Pandora has the same rotation period as Earth - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » Avatar » Pandora

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-24-2010, 01:06 PM
ISV Venture Star's Avatar
Nawmtu
ISV Venture Star has no status.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via Skype™ to ISV Venture Star
Default Pandora has the same rotation period as Earth

How do I know this? Check out the details in the video log. One of them is LST: local solar time. Here's an example of the use of LST on Mars:

Mars' Calendar - Explore the Cosmos | The Planetary Society


Ten seconds of film time during a video log results in ten seconds of change in the LST clock. So Pandora has the same rotation period as the Earth. Being tidally locked it must also have the same revolution period.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,750
Default

Interesting, although there's no real reason why it shouldn't
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 PM
txen's Avatar
Pa'li Makto
txen living beyond the pale.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 344
Default

Pandora would sure have to be close in. Jupiter's closest large moon Io has a orbital period of a bit under 41 hours.

One thing to consider. We are built for 24 hour cycles of waking and sleeping. I bet you could extend or reduce that a bit and still work effectively. However, stretch it too much and we start having problems. The humans and the "sun" light may be on different schedules.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,750
Default

Well, Pandora being in orbit around Polyphemus means that it would have periods of both extended day and extended night. Humans can adapt to longer or shorter sleep cycles without a problem, in most cases then when denied any clues to time (no clocks or daylight), most humans will drift to a sleep cycle of around 26 hours.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Thorinair's Avatar
Administrator
Thorinair is in a Bioluminescent night.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pandora
Posts: 402
Default

Finally this information!
It will be of great value for my project...
Thanks
__________________

Na'vi Google


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Grifff's Avatar
:V
Grifff :v
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 129
Default

hmmm, i find that unlikely that it has the same rotation time
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Советский медве View Post
Until some 3 year old opens his fudge bar and finds Iron Jones' thumb in it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
ISV Venture Star's Avatar
Nawmtu
ISV Venture Star has no status.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via Skype™ to ISV Venture Star
Default

It may not be exactly the same. I only measured a baseline of 10 seconds.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Sothis's Avatar
One of the People
Sothis likes life.
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York State, USA
Posts: 222
Default

So, does that mean that every 24-ish hours, pandora makes a complete revolution around polyphemus? Also, does "tidally locked" mean simply that the same side of pandora is facing polyphemus at all times, or does it also mean that pandora is always over the same point on polyphemus and it therefore revolves at the same rate that polyphemus rotates?

Anyway, thanks for this information! I've been pondering this exact question for the purposes of fanfic. I must say, it would make my life easier if pandora's diurnal cycles were approximately the same as earth's in the canon, even if that's actually scientifically unlikely.
__________________
All Avatar writings
-------------------
Selected writings:

You came back
How do you make up after you've done the unforgivable? Jake and Neytiri have a conversation in the wake of Hometree's destruction, during their first real moment alone following his return as Toruk Makto.

The Last Train Home
Fourteen years after the war, a lone spaceship appears in the sky. The former members of the Avatar program watch its approach expecting the worst, fearing for their adopted home. Then the ship lands. And suddenly, nothing makes sense anymore.

Five seconds too late
This is a different kind of Jake/Neytiri romance, the story that would've unfolded had she been delayed for just five seconds while trying to reach him following the fight with Quaritch.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-29-2010, 08:40 PM
ISV Venture Star's Avatar
Nawmtu
ISV Venture Star has no status.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via Skype™ to ISV Venture Star
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sothis View Post
So, does that mean that every 24-ish hours, pandora makes a complete revolution around polyphemus? Also, does "tidally locked" mean simply that the same side of pandora is facing polyphemus at all times, or does it also mean that pandora is always over the same point on polyphemus and it therefore revolves at the same rate that polyphemus rotates?
The former. The latter is generally only found in systems where the physical separation and difference in mass between the two bodies is much smaller (Pluto-Charon).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sothis View Post
Anyway, thanks for this information! I've been pondering this exact question for the purposes of fanfic. I must say, it would make my life easier if pandora's diurnal cycles were approximately the same as earth's in the canon, even if that's actually scientifically unlikely.
Maybe not too unlikely. Mars has a rotation period that's very similar to the Earth. The only issue might be having Pandora close enough to Polyphemus to give it a 24 hour orbital period. I might try playing with the numbers to see if I can make things work out without having to disregard what the ASG says about Polyphemus.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,750
Default

Yes, it does
As for tidal locking, yes, that is correct about facing, remaining over the same area is a geosynchronous orbit.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Dreamwalker
Boba Fett has some status.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 35
Default

The first time I noticed the times of the video logs it bugged me a little. It's not only the clock but also the dates. Even if it didn't take 10 seconds of the film for 10 seconds of local time to pass, it would still still break the date as a different numbers of days would pass on Pandora than on Earth.

