How would you sing "Happy Birthday" in Na'vi? - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » Avatar » Na'vi Language

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 PM
EstebanAVTRBoy's Avatar
Sngiyu
EstebanAVTRBoy I'm doing more Avatar friends in USA than in my country.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 56
Default How would you sing "Happy Birthday" in Na'vi?

Kaltx, ma ayeylan. I want to ask you something. Looking the archive "Na'vi in a Nutshell" from Na'viteri, I discovered the sentence "Happy Birthday!" translated into Na'vi as "Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru!". It's other thing I've learned easily. Well, you know, some of my friends wanted me to sing them Happy Birthday song in Na'vi, when were their birthdays. While thinking in the song the way it is sung in my country, I was searching the meaning in Na'vi of almost every word, and I supposedly composed the entire song translated in Na'vi. And then, I sung it to my friends. This is what I made:

Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ayoengati frapo rangal (We all wish to you; translated in Spanish: Te deseamos todos)
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru

But for my need to practice and speak better the Na'vi language or for the way my country sings the Happy Birthday song, I think there could be more ways to sing it in Na'vi. So this is my question. How would you sing Happy Birthday song in Na'vi?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 PM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones seldom washes his hair.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,863
Default

Sounds like you have some interesting friends
__________________


Misery Forever.

O vos mnes qui transtis per vam, attndite et vidte
Si est dlor smilis scut dlor mus.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 PM
EstebanAVTRBoy's Avatar
Sngiyu
EstebanAVTRBoy I'm doing more Avatar friends in USA than in my country.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_jones View Post
Sounds like you have some interesting friends
Yeah, I have some friends which are very interested in my Avatar geek side.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Txon Rolyu's Avatar
Hapxtu
Txon Rolyu Frapo a mì soaia leUniltìrantokx lom lu oeru
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Portland, OR Pacific Northwest
Posts: 182
Default

Just a note, the 'we all wish to you' line is "ayoe ngaru rangal" in Na'vi.

-Txon Rolyu
__________________




Update your AvatarMeet.com profile now to register for Na'vi lessons at the meet up!

Fpl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi.
Think like the Na'vi. Talk like the Na'vi. Walk like the Na'vi. See like the Na'vi.

Tokx alu tawtute, tirea leNa'vi
Human body, Na'vi spirit

Uniltrantokxl oeri txe'lanit n'aw takeiuk n'ul txa' fralo
Avatar only strikes my heart harder every time

Tsaye'a ngal fra'ut a krr tse'a ngal ke'ut
When you see nothing, you will see everything

L'fyari leNa'vi: Rutxe fmivi. Zene fko tskxekeng sivi fte nivume. Txopu r' si fwa lu keyawr.
Regarding the Na'vi language: Please try. One must practice in order to learn. Don't fear being wrong

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-20-2012, 12:51 PM
TireaAean's Avatar
One of the People
TireaAean 'efu nitram.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: m helku
Posts: 246
Send a message via ICQ to TireaAean Send a message via AIM to TireaAean Send a message via MSN to TireaAean Send a message via Yahoo to TireaAean Send a message via Skype™ to TireaAean
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstebanAVTRBoy View Post
Kaltx, ma ayeylan. I want to ask you something. Looking the archive "Na'vi in a Nutshell" from Na'viteri, I discovered the sentence "Happy Birthday!" translated into Na'vi as "Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru!". It's other thing I've learned easily. Well, you know, some of my friends wanted me to sing them Happy Birthday song in Na'vi, when were their birthdays. While thinking in the song the way it is sung in my country, I was searching the meaning in Na'vi of almost every word, and I supposedly composed the entire song translated in Na'vi. And then, I sung it to my friends. This is what I made:

Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ayoengati frapo rangal (We all wish to you; translated in Spanish: Te deseamos todos)
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru

But for my need to practice and speak better the Na'vi language or for the way my country sings the Happy Birthday song, I think there could be more ways to sing it in Na'vi. So this is my question. How would you sing Happy Birthday song in Na'vi?
Nice attempt! Strangely enough, this is the first time in all my time I have seen anyone try to translate the Happy Birthday song.

