Questions - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » General Forums » General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 PM
The Man in Black's Avatar
Taronyu
The Man in Black Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 482
Send a message via Skype™ to The Man in Black
Default Questions

Bear with me here, this is gonna be long, please don't tl;dr.

I have some questions for everyone on this site. Before I go into them, let me mention a few things so you understand why I'm posting this thread. First of all, I am very interested in human psychology. Second of all, I am VERY interested in how psychology relates to reality and/or reality itself. If I could sum up life in one word at this point it would be "Why?"

First Question. Are you aware of your own existence?

Now your initial reaction may be "Oh of course!", but seriously take a moment and consider how much time you even spend completely aware that you are alive at any given moment. Don't just think about yourself, think about others you know as well. Are they so immersed in society and everyday doings that they don't even know they're alive? Do you even know? If you are, or have contemplated this idea before, how much or how often do you contemplate it? Do you even have a desire to contemplate it, or would you rather just go on without knowing? After all, ignorance is bliss.

How much time do you spend completely aware of the present?

Do you go through life thinking predominately about past experiences and future endeavors? How much does the "now" matter to you? I think this one is pretty self explanatory, so I'll stop there.

How much time do you spend detached from "reality?"

First of all, notice I put reality in quotation marks. This is due to the fact that the surrealist philosophy considers things outside of regular human consciousness to be "reality" as well. Would you say being on a computer or watching TV is detachment? When you feel detached, are your thoughts providing you positive energy, negative energy, or neither? An example of this question that I can easily provide is the fact that I can barely remember walking back from class because I was so deep in thought about posting this.

Does your thought ever transcend from the superficial level to deeper thought?

If so, how often? Have you ever reached a very long train of thought that ultimately ended in greater meaning in life? If so, how did this happen? What were you thinking about that led to such deep thought? Were you at all aware of your surroundings when this occurred? Were you under some third party influence that may have caused this type of thinking? Personally, I know a few people who I believe either do not have the capacity or choose not to think any deeper than what they see or the environment they were born into. Life's not worth living unless you've put some thought into why you're here in this reality, right?

How aware are you of your own mind?

This ties in somewhat to the first question. What I mean by this is the fact that there are many levels of the human mind. Have you ever become self-aware of multiple thought processes occurring at once? Are some types of thoughts say "louder" than others? How aware are you of things occurring in the "back" of your mind? Realistically, we can say that many emotions and such are just reactions to external stimuli. Honestly, do you personally believe that the human mind transcends mere chemical imbalances and reactionary trains of thought? I know there was an interesting thread about the idea that humans are "sentient beings", how sentient do you believe we really are, if at all?

Do you believe in the "duality" of this reality?

We've all heard of good vs. evil, etc... etc... but how much thought have you really put into this idea? Many things about our reality involve a "duality", so to speak. One part of this I would really like to point out is the personal duality of mind and body. How much separation do you think exists or should exist between your thoughts and your physical actions. Do you think the human could be the first being (at least on this planet) that transcends its own physical limitations? Or do you think humans should be more aware of their own body over their own mind?

Have you ever considered the idea of complete unity?

I think this is a good compliment to the previous question, so I'll end with this. Ever had a moment when you were "in the zone?" Everything worked together seamlessly, you didn't even really have to be aware of your own thoughts, you just were. Ironically, we hear about moments like this through athletics, do you think this could be due to the fact that in athletics the body and mind are forced to work together? I think complete unity applies to more than the human, however. How much consideration have you put into the idea that unity expresses some of the most fantastic things in this reality. For example, the current idea that the universe began from an infinitely small, infinitely dense particle wherein all of the "four forces" that we believe govern our universe were believed to have been combined into one. How much correlation do you think things like this really hold, if any correlation? And on that note, I'll end with this: Does anything really have any correlation, by this I mean, is reality a bunch of mere coincidences with the human illusion of correlation, or is there really something more?


