Help DemandProgress stop Internet IDs - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » General Forums » General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Sight Unseen's Avatar
Karyu
Sight Unseen is a perfectly ordinary magical unicorn.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,374
Default Help DemandProgress stop Internet IDs

Yes, you read that right. Quoting the email I got:
Quote:
Ty,

Have you heard? The US government is developing virtual ID cards for Internet users -- and they could pose a severe threat to our privacy!

The proposal is called the "National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace” and the draft indicates that we'd be forced to use them for any online transactions with the government, and for online interactions with businesses that choose to use them.

It's a draft proposal, so we still have a chance to convince government officials to re-write it so that it respects our privacy rights: Will you click here to send them a message?

If the system is fully implemented you'll have one centralized online ID, making it even easier to track your online activity: Officials need to make sure any proposal maintains Americans' rights to privacy and anonymity.

The government shouldn't be forcing Americans to use Internet ID cards. Please click here, and stand up for Internet privacy before it's too late.

Thanks for your support.

-- The Demand Progress team
Help them stop this abomination. Sign now!

Also, show you support for Ron Wyden, a senator who stood up against the internet blacklist.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Isard's Avatar
Old Guard
Isard -- Wait, you do hear the voices right?
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,416
Send a message via Skype™ to Isard
Default

Kind of a silly thing to make a fuss over.

Quote:
the draft indicates that we'd be forced to use them for any online transactions with the government, and for online interactions with businesses that choose to use them.
The if you're doing business with the government online... They should probably know who you are anyway. And if a company wants to know who you are... Its not that difficult to find out. Tbh, this is just making it simpler. The only people I could understand not wanting a centralized account for doing business are people who conduct illegal transactions or who buy porn.

Because I, like most people, don't bother spoofing an IP address or do anything to hide ourselves online. Mainly because we have nothing to hide.


And chances are, most sites that you don't want to know who you are, don't care who you are.
__________________
:psyduck:
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2011, 04:40 AM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,751
Default

Done. Everyone needs to do this, it takes one minute.

Aihwa/Isard, that coming from the same person who was earlier complaining about social security IDs or whatever and how easy it is to track people by those? - I know you claim to have multiple personalities or whatever but that is purely fictional and the level of hypocrisy you display amazes me - you clearly use the *chans (I can always recognise another ), yet you support censorship - WTF?
This will make government sponsored invasion of privacy even easier.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-14-2011, 05:35 AM
Sight Unseen's Avatar
Karyu
Sight Unseen is a perfectly ordinary magical unicorn.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human No More View Post
I know you claim to hav multiple personalities or whatever but that is purely ictional and the elvel of hypocrisy you display amazes me - you clearly use the *chans (I can always recognise another ), yet you support censorship - WTF?
This will make government sponsored invasion of privacy even easier.
Really, this has nothing to do with censorship (the govt. controlling flow of info to the citizen), they're trying to make everyone use an ID system, hence a privacy matter.

Hmm... yes. chan users. True that. (interesting, I've seen lolz appear here on ToS before appearing on 4chan, coincidence?)

And as far as privacy, I disagree with Isard/Aihwa about that. You shouldn't have to worry about what to hide and what not to hide in the first place. The internet should be anonymous. In an ideal world, one wouldn't have to sap the life out of their connection with Tor or an SSL proxy to gain anonymity.

Last edited by Sight Unseen; 01-14-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Isard's Avatar
Old Guard
Isard -- Wait, you do hear the voices right?
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,416
Send a message via Skype™ to Isard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human No More View Post
Done. Everyone needs to do this, it takes one minute.

Aihwa/Isard, that coming from the same person who was earlier complaining about social secutity IDs or whatever and how easy it is to track people by those? - I know you claim to hav multiple personalities or whatever but that is purely ictional and the elvel of hypocrisy you display amazes me - you clearly use the *chans (I can always recognize another ), yet you support censorship - WTF?
This will make government sponsored invasion of privacy even easier.
I was complaining about the possibility of social security ID numbers and their corresponding owners being released to the public. If this system were to be implemented, I would have the same concern. However, being able to easily prove your identity on the internet would in fact be a boon to some rather than a detriment. The rest won't really care. Again, I have nothing to hide, so why should I fear?


