Who are we? - Page 3 - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » General Forums » General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Mune's Avatar
Super Moderator
Mune is browsing the forums.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: At Wit's End
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Earth.
Made up of so much life... sentient life... is this life a part of something larger? We cannot grasp this using our physical senses - but yet we feel, know that there IS something. What is this, that makes us aware who we truly are?
Oh if only I knew the true answer to this question. There's SO much to question. Ultimately we want to come to a conclusion that isn't bias in any way. Or a decision that has been influenced.

Now- Organised religion is instantly crossed off the list because you're told what exists and how to worship it. Science is the same, with the exception of we are given 'evidence' that is perceivable with every one of our five senses. Ultimately it comes down to not using 'words' to try and find this thing. Mysticism, or MY personal version of mysticism, [I'm getting to a point where I'm making my own meaning for words, try and stop me. ] is probably the most important thing in my life at the moment.

Well, there's no 'probably' about it. Ultimately we have to find our answered without being influenced by what we have been brainwashed with.


Quote:
The cells of our bodies... they are lifeforms, but don't have any senses like we do - they cannot hear, think, they cannot see... yet, somehow our very cells have a memory of their own – they fill a purpose, every single part inside the cell does a specific task – yet lacks the physical senses to do so. The physical cell alone could not do what our cells actually do – they do something more, something beyond their physical capabilities. Why is this?
Mm, but can we say that they don't have any of the five senses? In the body, every cell must work, otherwise there's problems. Much like the human race. If in a team, one person isn't contributing- It can hugely effect the outcome.

I could entertain myself for years questioning 'Why' cells do what they do. Not 'How' but 'Why'. (and probably will question it for the rest of my life)

Ultimately there's something out of our perception visage. [If that's the right word]

If you've ever heard the quote "You can only see when your eyes are closed.", it brings a whole new meaning to the proverb.


Quote:
One by one, they could never have this ability - but all together, connected into forming one human being, they take part of this greater consciousness that is us. Our cells share our consciousness - and this gives every individual cell things that lies beyond its physical senses.

Us.
Many humans on Earth have a feeling there is something greater, something more - yet our physical senses tells us this is not the case. But we STILL have this feeling. We feel things that lies beyond our physical senses.

An explanation for this, would be that ALL life is a part of a greater consciousness - Earth. We are the very living organisms that is a part of Earth - just like our cells are the living organisms that makes us.

We can feel that there is something greater - because we are a PART of it.


Indeed. Every human knows that there's something weird about the fact that they can see, that they are conscious- (Although some refuse to admit it and cover it up quite nicely)

But ultimately, atoms could be Universes, our entire Universe could be a neutron. Who knows... It's mind-blowing. Considering this world, all energy is interconnected. No energy can be made or destroyed, only changed from one form to another... Known by Scientists as "Conservation of Energy"... It's interesting. Questioning why the energy is there in the first place.


Quote:
Watching that video - and realizing the insane complexity of our existence fills me with awe, but also with a great sadness. All of this, happens BILLIONS of times right now, inside me, inside all of us... and I sit here and drink Coke and type on my computer? It feels like... life is so wonderful, like all life is meant for something - and we are wasting that away... Every single lifeform is a masterpiece, something to deeply respect and appreciate.

There is so much... and it feels like we should appreciate and respect this so much more.
Agreed. The video really hits a point. It makes me realise how amazing this reality is... So many trillions of puzzle pieces and we've found not even one yet. On the grand scale of the Universe, we know how nothing works... Science constantly contradicts itself. Don't even get me started on organised-religion, and.. Yeah.

Seems the only one you can trust is yourself. But even then... Hm...

It's a case of the chance of your existence being infinitely small. The number is too small to even comprehend, yet here you are. You had 1/1000000 chance to come into existence from your fathers sperm... [To put it lightly], and you were the fastest... And if that's not a small enough chance, you wouldn't of been born if your parents hadn't been, and their parents, and their parents, and it goes on.

I've gotten to a point where I just think that nothing is 'luck' or coincidence any more, everything happens for a reason.