For anyone posting after this, address this post however you like. Answer one question, answer 0 questions, answer them all, call me crazy, etc... I just wanted to put these thoughts out there, because I feel like they are all too often forgotten or just ignored. If you read this, I sincerely thank you and I hope it sparked some mental gymnastics for you . I also purposely did not post this in the debate thread because I didn't design this post for large-scale debate, and I know some people avoid that section altogether, so I was also hoping this would reach as many people as possible.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Banefull's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Banefull has a status.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 814
Send a message via Skype™ to Banefull
Default

1). About every other day

2). the present matters very little to me, I focus on the future, The past serves as reflection for what could be done better in the future,

3). I often am able to focus on a train though so as to block out everything else. Focus has been one of my strong points. In general my deep trains of though focus on the weightier matters of life. in general I feel negative energy from this but I can still muster massive amounts of positive energy towards future goals. I feel as if focusing on deep things makes me stronger in the long run.

4). All the time but its a never ending process. Usually this is driven by a desire to find an answer

5). I often analyze the way I think and react to certain events in addition to how the minds of others work. If sentience is the ability to experience emotion (my understanding of the definition) then we are fully sentient.

6). Its possible yes but I do not think emotion is necessarily somethign to be eliminated. The ability to naturally bring emotions under control inside yourself is however necessary.

7). In my view, physical laws govern the universe, but being religious, those laws were put in place by divine providence. There are no random acts in this world as everyone is here for a reason.

I may have mxied up a few of the answers to those questions in the wrong places as I am in a hurry but I'll edit them later.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 AM
josie20's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
josie20 None of you understand
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 654
Default

1. I honestly don't know. I'd like to think I exist. But sometimes I feel like nothing more than an idea that someone, something had/is having. There are a-lot of things I don't understand about people and don't relate to. This is why I sometimes have the notion that I'm nothing more than an idea. Although, I do participate in what people consider 'reality'. But does this really prove existence?

2. I would say I spend most of the time aware of the present. Although, I do spend time thinking about the past and wondering about the future. Not my future, so much, but the future of humanity in general.

3. I think I spend as much if not slightly more time detached from reality depending on whether you consider electronic entertainment a detachment from reality or not. I do spend a fair amount of time pondering the unknown aspect of the universe, philosophy and what not. I consider myself a thinker, so I am often not as attached to reality as most people, I think.

4. Constantly, however, I have yet to find any meaning.

5. I would say I am very aware of my own mind. That is, I'm often aware of thoughts in the back of my mind. I often can't get my mind to settle down as thoughts constantly race through it. It's actually quite annoying.

6. I don't know much about emotions. But I think they are triggered by external stimuli. I also believe that the specific emotions surfaced depend on MANY factors(environment, experiences, genetic make-up etc.).

7. I do believe in duality. However, in order for humans to transcend physical limitations, we will need to evolve, mentally. At the same time, it is very important to achieve a good balance between our awareness of both body and mind. I also like to think that humans transcend the physical realm after death and that we achieve complete understanding. Obviously, there is no proof of this, however.

8. I believe complete unity will be achieved in the distant, distant future.


Obviously, these are just my opinions.
__________________
I may not be as excited about Avatar as I use to be. But, I will never forget that it changed my life.

As our bodies die, all the stars reply, "Now you see the lie"



"Bide your time and hold out hope"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Lord Duke the Baron
Grif is Grif
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 984
Default

Are you aware of your own existence?

Yes I am, I don't think about it as often as I used to unfortunately though.

How much time do you spend completely aware of the present?

The only time I live in the present is when I'm having fun, which with school isn't quite often. In the summer, on weekends, and during vacations I'm in the present pretty much 24/7.

How much time do you spend detached from "reality?"

Ok so I consider being detached from reality to be fully immersed in my imaginations. This happens a few times everyday, when I'm walking around my house listening to music in the dark. And sometimes while I'm driving.

Does your thought ever transcend from the superficial level to deeper thought?

Yes I do, in fact last year I did every day, but it was depressing and I never really reached a conclusion. I ended up deciding to be as weird as possible and see where life took me.

How aware are you of your own mind?

Pretty aware, every so often I get amazed by the thought that I can have a conversation in my head and it just seems so cool how I'm here. It's kind of hard to explain.

Do you believe in the "duality" of this reality?

I see the world as the internet and real life. On the internet (and in games) we can display feelings and ideas that we can't in the real world. What I'm getting at is the creation of BCI (or the Matrix) in which we can share thoughts with each other and create worlds to explore in our minds and computers

Have you ever considered the idea of complete unity?

