Would you rather... - Page 2 - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » General Forums » General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Eltu's Avatar
Administrator
Eltu is home.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 2,420
Default

Personally, I'd rather live as a Na'vi. Don't get me wrong, it'd be awesome living as a Jedi too, but the Na'vi lifestyle just goes so much hand-in-hand with my personal values and beliefs.

As for people asking "Why is this question even here?" - I know for a fact that there are some people around who don't view Avatar as their favorite movie - but they do think it's darn good. These people have the right to their opinions as well.

Heck, even people disliking Avatar are welcome, as long as they do it with respect. That's what ToS is about, really.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Fosus's Avatar
Tsulfätu
Fosus can not has status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,569
Send a message via Skype™ to Fosus
Default

Hey we need a poll
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 PM
xcrunner08's Avatar
Numeyu
xcrunner08 has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 91
Default

Yea I made this thread because I thought it was interesting and someone posted it about a week ago but it was closed for some reason which I found odd. I mean Avatar is a great movie but not my favorite of all time so thats why I wanted to ask.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Eltu's Avatar
Administrator
Eltu is home.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 2,420
Default

Human No More locked the previous thread, and I'm not fully familiar with his reasons for doing so - so you'd have to ask him about that.

And yes, that's what I mean - everyone has their own opinions and the rights to them, and as long as one show these opinions with respect for others' there is no problem.

I mean, I've even talked with people on IRC who strongly disliked Avatar - and I found it really interesting to discuss the movie with them, since they see it in a very different way. As I said, as long as it's done with respect there is no reason to ban or close anything.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,751
Default

Na'vi.

Honestly, Star Wars is overrated. Jedi are cheesy as it is possible to be, and the science in SW is terrible (parsecs as a measure of distance, telekinesis, and weapons that fire slow moving deflectable light?!)
Pandora is everything I want.

As for people who dislike Avatar, I have also talked to some, both AFK and on the internet, and I can honestly say that the vast majority (~90%, AFK being the main exceptions) were not what I would call intelligent, and had to resort to fallacy to make a point.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Apollo's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Apollo is suffering from Tali-Syndrome
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI(Dream Shack: Hallejah Mts.
Posts: 937
Send a message via AIM to Apollo Send a message via Skype™ to Apollo
Default

I'd actually be Jedi, here are my reasons:
  • The jedi control their nature, but not nature itself.
  • They learn inner peace as a core principle to their way of life.
  • Friggen Jedi Powers man! Do you know how practical that would be for getting a soda?
  • You could briefly control lesser minds, so you don't have to deal with a druggie talking down to you.
  • As a Jedi, you can use any ship they have at your disposal (republic sanctioned vessels, of course)
  • I could meet a Na'vi and learn their way of life, lol.

My rationale is no matter what way of life you have, you will never be free. Freedom is all in the head, and were actually all free right now, we just got alot of webbing to deal with that gets in our way. Being a Na'vi is just to live simply. Being a jedi, you concentrate on things that are bigger than yourself on a daily basis. In essence, if you can go anywhere in the galaxy, you are more free than you are grounded.
__________________
Cameron may have born Pandora, but living there must be made by your own hands. I have made Pandora with my hands, with color, oil, paint, and pencil.

Like Pandora, it was hard work. Apply it to anything, you'll see the most complex of dreams come to life.
[Away from my Pizza Rolls! nehahhh!!]

My hand-drawn Neytiri
Silronsan Taronyu (Clever Hunter)

Last edited by Apollo; 04-30-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Fosus's Avatar
Tsulfätu
Fosus can not has status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,569
Send a message via Skype™ to Fosus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner08 View Post
Yea I made this thread because I thought it was interesting and someone posted it about a week ago but it was closed for some reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltu View Post
Human No More locked the previous thread, and I'm not fully familiar with his reasons for doing so
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human No More View Post
Honestly, Star Wars is overrated. Jedi are cheesy as it is possible to be, and the science in SW is terrible (parsecs as a measure of distance, telekinesis, and weapons that fire slow moving deflectable light?!)
Pandora is everything I want.
Here lol
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Eltu's Avatar
Administrator
Eltu is home.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 2,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human No More View Post
Na'vi.