Without purpose, an item does not exist. Nor an organism.
__________________
Useful Links

The IRC Channel
http://www.tree-of-souls.com/irc/
Tree of Souls Updates
http://www.tree-of-souls.com/tree_of_souls_news/
Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.tree-of-souls.com/faq.php
Groups
http://www.tree-of-souls.com/groups/

If you have questions, send me a private message. If you are offended by any of the content on these Forums- Please use the 'Report Post' button.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-29-2010, 11:00 PM
auroraglacialis's Avatar
Tsulfätu
auroraglacialis can now be called "doctor"
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Europe
Posts: 1,622
Default

Eltu, what you describe is indeed fascinating and it intersects in many ways with the gaia theory and its more spiritual interpretations. The Gaia Theory states, that the Earth as a whole acts like an organism with all life on it acting like parts of that organism. The way I see it, individual lifeforms are like cells, ecosystems are like organs, water and air is like the blood, the solid earth is the skeleton. The organs communicate with each other and regulate each other and the whole system. Life on Earth made Earth habitable in the first place. The first algae produced oxygen and thereby eventuall the basis for other life. At some point there was enough oxygen to form an ozone layer and land was populated by life. If it was not for life on Earth, it would not be habitable by life.
This is a fascinating topic and I studied some of this in a more scientific context in university (Earth History and Earth System Science) - and the scientific look was not really always focussed on humans, the approach was rather wide.
However I do not really believe in a sentient Gaia that can control these systems, but the systems can react.
The notion that humans are like a virus came up on several occasions (once even in a scientific debate I took part in). Recently I revised that comparison and came to the conclusion that if anything, human civilization is like a cancer. Humans are part of the Earth, they are no intruder like a virus would be in an organism. Humans are harmless to Earth by themselves, they have been part of the system for millions of years. But the concept of civilization was a dangerous one - and it seems that some aspects of it have turned against the whole organism, taking over large parts of it, growing without control. Humans have destroyed or diminished some of the "organs" and thereby diminished the systems ability to heal or to regulate itself. Did you know that humans move around as much earth and soil and rocks as the earth itself by all natural processes? Someone said, global warming is like a fever - an attempt of the regulatory systems to eradicate the illness/danger/cancer that is human civilization.

So, I think we are part of a larger system. One that is obviously bigger than we ourselves, but some things we do threaten that bigger system or beeing (if you are more inclined to believe in a more sentient version of "Gaia").

Well - this is how I see it currently.
__________________
Know your idols: Who said "Hitler killed five million Jews. It is the greatest crime of our time. But the Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher's knife. They should have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs.". (Solution: "Mahatma" Ghandi)

Stop terraforming Earth (wordpress)

"Humans are storytellers. These stories then can become our reality. Only when we loose ourselves in the stories they have the power to control us. Our culture got lost in the wrong story, a story of death and defeat, of opression and control, of separation and competition. We need a new story!"

Last edited by auroraglacialis; 05-30-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Advent's Avatar
Mother Falcon
Advent is feeling bittersweet
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Somewhere home
Posts: 2,972
Default

Humans. Though so many doubt it, we might as well be the most advanced sentient species in the milky way.
SWEET!
But, our 'purpose' in life, has always been a mystery. Scientifically, we live to reproduce. Religiously, we live to worship our deities. But, no matter what we do, things don't change.
We live lives of up to 70 to 100 years. We could become leaders, or scientists, and make breakthroughs or revolutions. But when we die, nothing has really changed. We're essentially just 'paving the road' for the next generation.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Clarke's Avatar
Karyu
Clarke wants his own Avatar.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Scotland, 140 years too early
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltu View Post
Does scientific knowledge bring happiness? No.
Personally, I think it's amazing that we can manipulate the fundamental constituents of reality like rats in a maze. We can command these small pieces of everything in such volume and with such precision that we can build machines that can out-perform the human mind in almost all the tasks we can present it. Not only that, these artificial minds can talk to each other so quickly and so densely that even the combined brain power of everyone on Earth could not hope to follow a fraction of their conversations.