When I run parkour, or rather ran parkour I felt it. Sometimes when I drive too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM
The Man in Black's Avatar
Taronyu
The Man in Black Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 482
Send a message via Skype™ to The Man in Black
Default

Thanks for the responses, I'm actually surprised you guys tackled all the main questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banefull View Post
1). About every other day

2). the present matters very little to me, I focus on the future, The past serves as reflection for what could be done better in the future,

3). I often am able to focus on a train though so as to block out everything else. Focus has been one of my strong points. In general my deep trains of though focus on the weightier matters of life. in general I feel negative energy from this but I can still muster massive amounts of positive energy towards future goals. I feel as if focusing on deep things makes me stronger in the long run.

4). All the time but its a never ending process. Usually this is driven by a desire to find an answer

5). I often analyze the way I think and react to certain events in addition to how the minds of others work. If sentience is the ability to experience emotion (my understanding of the definition) then we are fully sentient.

6). Its possible yes but I do not think emotion is necessarily somethign to be eliminated. The ability to naturally bring emotions under control inside yourself is however necessary.

7). In my view, physical laws govern the universe, but being religious, those laws were put in place by divine providence. There are no random acts in this world as everyone is here for a reason.

I may have mxied up a few of the answers to those questions in the wrong places as I am in a hurry but I'll edit them later.
It's good to see that you think deeply/are aware. Your response for number 7 is essentially what I identify with, I just may define "divine providence" a little differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie20 View Post
1. I honestly don't know. I'd like to think I exist. But sometimes I feel like nothing more than an idea that someone, something had/is having. There are a-lot of things I don't understand about people and don't relate to. This is why I sometimes have the notion that I'm nothing more than an idea. Although, I do participate in what people consider 'reality'. But does this really prove existence?

2. I would say I spend most of the time aware of the present. Although, I do spend time thinking about the past and wondering about the future. Not my future, so much, but the future of humanity in general.

3. I think I spend as much if not slightly more time detached from reality depending on whether you consider electronic entertainment a detachment from reality or not. I do spend a fair amount of time pondering the unknown aspect of the universe, philosophy and what not. I consider myself a thinker, so I am often not as attached to reality as most people, I think.

4. Constantly, however, I have yet to find any meaning.

5. I would say I am very aware of my own mind. That is, I'm often aware of thoughts in the back of my mind. I often can't get my mind to settle down as thoughts constantly race through it. It's actually quite annoying.

6. I don't know much about emotions. But I think they are triggered by external stimuli. I also believe that the specific emotions surfaced depend on MANY factors(environment, experiences, genetic make-up etc.).

7. I do believe in duality. However, in order for humans to transcend physical limitations, we will need to evolve, mentally. At the same time, it is very important to achieve a good balance between our awareness of both body and mind. I also like to think that humans transcend the physical realm after death and that we achieve complete understanding. Obviously, there is no proof of this, however.

8. I believe complete unity will be achieved in the distant, distant future.


Obviously, these are just my opinions.
Interesting responses. I like that you basically answered the first question with another question that is especially valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif View Post
Are you aware of your own existence?

Yes I am, I don't think about it as often as I used to unfortunately though.

How much time do you spend completely aware of the present?

The only time I live in the present is when I'm having fun, which with school isn't quite often. In the summer, on weekends, and during vacations I'm in the present pretty much 24/7.

How much time do you spend detached from "reality?"

Ok so I consider being detached from reality to be fully immersed in my imaginations. This happens a few times everyday, when I'm walking around my house listening to music in the dark. And sometimes while I'm driving.

Does your thought ever transcend from the superficial level to deeper thought?

Yes I do, in fact last year I did every day, but it was depressing and I never really reached a conclusion. I ended up deciding to be as weird as possible and see where life took me.

How aware are you of your own mind?

Pretty aware, every so often I get amazed by the thought that I can have a conversation in my head and it just seems so cool how I'm here. It's kind of hard to explain.

Do you believe in the "duality" of this reality?

I see the world as the internet and real life. On the internet (and in games) we can display feelings and ideas that we can't in the real world. What I'm getting at is the creation of BCI (or the Matrix) in which we can share thoughts with each other and create worlds to explore in our minds and computers

Have you ever considered the idea of complete unity?