However, it's possible that they add or remove days in the calendar to fix any deviation from the current date on Earth, or use another calendar with the same year length but different day length.

As for the equivalence between film time and log time - it could be just an inaccuracy. And you don't have any evidence that they use 24 hour cycle for the local time. It could as well be 25 or 26 hour. All we know is that 06:00, 08:00 and 09:00 are in the morning, and that 17:00 etc. are in the evening. One thing is certain - the day length is similar.

And it makes sense, because I think that Polyphemus plays a significant role in making the floating mountains float, and a close orbit would certainly help. But I'm not sure if closer orbit wouldn't mean more quakes and volcanoes like on Io? Polyphemus is smaller, more comparable to Saturn, maybe we ought to look at Mimas? Mimas has an orbital period of 22 hours and 37 minutes. Sounds about right. And unlike Io there's no significant geological activity.

By the way, why are they using 1/24 of a second as the last part of the time in the logs? Is that a common time format?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-27-2010, 04:50 AM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,750
Default

The floating mountains float because of the effect of Pandora's strong magnetic field on unobtainium, this effect can be observed with superconductors available today. I can't remember seeing any numbers on Pandora's distance from Polyphemus, but gas giants put out a lot of radiation and Pandora would need to be reasonably distant to be inhabitable (although it is stated that radiation on Pandora is higher than Earth's natural radiation and that life found on Pandora has a higher tolerance to exposure). In addition, being too close would result in a loss of atmosphere, although the atmosphere is helped by being more dense than Earth's.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Dreamwalker
Boba Fett has some status.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 35
Default

The radiation shouldn't be a problem with the magnetic fields and the thick atmosphere. And since the magnetic field on Pandora is more powerful than that ours I don't think you'd have any issues with the radiation. The quakes and volcanoes would still be a major concern, though.

About the mountains, I personally find electromagnetism too complicated so I'm not expecting to ever understand why exactly the mountains float, but my understanding was that the magnetic field of the planet and the moon interact creating spots where you'd see with weird stuff happening. At least that's what my gut feeling and Avatar's wiki told me. Now my gut feeling lied me that this should happen at the equator, so it is not trustworthy, but I still trust the wiki. The Wikipedia article on Io seems to suggest the existence of flux tubes which sound somewhat similar, and their location seems to match the position of Polyphemus in the sky.

This guy also seems to suggest a similar thing, though I disagree with him on everything else, so YMMV.
A Look At The Science Of 'Avatar' : Discovery News

But the thing is, with the existence of something as awesome as a gas giant in the sky, it should play some role. You don't put something as magnificent as a gas giant in the sky just because it looks cool. And the poor Na'vi could never set their foot on their planet like we did on the moon, so at least give them something from the planet that lifts their mountains.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,750
Default

Superconductors float on magnetic fields. That's the reason, because Pandora's is strong enough to have the effect.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 AM
ISV Venture Star's Avatar
Nawmtu
ISV Venture Star has no status.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via Skype™ to ISV Venture Star
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post

As for the equivalence between film time and log time - it could be just an inaccuracy. And you don't have any evidence that they use 24 hour cycle for the local time. It could as well be 25 or 26 hour.
Possible, but bizarre. The Mars rovers use 24 hour local solar time clocks with seconds, minutes and hours that are in proportion with the length of the longer Martian day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post

And it makes sense, because I think that Polyphemus plays a significant role in making the floating mountains float, and a close orbit would certainly help. But I'm not sure if closer orbit wouldn't mean more quakes and volcanoes like on Io? Polyphemus is smaller, more comparable to Saturn, maybe we ought to look at Mimas? Mimas has an orbital period of 22 hours and 37 minutes. Sounds about right. And unlike Io there's no significant geological activity.

Correct. It's a common misconception that Io's activity is solely due to its proximity to Jupiter. Europa and Ganymede play the most significant role.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:59 AM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.