That third line is only a tiny bit sketchy. Mainly because rangal cannot take objects in the -ti case, and the meaning you have by using it isn't exactly what you wanted. Plus, ayoeng includes you. Inclusinve form of we doesnt make much sense when you say "we wish you...". I think what you want to say based on the English translation of that line is,

Rangal ayoe ngaru
or
Rangal frapo ngaru

EDIT: dammit Txon, ninja'd. ;p

DOUBLE EDIT: To make it more singable, may I propose a new version which matches the syllables of the (English)original without losing total meaning,

Ftxozri aylrrtok
Ftxozri aylrrtok
Ngar ayoe rangal
Ftxozri aylrrtok
__________________
Tirea Aean
LearnNavi.org

Last edited by TireaAean; 12-20-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 PM
EstebanAVTRBoy's Avatar
Sngiyu
EstebanAVTRBoy I'm doing more Avatar friends in USA than in my country.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txon Rolyu View Post
Just a note, the 'we all wish to you' line is "ayoe ngaru rangal" in Na'vi.

-Txon Rolyu
Ok. I got it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-20-2012, 10:07 PM
EstebanAVTRBoy's Avatar
Sngiyu
EstebanAVTRBoy I'm doing more Avatar friends in USA than in my country.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireaAean View Post
Nice attempt! Strangely enough, this is the first time in all my time I have seen anyone try to translate the Happy Birthday song.

That third line is only a tiny bit sketchy. Mainly because rangal cannot take objects in the -ti case, and the meaning you have by using it isn't exactly what you wanted. Plus, ayoeng includes you. Inclusinve form of we doesnt make much sense when you say "we wish you...". I think what you want to say based on the English translation of that line is,

Rangal ayoe ngaru
or
Rangal frapo ngaru

EDIT: dammit Txon, ninja'd. ;p

DOUBLE EDIT: To make it more singable, may I propose a new version which matches the syllables of the (English)original without losing total meaning,

Ftxozri aylrrtok
Ftxozri aylrrtok
Ngar ayoe rangal
Ftxozri aylrrtok
Ok. I'm glad you like the idea, and it's good the way you've composed the song.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 PM
EstebanAVTRBoy's Avatar
Sngiyu
EstebanAVTRBoy I'm doing more Avatar friends in USA than in my country.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 56
Default

I think I can make my song composition in a much better way, using more often and clearly the pronouns "we" and "you". The result is this:

Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ayoeng ngati frapo rangal
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-22-2012, 03:08 AM
TireaAean's Avatar
One of the People
TireaAean 'efu nitram.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: m helku
Posts: 246
Send a message via ICQ to TireaAean Send a message via AIM to TireaAean Send a message via MSN to TireaAean Send a message via Yahoo to TireaAean Send a message via Skype™ to TireaAean
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstebanAVTRBoy View Post
I think I can make my song composition in a much better way, using more often and clearly the pronouns "we" and "you". The result is this:

Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ayoeng ngati frapo rangal
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Except "ayoeng ngati frapo rangal" is not grammatical.

First, as I have said before, rangal is not transitive so it doesn't support having a direct object. (Cannot have "ngati")

Second, who is the subject? Both Ayoeng and frapo are nouns in the proper case for being a subject of this verb.

Basically, as simply as I can put it,

Someone rangal.
but this is not grammatically correct:
Someone-l rangal something-ti

Rangal is like sleep and die. You can sleep and you can die. But you cannot sleep something or die something. Nor can you "rangal something" at least not in the same way you see something or eat something.

And also, is it ayoeng or frapo who rangal?

Also also, As I said before, ayoeng = ay+oe+nga (many and me and you) so it seems a bit strange to see it in the context of wishing something to you. "Many and me and you wish you happy birthday" the solution is use ayoe. This form excludes you. So "Many and me wish you happy birthday"

Grammatically, this is best:
Quote:
Just a note, the 'we all wish to you' line is "ayoe ngaru rangal" in Na'vi.

-Txon Rolyu
__________________
Tirea Aean
LearnNavi.org
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 PM
EstebanAVTRBoy's Avatar
Sngiyu
EstebanAVTRBoy I'm doing more Avatar friends in USA than in my country.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireaAean View Post
Except "ayoeng ngati frapo rangal" is not grammatical.