When I run parkour, or rather ran parkour I felt it. Sometimes when I drive too.
It's interesting you should bring up driving as an example to one of the questions. I've also found myself completely forgetting driving from one place to another because I was so immersed in my own thoughts. I also know what you mean by "having a conversation" in your own head. I think you have a valid point by bringing up "The Matrix", we have advanced computers to a point where we can simulate billions of years in a matter of minutes and where we can create worlds within worlds. Do you think you "felt it" when you ran parkour because your mind and body were working together as one?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Tsamsiyu
Aquaplant has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 691
Default

Are you aware of your own existence?

Sadly yes, because when you realize what a joke it is to be sentient in such insignificant life, for in it's current state it's a waste of true human potential, when all we do is just mundane repetition for survival.

How much time do you spend completely aware of the present?

Thinking is pretty much the only thing I do, since "now" is frustrating. That is I think about things in the past, since I for one don't really have a crystal ball to tell me the future. While it's entertaining at times to picture all kinds of scenarios, imaginary or otherwise, truth of the matter is that it doesn't take a genius to figure out where one will end up in life, in approximation that is.

How much time do you spend detached from "reality?"

Reality is what kills you if you don't play by it's rules, and I'd say that's a pretty reliable definition by any philosophical means. That being said I try to practice escapism as much as possible, and that includes all sorts of vain distractions from books, music, movies, games and sleeping. Now they usually help me somewhat forget the crummy conditions of my life, so I'd say they provide positive energy in that sense. On the other hand when I'm forced to face the inevitable realities I always feel bitter about it.

Does your thought ever transcend from the superficial level to deeper thought?

That's just intellectual elitism if you ask me. There are no so called deeper thoughts, because life is so very simple, that only stubborn idiots like myself keep on thinking about philosophies that are essentially worthless. Like I mentioned earlier, life in it's current state doesn't require any bit of thought put into it, one is perfectly fine with just doing things. Besides, all my thinking and pondering just points to the fact that life has no inherent meaning, since it's just a self sustaining mechanism, as in it just exists to continue existing some more.

How aware are you of your own mind?

Mind is a devious little thing that always does stuff without permission, and when it does so, I usually don't like the ramifications. Intellectually I can keep it under control, but sub-concious is something I don't have any control over. I Now assuming that one is somehow above the basic biological governing principles is simply silly. And the point about sentience just comes down to the definition of the word, and since we have made that definition based on our own understanding, I don't see a problem using it.

Do you believe in the "duality" of this reality?

Just simplifying things into binary is never a good idea. Everything is varied, and the distribution just varies by case basis. There is really no separation of mind and body, because they both affect each other, since they are kind of connected with all sorts of neural wires and whatnot. But I don't really understand how one transcends physical limitations, because that's why they are called limits, because one can't reach them. Then again this argument could just as easily come down to semantics, and I'm not really interested in that prospect. All in all, it's not like you can only pick one, that is you can take into account both your physical and mental side without neglecting either.

Have you ever considered the idea of complete unity?

I do not understand what this question is about, care to elaborate a bit more? But don't tell me you're going with the whole "God does not play dice" thing, because that's just lame.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-09-2011, 10:23 PM
The Man in Black's Avatar
Taronyu
The Man in Black Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 482
Send a message via Skype™ to The Man in Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
Have you ever considered the idea of complete unity?

I do not understand what this question is about, care to elaborate a bit more? But don't tell me you're going with the whole "God does not play dice" thing, because that's just lame.
Essentially, have you ever been "in the zone", or considered what it's like to have everything working together as one without any consideration or thought? Everything working together as one, from the physical level to the mental level to the universal level, if that makes sense. You could relate it from zen-like behavior to physics was what I was trying to get across in my explanatino. And no, I'm not pushing any kind of belief, merely asking neutral questions.
__________________

Last edited by The Man in Black; 03-09-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-10-2011, 03:08 AM
txen's Avatar
Pa'li Makto
txen living beyond the pale.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 344
Default

First Question. Are you aware of your own existence?

