Lesson 7 - Nouns: Gender, Or "Male and Female". - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » Avatar » Na'vi Language

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Walas00's Avatar
Eylan
Walas00 is looking for purpose
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 104
Default Lesson 7 - Nouns: Gender, Or "Male and Female".

Sometimes we might want to say brother, but what if we want to say sister?
We would have to just change the gender, right?
Since Na'vi does not define genders for nouns (as in German, where all nouns have a gender) this is just some minor and additional information, use it only when you totaly have to.

Let's check out wikibooks page LINK

Masculine (male/man) -an
Feminine (female/woman) -e
(recall the lenition lesson - here we have suffixes with an "-" sign. That informs us that there is no lenition when the suffix is applied)

Let's examine a word that we already know, and which has a gender:
Tsmukan - Brother
Tsmuk-an
"Sibling"-MALE
(if you're not English use translate.google.com to translate word you don't understand)

Let's try to create a word "sister".
Tsmuk-e Tsmuke
"Sibling"-FEMALE
Sister

Important pronouncing note
I did not mention this before, but this is a good opportunity to explain it.
When a suffix is added, you stress it's only vowel. (the only exception are infixes which have not yet been introduced)

On Wikibooks you might notice something like this:
tte - person
It doesn't mean anything else than "stress the u letter", as in "read it like : tuuuute"
According to the note above the stress should change if we add a suffix
tute-an - tutn - male person
(remember that here also means "stress the a letter, as in "read it like: tuteaaaan")
(also "e" disappeared here, appearantly when adding a suffix, and there are two vowels meeting, you remove the one which is not in the prefix, so ABCA-EB would be ABCEB - removed last A)

You might be wondering what if we want to make a female person word?
tute-e - tut - female person

Where did the suffix go?
It is there.
If after adding a suffix/prefix/infix there is a case where two similar (like i and ) letters are next to eachother, get rid of one of them, so there is only one letter left.

So instead of writing tutee we get rid of one e, and get tute, and also we remember about the first rule about stressing the vowel in a suffix, and it's done!
When speaking it's very important to stress the right vowel in a word. Word tute can mean person and female person, so the reciever of our message might we a bit confused. When writing you should mark the stressed vowel in this case (tte - person ; tut - female person)

New words:
tute - person

Excercises:
Translate an english word to Na'vi, select all text (CTRL+A) to get the correct answers (next to the words):
Sister - tute (tute-e, "person"-FEMALE)
Brothers - tutan/aytutan (ay+tute-an, PLURAL+"person"-MALE - remember about the "ay+" prefix (no lenition needed here) for plural (unknown number of objects, just many), you can also use the "+" prefix only (only lenition))
twin brothers - metutean (me+tute-an, DOUBLE+"person"-MALE - here we use the "me+" prefix for "two")

Quick-link To Lesson 8- Lesson 8 - Nouns: Case - Subject and Object.
__________________
The Avatar Experience Blog - (closed due to database issues)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLight
(Avatar) [...] It woke up something that had been asleep for a long time. As a child, when you first paid any attention to a butterfly, or a flower, or bird, you had certain feelings growing inside you, seeing the beauty of life for the first time. As we grew, it became something we saw every day and began to ignore the feeling of awe we had as a child.[...]

Last edited by Mune; 07-28-2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Adding Quicklink to Lesson 8.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-18-2010, 05:18 PM
KalaKuival's Avatar
Eylan
KalaKuival nerume
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kllpxiltu lEsti (alu Estonia)
Posts: 113
Send a message via MSN to KalaKuival Send a message via Skype™ to KalaKuival
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walas00 View Post
According to the note above the stress should change if we add a suffix
tute-an - tuten - male person
(remember that here also means "stress the a letter, as in "read it like: tuteaaaan")
Hehehehe

Basically... According to my information (and i believe it's right), tutean is not correct anymore. Now it's tutan.