First, as I have said before, rangal is not transitive so it doesn't support having a direct object. (Cannot have "ngati")

Second, who is the subject? Both Ayoeng and frapo are nouns in the proper case for being a subject of this verb.

Basically, as simply as I can put it,

Someone rangal.
but this is not grammatically correct:
Someone-l rangal something-ti

Rangal is like sleep and die. You can sleep and you can die. But you cannot sleep something or die something. Nor can you "rangal something" at least not in the same way you see something or eat something.

And also, is it ayoeng or frapo who rangal?

Also also, As I said before, ayoeng = ay+oe+nga (many and me and you) so it seems a bit strange to see it in the context of wishing something to you. "Many and me and you wish you happy birthday" the solution is use ayoe. This form excludes you. So "Many and me wish you happy birthday"

Grammatically, this is best:
It's evident you know Na'vi language much better than me. I should to learn from you, and practice more Na'vi language.

Sincerely, I made this composition quickly almost without thinking cause the birthday of the first friend who demanded me to sing her (that friend I'm talking about is a girl) Happy Birthday in Na'vi was too close from the day she did that. I found nothing about Happy Birthday song translated in Na'vi, so I thought I could compose it myself and basing in some words and techniques I looked in some places in Internet, I looked for words to translate and that's how I composed the song.

But as I said, it's evident that there are better ways and better forms to talk in Na'vi and compose that song and that you know Na'vi much better than me.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 PM
TireaAean's Avatar
One of the People
TireaAean 'efu nitram.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: m helku
Posts: 246
Send a message via ICQ to TireaAean Send a message via AIM to TireaAean Send a message via MSN to TireaAean Send a message via Yahoo to TireaAean Send a message via Skype™ to TireaAean
Default

Sure.

And like I said before, your original attempt was really good and close. Especially for needing to come up with it instantly like you did. For a beginner with no time to think, it was really good, to be honest.

Eywa ngahu ma tsmukan
__________________
Tirea Aean
LearnNavi.org
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-23-2012, 07:47 PM
EstebanAVTRBoy's Avatar
Sngiyu
EstebanAVTRBoy I'm doing more Avatar friends in USA than in my country.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 56
Default

Ok, I think I've really got it, and got it fine. I've looked more about Na'vi language words, structures, techniques, etc. for the correct use of the words, especially in this song, and I've understood it more or less, but I made another composition that should be better than the last compositions I've made.

For your country, the song is like this:
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozri aylrrtok ma (name of person)
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru

For my country, it is like this:
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ayoe rangal ngaru nwotx ("Te deseamos todos"; it is translated in English as "We wish you all")
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru

If that's not correct, I will give up and stop to making compositions, I will practice more Na'vi and I will think again of this topic of Happy Birthday sung in Na'vi later.

Last edited by EstebanAVTRBoy; 12-23-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-23-2012, 07:53 PM
TireaAean's Avatar
One of the People
TireaAean 'efu nitram.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: m helku
Posts: 246
Send a message via ICQ to TireaAean Send a message via AIM to TireaAean Send a message via MSN to TireaAean Send a message via Yahoo to TireaAean Send a message via Skype™ to TireaAean
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstebanAVTRBoy View Post
Ok, I think I've really got it, and got it fine. I've looked for the correct use of the words and I've understodd it more or less, but it should be better than the last compositions I've made.

For your country, the song is like this:
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozri aylrrtok ma (name of person)
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru

For my country, it is like this:
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru
Ayoe rangal ngaru nwotx ("Te deseamos todos"; it is translated in English as "We wish you all")
Ftxozri aylrrtok ngaru

If that's not correct, I will give up and stop to making compositions, I will practice more Na'vi and I will think again of this topic of Happy Birthday sung in Na'vi later.
Perfect.
__________________
Tirea Aean
LearnNavi.org
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 PM
EstebanAVTRBoy's Avatar
Sngiyu
EstebanAVTRBoy I'm doing more Avatar friends in USA than in my country.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireaAean View Post
Perfect.
Are you serious? Greaaaaat!! Thank you very much!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Moco Loco's Avatar
Dandy Lion
Moco Loco is a lion in a low place
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,911
Send a message via Skype™ to Moco Loco
Default

Cool stuff. Either way, I wouldn't pronounce any of the words correctly.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:13 AM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.