Yes, very often. I find that in an emotional sense you feel the most alive when you are close to death. Uh-oh I'm kind of speaking out of turn because that would be a duality as well. I do stuff for fun where a mistake could be fatal. It tends to make you feel very alive. I also question my sanity from time to time.

There is also a different more detached intellectual awareness of existence. I do this often as well when I ponder the nature of the world we inhabit. I do this less than the above, but it can go on for hours or days at a time.



How much time do you spend completely aware of the present?

I have worked hard to primarily concentrate on the present. It is truly all that we have. While I learn well from the past, it is gone and can never be retrieved. I do plan for the future, but I do not overly dwell on it. I am mainly concerned as to what will happen when that future becomes the present.

A couple of quotes come to mind.

Carpe diem.

With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Live in the present. The past is gone; the future is unknown -- but the present is real, and your opportunities are now.





How much time do you spend detached from "reality?"

Not all that much, but yes it happens.



Does your thought ever transcend from the superficial level to deeper thought?

I run at deeper levels at least half my waking day. Sometimes I wish that I could just live at the superficial a bit more often. It's a lot easier.



Do you believe in the "duality" of this reality?

Duality has been very useful in the hard sciences. As an electrical engineer I spent many years of college learning several mathematical techniques based on duality that very accurately describe the physical world. These dualities are all over the place in the physical realm. I see them in the metaphysical realm as well. Sometimes I numerous dual stances I take on several topics that others would consider cognitive dissonance.


Have you ever considered the idea of complete unity?

I have. It's usually at the end of a long chain of thought. It's usually a rather profound moment. I'm not able to stay there for long though. I'd like to get to teh point that I can live there all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Lord Duke the Baron
Grif is Grif
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in Black View Post
It's interesting you should bring up driving as an example to one of the questions. I've also found myself completely forgetting driving from one place to another because I was so immersed in my own thoughts. I also know what you mean by "having a conversation" in your own head. I think you have a valid point by bringing up "The Matrix", we have advanced computers to a point where we can simulate billions of years in a matter of minutes and where we can create worlds within worlds. Do you think you "felt it" when you ran parkour because your mind and body were working together as one?
Inorder for me to be completely immersed in my own mind, I have to distract myself. This can be by walking (especially in the dark) or driving. As for the bit about parkour, when I run it's the only time that I feel like my body knows exactly what to do. I broke my foot because of it, but it's basically heeled now. It's funny though because as I was walking down the stairs I felt that urge to jump from the same step like it was muscle memory or something. (I had jumped from maybe 10 to 12 feet vertical instead of my usual 7 or 8 on these steps, I landed but not so well on my right foot).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 AM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,751
Default

1. Yes, I think about it a lot, because it's pointless but can be nice.

2. Occasionally - the future matters more.

3. A lot. My mind wanders to Pandora, and when I'm in the right state then I can get completely absorbed in music too.

4. I don't agree with the premise.

5. Relatively aware, I guess. I can think about multiple things and also look at how I think, but to sure if that's what you are talking about. Things aren't necessarily louder or quieter, but I can ignore things that I think of the 'what would happen if I jumped out of this window' type.

6. No such thing as either good or evil, they are human constructs. Thoughts are a function of memories and the hardware the mind runs on - it's basically a biological analogy to interpreted code. Humans can theoretically transcend this though, with mind uploading.

7. Wishful thinking but it would never work.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Tsamsiyu
Aquaplant has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in Black View Post
Essentially, have you ever been "in the zone", or considered what it's like to have everything working together as one without any consideration or thought? Everything working together as one, from the physical level to the mental level to the universal level, if that makes sense. You could relate it from zen-like behavior to physics was what I was trying to get across in my explanatino. And no, I'm not pushing any kind of belief, merely asking neutral questions.
Well isn't perfection something we all strive for in one way or another? Most of the time it is regarded as doing things without thinking about them, because thought would add to the latency of one's decisions. And as I stated beforehand, mind and body are connected, because they both reside within the same container.

For separate organisms to work in so called unity however would require a connection of sorts, like computers can synchronize via digital connection. But as far as living beings are concerned, there is no way to achieve the same kind of effect.

The whole "God does not play dice" idea came from the movie you remind me of, and as such I was wondering if that was part of your intent when formulating this question. Coincidence is a phrase stating that there isn't any relation between certain events, or that it can't be stated with satisfactory probability.