((And you're UK, stay out of US political actions.))

Also, if you wish to discuss my attempt at engineering a dissociative personality disorder, please pm me about it. My personalities I've designed do not conflict in their views, only on how they express them. (give or take some philosophical differences, but policy-wise their views align with my own)


I also want it publicly know that I left 4chan long ago and have never gone back. 4chan as it was died. Now its a pale shadow trying to ape what we accomplished. Or didn't accomplish. You know what I mean.
__________________
:psyduck:

Last edited by Isard; 01-14-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Tsyal Makto's Avatar
Tsulfätu
Tsyal Makto glad to be home!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Body - Chicago, Spirit - Pandora
Posts: 1,873
Default

Even if you have nothing to hide, you still shouldn't be forced to give up your anonymity if you choose to use it, even for no better reason than that you simply can. It's been the law of the land on the Internet now ever since it's creation, why change it now? What will become of whistleblowers? What will become of those who want to let truths be known, but are too afraid for themselves to do so without anonymity? There are people out there that DO have things to hide, but they are also on our side. What of them? Do we force them into the open and get torn apart by either the government or corporations?

Anonymity is a cornerstone of Internet freedom, let's keep it that way.
__________________


The Dreamer's Manifesto

Mike Malloy, a voice of reason in a world gone mad.

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off." - Tyler Durden

Last edited by Tsyal Makto; 01-14-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Isard's Avatar
Old Guard
Isard -- Wait, you do hear the voices right?
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,416
Send a message via Skype™ to Isard
Default

But you don't have to?


Am I the only one reading that?

If a forum asks for your ID, don't use it?

Is this that hard to understand?
__________________
:psyduck:
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2011, 01:47 AM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,751
Default

Did you even read the page?

...of course not

If you want to give away all your details, go for it, but let people make their own choices.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Txantsulsam Fyawintxu's Avatar
Pa'li Makto
Txantsulsam Fyawintxu is glad to be back here!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 256
Default

Hmm... I'm not sure whether to sign up with this or not, but I've had visions of the internet breaking down its greatest demand; freedom & truth. If this is true, I'm definitely signing up.. I hope we can solve this before it happens. The demand for control and fear of losing security is its greatest downfall. That's why I don't see it happening unless the Congress really pushes it out there.. But knowing the United States Congress, they're willing to do anything to gain power even if the President tries to stop them. Considering this such ill-fated flaw and having read the newspapers, I've decided to stop this before it's too late by signing for this upcoming battle. We should not lose our freedoms just because one giant council believes it should rule the People over with its insane amount of power... It's getting ridiculous to the point where people think they're powerless and can't do anything to stop them when it is us who initially created the Government itself (George Washington comes to mind)... Honestly, I wish the United States had it's original principles back in place so we could have a life filled with prosperity and peace but it's apparent that now people here in the USA are mostly too lazy to stand and take action. Whatever the end result would be, I'm not allowing them to take away our freedoms and assault us with what should be and should not be... Should this route take place, I foresee very terrible events occurring in the next couple decades.. I just hope it doesn't happen anytime soon...

More Info on Internet Freedom: http://www.naturalnews.com/030647_Wi...eutrality.html
__________________






Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has...