Honestly, Star Wars is overrated. Jedi are cheesy as it is possible to be, and the science in SW is terrible (parsecs as a measure of distance, telekinesis, and weapons that fire slow moving deflectable light?!)
Pandora is everything I want.

As for people who dislike Avatar, I have also talked to some, both AFK and on the internet, and I can honestly say that the vast majority (~90%, AFK being the main exceptions) were not what I would call intelligent, and had to resort to fallacy to make a point.
HNM, you talk as if your opinion of Star Wars is fact. People have different opinions, get over it. And this is highly ironical - since your complaint is this:

"People who dislike Avatar cannot respect that others like it, and see their opinions as fact."

Yet you do the exactly same thing - you say that your opinions of Avatar and Star Wars are the only valid ones - where really, ALL opinions are valid. We just have to respect that all of us have different tastes, opinions and viewpoints. Star Wars is not INHERENTLY bad - however, it may not be of your personal taste. Avatar is not INHERENTLY good - however, most of us think so according to our personal interpretations of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
I'd actually be Jedi, here are my reasons:
  • The jedi control their nature, but not nature itself.
  • They learn inner peace as a core principle to their way of life.
  • Friggen Jedi Powers man! Do you know how practical that would be for getting a soda?
  • You could briefly control lesser minds, so you don't have to deal with a druggie talking down to you.
  • As a Jedi, you can use any ship they have at your disposal (republic sanctioned vessels, of course)
  • I could meet a Na'vi and learn their way of life, lol.

My rationale is no matter what way of life you have, you will never be free. Freedom is all in the head, and were actually all free right now, we just got alot of webbing to deal with that gets in our way. Being a Na'vi is just to live simply. Being a jedi, you concentrate on things that are bigger than yourself on a daily basis. In essence, if you can go anywhere in the galaxy, you are more free than you are grounded.
You bring up some very good points - especially the "bigger than yourself" concept. Wise.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Marvellous Chester's Avatar
Aristocratic Villain
Marvellous Chester - Dislikes watery gravy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicestershire, England
Posts: 640
Default

It would have to be Na'vi everytime for me. The ability to plug into a creature like a Thanator is just too good to miss. That and I like their lifestyles/values
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 PM
tm20's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
tm20 has no status.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,751
Default

and besides, aren't jedis forbidden from falling in love?

__________________
There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much.

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default

After some deliberation, Jedi. Books and lightsabres and entire galaxy, combined with a sense of purpose and interesting philosophy. Also, I have a tendency to need to know things, and the Na'vi seem rather 'your mind is a vessel to be filled', while I'm more 'your mind is a fire to be lighted' - Yoda was teaching the little Jedi to think, not just telling them things they needed to know.
__________________

Last edited by Ashen Key; 05-02-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-02-2011, 02:15 AM
Advent's Avatar
Mother Falcon
Advent is feeling bittersweet
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Somewhere home
Posts: 2,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm20 View Post
and besides, aren't jedis forbidden from falling in love?

The Skywalker family seems to think otherwise. Anakin, Luke?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-02-2011, 02:27 AM
ShellyFayexo's Avatar
Hapxìtu
ShellyFayexo has no status.
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wirral/United Kingdom
Posts: 175
Default

Na'vi defoo
__________________
Watch and Subcribe please
http://www.youtube.com/user/ShellyFayeXoO
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM
tm20's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
tm20 has no status.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advent View Post
The Skywalker family seems to think otherwise. Anakin, Luke?
it wasnt meant to happen, but he killed padme anyway so..... forever alone
__________________
There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much.

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm20 View Post
it wasnt meant to happen, but he killed padme anyway so..... forever alone
I entirely fail to feel at all sympathetic towards Anakin - and the other Jedis didn't notice how unbalanced he was becoming? *rolls eyes*

Anyway, I think the rule was - they can have affairs and things, but try not to get TOO attached.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:02 AM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.