(I've been studying Na'vi for quite long and when i began Tute (female person) was written like tutee, so yeh, new info is pretty plausible)
__________________
Ye'rin ni'ul fu hawnkrr ni'ul zene nga frakrr txen sivi
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Walas00's Avatar
Eylan
Walas00 is looking for purpose
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 104
Default

Double check that. Na'vi has words with vowels next to each other. Why would someone make an exception here?
__________________
The Avatar Experience Blog - (closed due to database issues)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLight
(Avatar) [...] It woke up something that had been asleep for a long time. As a child, when you first paid any attention to a butterfly, or a flower, or bird, you had certain feelings growing inside you, seeing the beauty of life for the first time. As we grew, it became something we saw every day and began to ignore the feeling of awe we had as a child.[...]
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 PM
KalaKuival's Avatar
Eylan
KalaKuival nerume
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kllpxiltu lEsti (alu Estonia)
Posts: 113
Send a message via MSN to KalaKuival Send a message via Skype™ to KalaKuival
Default

Well according to the last info tutan is correct....

http://mwf-data.clonk2c.ch/dvi/attac...Dictionary.pdf

Taronyu is a trusted source
__________________
Ye'rin ni'ul fu hawnkrr ni'ul zene nga frakrr txen sivi
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Walas00's Avatar
Eylan
Walas00 is looking for purpose
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 104
Default

ok, fixed, hope it's right...
__________________
The Avatar Experience Blog - (closed due to database issues)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLight
(Avatar) [...] It woke up something that had been asleep for a long time. As a child, when you first paid any attention to a butterfly, or a flower, or bird, you had certain feelings growing inside you, seeing the beauty of life for the first time. As we grew, it became something we saw every day and began to ignore the feeling of awe we had as a child.[...]
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 AM
karyu alejandro's Avatar
Ketuwong
karyu alejandro has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: argentina, buenos aires, capital federal, devoto
Posts: 3
Send a message via MSN to karyu alejandro
Default

kaltx ma tsmukan si tsmuk, ngaru lu fpom srak
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Walas00's Avatar
Eylan
Walas00 is looking for purpose
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 104
Default

Siltsan, althou please do use our sub forum [http://tree-of-souls.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44] for Na'vi talkies Thanks
__________________
The Avatar Experience Blog - (closed due to database issues)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLight
(Avatar) [...] It woke up something that had been asleep for a long time. As a child, when you first paid any attention to a butterfly, or a flower, or bird, you had certain feelings growing inside you, seeing the beauty of life for the first time. As we grew, it became something we saw every day and began to ignore the feeling of awe we had as a child.[...]
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Ketuwong
Txon Tranyu has no status.
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walas00 View Post
Sometimes we might want to say brother, but what if we want to say sister?
We would have to just change the gender, right?
Since Na'vi does not define genders for nouns (as in German, where all nouns have a gender) this is just some minor and additional information, use it only when you totaly have to.

Let's check out wikibooks page LINK

Masculine (male/man) -an
Feminine (female/woman) -e
(recall the lenition lesson - here we have suffixes with an "-" sign. That informs us that there is no lenition when the suffix is applied)

Let's examine a word that we already know, and which has a gender:
Tsmukan - Brother
Tsmuk-an
"Sibling"-MALE
(if you're not English use translate.google.com to translate word you don't understand)

Let's try to create a word "sister".
Tsmuk-e Tsmuke
"Sibling"-FEMALE
Sister

Important pronouncing note
I did not mention this before, but this is a good opportunity to explain it.
When a suffix is added, you stress it's only vowel. (the only exception are infixes which have not yet been introduced)

On Wikibooks you might notice something like this:
tte - person
It doesn't mean anything else than "stress the u letter", as in "read it like : tuuuute"
According to the note above the stress should change if we add a suffix
tute-an - tutn - male person
(remember that here also means "stress the a letter, as in "read it like: tuteaaaan")
(also "e" disappeared here, appearantly when adding a suffix, and there are two vowels meeting, you remove the one which is not in the prefix, so ABCA-EB would be ABCEB - removed last A)

You might be wondering what if we want to make a female person word?
tute-e - tut - female person

Where did the suffix go?
It is there.
If after adding a suffix/prefix/infix there is a case where two similar (like i and ) letters are next to eachother, get rid of one of them, so there is only one letter left.