For example, if I dig a hole in the middle of the road and camouflage it, the person falling into the hole could consider it as an unfortunate event, but on my part that would be deliberately planned effect. I planned that a person would fall into the hole, but who that person might be is usually random, unless I have specifically detailed knowledge and intent on catching just certain person, but from their point of view, it would at first glance appear that they were unfortunate enough to fall down a hole.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
The Man in Black's Avatar
Taronyu
The Man in Black Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 482
Send a message via Skype™ to The Man in Black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
Well isn't perfection something we all strive for in one way or another? Most of the time it is regarded as doing things without thinking about them, because thought would add to the latency of one's decisions. And as I stated beforehand, mind and body are connected, because they both reside within the same container.
Exactly, that's essentially what I was getting at with the phrase "unity." The ultimate simplicity would come down to a single unit, right? When someone is "in the zone", they don't have extraneous thought or action, they just are. That's basically what I was asking, if anyone is aware of this or if anyone experienced it firsthand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
For separate organisms to work in so called unity however would require a connection of sorts, like computers can synchronize via digital connection. But as far as living beings are concerned, there is no way to achieve the same kind of effect.
On a physical level, absolutely. Do you think there is any kind of level that transcends the physical level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
The whole "God does not play dice" idea came from the movie you remind me of, and as such I was wondering if that was part of your intent when formulating this question. Coincidence is a phrase stating that there isn't any relation between certain events, or that it can't be stated with satisfactory probability.

For example, if I dig a hole in the middle of the road and camouflage it, the person falling into the hole could consider it as an unfortunate event, but on my part that would be deliberately planned effect. I planned that a person would fall into the hole, but who that person might be is usually random, unless I have specifically detailed knowledge and intent on catching just certain person, but from their point of view, it would at first glance appear that they were unfortunate enough to fall down a hole.
Well I drew a correlation between "unity" within the human and asked if anyone thought it could/does/will exist in the universe in some way, shape or form. This begs the question of coincidence vs. higher reason. Obviously something like religion is in search of higher reason, whereas some could say there is no rhyme or reason to anything. Once again, there really was no intent to any of these questions other than the fact that they came to my mind and I figured I would spark some thought in people through posting them. As far as the quote from Einstein that you mentioned, I think it partially applies to what I was saying. But I'm glad you brought it up, because it really begs this question that I'll throw out there now: Do you think that anything is predictable or do you think that reality is seemingly random with probabilities as our only source of reliability?
__________________

Last edited by The Man in Black; 03-10-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Tsamsiyu
Aquaplant has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in Black View Post
Exactly, that's essentially what I was getting at with the phrase "unity." The ultimate simplicity would come down to a single unit, right? When someone is "in the zone", they don't have extraneous thought or action, they just are. That's basically what I was asking, if anyone is aware of this or if anyone experienced it firsthand.
This conversation is starting to remind me of the Outer Limits episode where they talk about how every action affects everything else around us. But as far as our current knowledge and understanding allows us to perceive things, we still draw definitive borders between singular organisms. Of course it would be interesting to ponder if we were all somehow networked so to speak, but that's just pointless speculation, since nothing that we have learned has ever even pointed towards such a possibility.

Quote:
On a physical level, absolutely. Do you think there is any kind of level that transcends the physical level?
No. That is nothing even remotely suggests that such a thing might be possible, even though I'm open-minded about new ideas and possibilities, but they have to have some sort of realistic basis to stand on.

Quote:
Well I drew a correlation between "unity" within the human and asked if anyone thought it could/does/will exist in the universe in some way, shape or form. This begs the question of coincidence vs. higher reason. Obviously something like religion is in search of higher reason, whereas some could say there is no rhyme or reason to anything. Once again, there really was no intent to any of these questions other than the fact that they came to my mind and I figured I would spark some thought in people through posting them. As far as the quote from Einstein that you mentioned, I think it partially applies to what I was saying. But I'm glad you brought it up, because it really begs this question that I'll throw out there now: Do you think that anything is predictable or do you think that reality is seemingly random with probabilities as our only source of reliability?
Probability is just an approximation, but usually we rely on approximations that are good enough to satisfy our limited human needs. For instance, large everyday objects behave nicely in Newtonian fashion, and are thus highly predictable. But as soon as we go to small enough particles, those basic laws no longer produce reliable results, and so we have to delve in to the bizarre world of quantum physics. In the quantum world there are certain set of probabilities that a certain particle will be in a certain place. That is unlike Newtonian mechanics, that are highly predictable, quantum physics is more of all over the place when it comes to determining where a certain particle might be. The funny thing is that Einstein was against this absurd behaviour of quantum mechanics.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
The Man in Black's Avatar
Taronyu
The Man in Black Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 482
Send a message via Skype™ to The Man in Black
Default