And do you know what? The smallest components of these minds, the transistor, is smaller than visible light itself. A CPU is more intricately designed than a Swiss watch, with around the same amount of component parts as a cell. It is a marvel of engineering, and nothing even comparable to it can be reproduced without decades of scientific research.

I think it's amazing that we can produce one of these things, let alone produce them by the million and integrate them into every aspect of our lives. If you don't believe me, work out where the nearest CPU to you is. I doubt it's far away.

Plants? You can't test plants. They just sit there, showing neither pain nor fear. That isn't science. (Cookies to anyone who can tell me who I'm quoting. )
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Eltu's Avatar
Administrator
Eltu is home.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 2,418
Default

I should add that my above statement doesn't hold true for everyone. Obviously different people enjoys different things - but I do believe that humanity as a whole could be much happier if we sought other kinds of knowledge.

My opinion, and nobody has to agree - but there it is.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-06-2011, 02:00 AM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,750
Default

Knowledge brings happiness. Look out at the universe, and it is the most beautiful thing on Earth. Living on fear and superstition prevents people form understanding something, and it is only by understanding anything that you can appreciate it fully.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-06-2011, 04:10 AM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones hasn't received an infraction since 2011
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,853
Default

IMHO, we are nothing more than highly intelligent beings who screw and make more of us and then die.

And also...

WE ARE, WE ARE ALL INNOCENT

__________________


Misery Forever.

O vos ómnes qui transítis per víam, atténdite et vidéte
Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 AM
Pa'li Makto's Avatar
Palulukan Makto
Pa'li Makto : Once ate an octopus.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,909
Default

I think we are part of a bigger picture and that picture is mother nature /Gaia/ Earth.
__________________
Always listening to The Orb: O.O.B.E...



My fanfic

"The man who learns only what others know is as ignorant as if he learns nothing.
The treasures of knowledge are the most rare, and guarded most harshly."
-Chronicle of the First Age


"Try to see the forest through her eyes."

Réalisant mon espoir, Je me lance vers la gloire. Je ne regrette rien. (Making my hope come true, I hurl myself toward glory. I regret nothing.)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Raiden's Avatar
Outlier
Raiden BIOSYNTHETIC LIFEFORM #R41-D3N
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,072
Default

We were part of a bigger picture.

The moment that the majority of humankind started living in cities, that came to an end.

Humanity has ceased evolution as a species and separated itself from the vital control system that is our biosphere, and soon we will pay very dearly for that.
__________________
Modern technology owes ecology an apology.

Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

Last edited by Raiden; 08-06-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-06-2011, 04:26 AM
Pa'li Makto's Avatar
Palulukan Makto
Pa'li Makto : Once ate an octopus.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,909
Default

Very true, but I think that we are still energy that is given by mother nature and that we should give our energy to grow things and to ensure life continues..However, not at the detriment of other creatures or the land.
__________________
Always listening to The Orb: O.O.B.E...



My fanfic

"The man who learns only what others know is as ignorant as if he learns nothing.
The treasures of knowledge are the most rare, and guarded most harshly."
-Chronicle of the First Age


"Try to see the forest through her eyes."

Réalisant mon espoir, Je me lance vers la gloire. Je ne regrette rien. (Making my hope come true, I hurl myself toward glory. I regret nothing.)
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-06-2011, 04:48 AM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Humanity has ceased evolution as a species and separated itself from the vital control system that is our biosphere, and soon we will pay very dearly for that.
How on earth do you figure that we've STOPPED evolving? As a species in our current form, we're only....what, a few hundred thousand years old? A hundred thousand years old? If that. We've lived in cities for a few thousand years. We're still mutating, still changing - if nothing else, modern medicine means that babies who would have been too big to fit through their mother's birth-canal are now walking around as adults, having children of their own. Other people who would otherwise die thanks to illness and disease are surviving, passing their genes on, keeping mutations in the gene pool.

(Unless you are suggesting that we stop having modern medicine, so we go back to 'survival of the fittest', and let an awful lot of people die...?)