So instead of writing tutee we get rid of one e, and get tute, and also we remember about the first rule about stressing the vowel in a suffix, and it's done!
When speaking it's very important to stress the right vowel in a word. Word tute can mean person and female person, so the reciever of our message might we a bit confused. When writing you should mark the stressed vowel in this case (tte - person ; tut - female person)

New words:
tute - person

Excercises:
Translate an english word to Na'vi, select all text (CTRL+A) to get the correct answers (next to the words):
Sister - tute (tute-e, "person"-FEMALE)
Brothers - tutan/aytutan (ay+tute-an, PLURAL+"person"-MALE - remember about the "ay+" prefix (no lenition needed here) for plural (unknown number of objects, just many), you can also use the "+" prefix only (only lenition))
twin brothers - metutean (me+tute-an, DOUBLE+"person"-MALE - here we use the "me+" prefix for "two")

Quick-link To Lesson 8- Lesson 8 - Nouns: Case - Subject and Object.


hey forgive me if im wrong but shouldnt there be Lenition on the "two brothers" translation? (me+tute-an= mesutean) ??
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-19-2011, 05:18 AM
Pa'li Makto's Avatar
Palulukan Makto
Pa'li Makto : Once ate an octopus.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,909
Default

These lessons are brilliant Walas00, thank you. I'm learning new words each time I tune in.
__________________
Always listening to The Orb: O.O.B.E...



My fanfic

"The man who learns only what others know is as ignorant as if he learns nothing.
The treasures of knowledge are the most rare, and guarded most harshly."
-Chronicle of the First Age


"Try to see the forest through her eyes."

Ralisant mon espoir, Je me lance vers la gloire. Je ne regrette rien. (Making my hope come true, I hurl myself toward glory. I regret nothing.)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-2011, 01:15 AM
Txon Rolyu's Avatar
Hapxtu
Txon Rolyu Frapo a mì soaia leUniltìrantokx lom lu oeru
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Portland, OR Pacific Northwest
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txon Tranyu View Post
hey forgive me if im wrong but shouldnt there be Lenition on the "two brothers" translation? (me+tute-an= mesutean) ??
No you're right that should be lenited. It should also be written as "mesutan" instead of "mesutean" if you're talking about 2 male people. "tute"= person "tut"=female person and "tutan"= male person.

One thing I want to point out tho is that Na'vi is a very gender-neutral language...it doesn't care if you're talking about a man or woman. These suffixes are not used much.

-Txon Rolyu
__________________




Update your AvatarMeet.com profile now to register for Na'vi lessons at the meet up!

Fpl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi.
Think like the Na'vi. Talk like the Na'vi. Walk like the Na'vi. See like the Na'vi.

Tokx alu tawtute, tirea leNa'vi
Human body, Na'vi spirit

Uniltrantokxl oeri txe'lanit n'aw takeiuk n'ul txa' fralo
Avatar only strikes my heart harder every time

Tsaye'a ngal fra'ut a krr tse'a ngal ke'ut
When you see nothing, you will see everything

L'fyari leNa'vi: Rutxe fmivi. Zene fko tskxekeng sivi fte nivume. Txopu r' si fwa lu keyawr.
Regarding the Na'vi language: Please try. One must practice in order to learn. Don't fear being wrong

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Dakar's Avatar
Sngiyu
Dakar Vrrtep Wemyu
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 53
Default

so there is no word for woman or man then?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Eana Unil's Avatar
One of the People
Eana Unil - layona tivawm.
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: My mind & Pandora & Germany
Posts: 217
Default

tutan and tute are the words for man and woman, they're just not translated literally, so to speak. tute = female person = woman.

"Translate the meaning, not the words..."
__________________

Join the LearnNavi Discord channel
Kifkeyl oeti fneyku. 「鬱」
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.