com/general_avatar_discussion/1082-how_did_avatar_earth_become_totally_deforested.html
Posted By For Type Date
Pictures - avatar This thread Refback 09-07-2011 03:46 PM


Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.