Just because in the past few DECADES more people are living in cities than not doesn't mean we've stopped mutating genetically. And at the heart of it, that's all evolution really is.
__________________

Last edited by Ashen Key; 08-06-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Fosus's Avatar
Tsulfätu
Fosus can not has status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,569
Send a message via Skype™ to Fosus
Default

I be Fosus.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Raiden's Avatar
Outlier
Raiden BIOSYNTHETIC LIFEFORM #R41-D3N
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen Key View Post
How on earth do you figure that we've STOPPED evolving?
Evolution, by definition, is the process by which a species "improves" itself by having certain traits selected for by random events that allow that specific trait to propagate itself.

We are not doing that.

Evolution is not genetic mutation; genetic mutation is merely one of the vehicles by which evolution might occur. In order for a genetic mutation to cause evolution, it must do something to improve that single animal's quality of life.

For example, imagine a population of day geckos (genus Phelsuma ;D ). Day geckos are lizards that forage for insects in trees in jungles.

Now, let's say that one male gecko, by chance, has a mutation occur that causes a keratin buildup in the skin of its upper jaw. This would make the upper jaw harden, and appear almost like a beak.

Now let's say that this single gecko makes it to adulthood, and learns to use the "beak" to tear apart rotten wood to look for insects. This gecko would then be exploited two food sources, and therefore be more desirable as a mating partner than other males.

If this male manages to mate, and this trait is passed on and expressed, then you'll maybe wind up with a couple more of these "beaked" geckos. If these geckos also use this trait successfully, and there are no natural disasters to interrupt its new strategy, then that right there is evolution; a genetic mutation has given a trait that is beneficial to an individual animal, and that animal passes it to its offspring.

If that animal's offspring make it, then speciation, the emergence of a new species, could occur.

Genetic mutations alone do not cause evolution unless they confer a desirable, heritable trait to that animal's offspring.

The use of medicine to save children with genetic differences or defects deters evolution, because the other side of evolution, or natural selection, is that individuals with different traits that confer significant disadvantages usually die, almost never mate, and may have bad gametes.

The vehicle of evolution is not keeping mutations in the gene pool, it is the perpetuation of certain "mutations" in the pool that stick around because they are useful and the removal of other mutations that vanish because they are disadvantageous or outright fatal.

So yes, in order for us to continue evolving, healthcare for deformed and defective babies would need to cease, and they might even need to be killed.

On the other hand, we don't need to evolve any more. What could we possibly need that we don't already have? Being a race of sentient, sapient beings, all we need to do is limit the population to conserve the health of the rest of the planet. Evolving further would be pointless now.

Besides, I'd rather not start killing off Down's Syndrome babies. Eugenics is a dangerous and morally slippery slope into madness.
__________________
Modern technology owes ecology an apology.

Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

Last edited by Raiden; 08-06-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Moco Loco's Avatar
Dandy Lion
Moco Loco is a lion in a low place
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,911
Send a message via Skype™ to Moco Loco
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
The use of medicine to save children with genetic differences or defects deters evolution, because the other side of evolution, or natural selection, is that individuals with different traits that confer significant disadvantages usually die, almost never mate, and may have bad gametes.
In societies without proper healthcare, I wouldn't really say evolution has stopped. I know that's a tiny example, but it punches a hole through your argument anyway. I guess other than that, you're right, evolution has stopped, but I do not at all think we are done changing as a species.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Raiden's Avatar
Outlier
Raiden BIOSYNTHETIC LIFEFORM #R41-D3N
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco Loco View Post
In societies without proper healthcare, I wouldn't really say evolution has stopped. I know that's a tiny example, but it punches a hole through your argument anyway. I guess other than that, you're right, evolution has stopped, but I do not at all think we are done changing as a species.
Yeah, I wasn't saying that all of humanity is like that, though.

The problem with the changes we are making, though, is that it isn't really going anywhere in particular, which makes it something different from evolution, because "proper" evolution always makes species go a specific way; like one species splitting into two, or one species changing foraging or mating/courtship habits.
__________________
Modern technology owes ecology an apology.

Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:06 AM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.