Last edited by Txantsulsam Fyawintxu; 01-16-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Sight Unseen's Avatar
Karyu
Sight Unseen is a perfectly ordinary magical unicorn.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txantsulsam Fyawintxu View Post
Should this route take place, I foresee very terrible events occurring in the next couple decades.. I just hope it doesn't happen anytime soon...
So I guess I'm not the only one that sees the storm on the horizon. Are we living in the "roaring twenties" of the internet?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Txantsulsam Fyawintxu's Avatar
Pa'li Makto
Txantsulsam Fyawintxu is glad to be back here!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 256
Default

Heh, you are definitely not alone Sight Unseen. If there's anything that I know of from the American government, it's not the same as it once was... And I know that even the littlest of things can drastically change a whole system, given the chance. Almost like the chaos theory at work, but right here in our very own county. I'm personally not so much against the government as much as the actions that are being provided to us when we didn't even really vote for it. Almost none of us did as far as I know, and the politicians are the one making all the deals right now under our noses without us even knowing about it. It sucks and I refuse to go down that route. If the internet freedom is taken away, I'll raise my fists and create a roaring steam to the populace and wake them up to create change if necessary.. Lol
__________________






Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Tsyal Makto's Avatar
Tsulfätu
Tsyal Makto glad to be home!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Body - Chicago, Spirit - Pandora
Posts: 1,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txantsulsam Fyawintxu View Post
Heh, you are definitely not alone Sight Unseen. If there's anything that I know of from the American government, it's not the same as it once was... And I know that even the littlest of things can drastically change a whole system, given the chance. Almost like the chaos theory at work, but right here in our very own county. I'm personally not so much against the government as much as the actions that are being provided to us when we didn't even really vote for it. Almost none of us did as far as I know, and the politicians are the one making all the deals right now under our noses without us even knowing about it. It sucks and I refuse to go down that route. If the internet freedom is taken away, I'll raise my fists and create a roaring steam to the populace and wake them up to create change if necessary.. Lol
That's because the government doesn't answer to the voters anymore, they answer to corporate and religious America. Voting is just mass social masturbation these days. If they really did answer to the voters, this wouldn't be happening. The government works toward such fascist control, because the military-industrial-media-corporate-religious complex demands it from them, and the last thing standing between them and a totalitarian corporatocracy is the internet, the last bastion of true freedom.

Case-in-point, look at Tunisia right now. They're in fully-blown revolution, and many believe it was sparked by the internet and Wikileaks. Now, if the dirty laundry from the Tunisian government was enough to cause the people to overthrow it, imagine what would happen if the vast quantities of dirty laundry from the American government was made known to us? That's why they want to control the internet, it's just the aristocracy trying to protect it's own collective well-padded ass.
__________________


The Dreamer's Manifesto

Mike Malloy, a voice of reason in a world gone mad.

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off." - Tyler Durden

Last edited by Tsyal Makto; 01-16-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Fosus's Avatar
Tsulfätu
Fosus can not has status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,569
Send a message via Skype™ to Fosus
Default

Bleh. Such ID's would make the internet world any better place.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsyal Makto View Post
That's because the government doesn't answer to the voters anymore, they answer to corporate and religious America. Voting is just mass social masturbation these days. If they really did answer to the voters, this wouldn't be happening. The government works toward such fascist control, because the military-industrial-media-corporate-religious complex demands it from them, and the last thing standing between them and a totalitarian corporatocracy is the internet, the last bastion of true freedom.

Case-in-point, look at Tunisia right now. They're in fully-blown revolution, and many believe it was sparked by the internet and Wikileaks. Now, if the dirty laundry from the Tunisian government was enough to cause the people to overthrow it, imagine what would happen if the vast quantities of dirty laundry from the American government was made known to us? That's why they want to control the internet, it's just the aristocracy trying to protect it's own collective well-padded ass.
Well said

When the revolution happens, the current governments will be the first to go, and the world will be a better place for it
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Sight Unseen's Avatar
Karyu
Sight Unseen is a perfectly ordinary magical unicorn.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human No More View Post
Well said

When the revolution happens, the current governments will be the first to go, and the world will be a better place for it
^This. I just wonder what exactly will set it off, because whatever it is will have to be global, drastic, and passed with little public knowledge. (maybe when the key to insurance.aes256 is released?)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:59 AM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.