^Pretty much sums up my thought on my own questions, but I'm still interested to hear what others have to say, especially if they take different approaches to each question.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Tsawke`Iheyu's Avatar
Taronyu
Tsawke`Iheyu is fine.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USM Auriga
Posts: 364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in Black View Post
Are you aware of your own existence?

How much time do you spend completely aware of the present?

How much time do you spend detached from "reality?"

Does your thought ever transcend from the superficial level to deeper thought?

How aware are you of your own mind?

Do you believe in the "duality" of this reality?

Have you ever considered the idea of complete unity?
1. I am aware, of course. And I became more aware because of the life I'm living... Many friends and colleagues share the same thing with me, and they become aware even of walking on the street for the fact that someone may cut them or beat them to death for nothing. I also believe and I'm conscious on the fact that Nature will kill us now or kill us later. Why ? Because our "leaders" like us to work for them through the years, they cut forests, cut our oxygen right in front of us, and we don't do nothing to stop them. I am afraid of my own existence because I don't have my own existence. I live for others to get rich and to satisfy other's needs. But I'm also using free time to think about it, to reflect about my existence, which makes me think more safe. I like to call it "deppressistence". Then I wake up and realsie things are made to be this way, eventhough I don't believe in fate.

2. I do reflect on what I'm doing right now. I don't think about what's to come, or what was before X or Y or Z. For example, I use the past to correct mistakes and the future to anticipate a movement. But I don't use them as reffering points... it would be useless for me and my time and what I have to do. When I remember of childhood or good and bad moments of my life or the ones I get contacts with, it's a separate moment, a moment of silence when I care less about what I have to do.

3. Reality... Hmm. It's a strange "concept" to me, this reality. That's why is hard to answer this, but I'll do my best. For me, the "real" reality is that place where I feel more confortable. Nature. Being also a stranger to it, I made up my own "unreality" or "surreal" environment where I live in, my works and myself. Go to a forest then make abstraction of everything artificial, you'll feel goosebumps. When I'm a building made of concrete, all I feel is just cold and loneliness. That's the reality, conflictual basic of human mind. "I wish to be there, but I can't ...so I just imagine". That's my reality.

4. Yes. It started when I was a kid and begin to love nature for its beauties. I loved so much to go country-side to run around trees and dense layers of grass, etc. Since then, I hated people who cut flowers from their terrain just to look better in their balconies. And I still hate the ones who do that. Nature is where my deeper thought comes into play. Its superficial shows when I use to do unreasonable things, like approving several unchecked projects for environmentalist concerns. Then I feel guilty and I blame myself only for the consequences.

5. I am aware, maybe very aware of it. I might do something that will make the others suffer. And I couldn't live with the idea... Something like that...

6. I do believe in duality of the spirit, don't know much about the dual reality. But it might follow the same principle ? The second reality I'm in is when I dream or when I imagine something. It seemes more real...

7. Just had a discussion about this today at a workshop for peace and unity. Yes, I did, and I do. It's essential for the body and mind to work together, eventhough the message to do it comes from your heart and the brain applies it to the body's sensors. It's like a give-receive action. When you're doing something you feel you're proud of, you get positive energies and this can be seen on your face. When the thunder strikes and the lightning appears, it's all about positive and negative energies, which attract each-other. I like very much to help, and after the person I've helped is satisfied, I get positive energy and that person gets it too. Human of today's society don't yet realise that because he's forced to believe that the purpose in life is just to do that and don't ask questions. That's why people who search inside this duality are so rare and it's hard to fight the systems becase of that. Maybe in time...
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.