Why do you want to be a NA'Vi on Pandora? - Page 3 - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » Avatar » Pandora

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Moco Loco's Avatar
Dandy Lion
Moco Loco is a lion in a low place
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,911
Send a message via Skype™ to Moco Loco
Default

You don't even KNOW In the dream, everyone kept asking what our costumes were made of, and I couldn't stop laughing
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Tsamsiyu
Theorist wants to go to all the go inbetweens
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 511
Default

I would definitely get a tail if it were functional. If it actually had a significant affect on my balance and coordination, I would probably get a tail
__________________
"Pardon me, I wanna live in a fantasy"

"I wish I was a sacrifice but somehow still lived on"

It seems like everybody is moving forward. As if there is some final goal they can achieve and get to. I don't get it though. When I look around, it seems like I'm already there, and there is nothing left to do.

"You think you're so clever and classless and free, but you're still ****ing peasants as far as I can see."

I wish I could take just one hour of what I experience out in nature, wrap it in a box, put a bow on it, and start handing out to people

Nature has its own religion; gospel from the land

I know I was born and I know that I'll die; The in between is mine."
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-21-2011, 04:35 PM
dstroudswan's Avatar
Numeyu
dstroudswan wants to be one of the People
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post
I would definitely get a tail if it were functional. If it actually had a significant affect on my balance and coordination, I would probably get a tail
Which it would. I personally don't understand why humans evolved to not have tails. Tails are exceptionally useful for balance and coordination. Then again, there would have to be custom chairs, cars, etc. complete with holes for tails; I imagine sitting on it would be uncomfortable, akin to getting pins and needles in your foot
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Tsamsiyu
Aquaplant has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 691
Default

I think a tail would look silly on humans more than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroudswan View Post
Which it would. I personally don't understand why humans evolved to not have tails. Tails are exceptionally useful for balance and coordination. Then again, there would have to be custom chairs, cars, etc. complete with holes for tails; I imagine sitting on it would be uncomfortable, akin to getting pins and needles in your foot
Some people have really good balance and coordination regardless, but the same could not be said about myself, for I'm beyond redemption in that regard, tail or not.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-21-2011, 06:07 PM
dstroudswan's Avatar
Numeyu
dstroudswan wants to be one of the People
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
I think a tail would look silly on humans more than anything else.
Though I agree, that's a perception that arose from social conditioning; it is not objective. Anyway, I'm sure if technology was available to give people tails, it would also be possible to get plastic surgery to go for the complete Na'vi image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
Some people have really good balance and coordination regardless, but the same could not be said about myself, for I'm beyond redemption in that regard, tail or not.
That might be true, but remember, having a tail would allow you to quickly catch yourself and prevent you from falling even if you still had poor balance.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Tsamsiyu
Aquaplant has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroudswan View Post
Though I agree, that's a perception that arose from social conditioning; it is not objective. Anyway, I'm sure if technology was available to give people tails, it would also be possible to get plastic surgery to go for the complete Na'vi image.
What conditioning? Some people did clip off tails from their dogs back in the day, so I think the fashion aspect of it is questionable at best.

Also, considering that humans are not much to look at in the first place, so the amount of change attainable via something crude as surgery would be minimal at best.

Quote:
That might be true, but remember, having a tail would allow you to quickly catch yourself and prevent you from falling even if you still had poor balance.
Not if that tail would be as much fail as my body currently is.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-21-2011, 06:59 PM
dstroudswan's Avatar
Numeyu
dstroudswan wants to be one of the People
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
What conditioning? Some people did clip off tails from their dogs back in the day, so I think the fashion aspect of it is questionable at best.
All I meant is beauty is relative and subjective to what is taught to us at a young age. Why do you think society finds skinny blondes attractive? Because they're always been thrown at us on the covers of magazines, and the industry is telling us that that is beauty - and we believe them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
Also, considering that humans are not much to look at in the first place, so the amount of change attainable via something crude as surgery would be minimal at best.
I very much disagree. Surgery isn't crude, or else this would not look as good as it does, nor would delicate procedures like this aneurysm clipping be possible. The Na'vi nose could definitely be constructed. The only difficulty would really be the ears, which could not be moved up. They could, however, be modified substantially.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Clarke's Avatar
Karyu
Clarke wants his own Avatar.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Scotland, 140 years too early
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroudswan View Post
I very much disagree. Surgery isn't crude, or else this would not look as good as it does, nor would delicate procedures like this aneurysm clipping be possible. The Na'vi nose could definitely be constructed. The only difficulty would really be the ears, which could not be moved up. They could, however, be modified substantially.
Well, I'm hoping biotechnology marches on substantially in my lifetime. (almost) Anything is possible with SCIENCE.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Tsamsiyu
Aquaplant has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroudswan View Post
All I meant is beauty is relative and subjective to what is taught to us at a young age. Why do you think society finds skinny blondes attractive? Because they're always been thrown at us on the covers of magazines, and the industry is telling us that that is beauty - and we believe them.
beauty=preference=subjective

The rest is just nonsense, like someone is going to tell me that I'm insane because the marketing industry is telling me to be one. Sure, some people are easily manipulated, and once you get few key players into position, you can make fashion whatever you wish, but the topic of vanity holds little interest to me.

Quote:
I very much disagree. Surgery isn't crude, or else this would not look as good as it does, nor would delicate procedures like this aneurysm clipping be possible. The Na'vi nose could definitely be constructed. The only difficulty would really be the ears, which could not be moved up. They could, however, be modified substantially.
Make up your mind will you? First you say that beauty is subjective, and then you show me pictures of a "good" nose job? Seriously though, it is hard to improve upon that which is already full of fail, and I consider us humans quite fail on the looks department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
Well, I'm hoping biotechnology marches on substantially in my lifetime. (almost) Anything is possible with SCIENCE.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 PM
dstroudswan's Avatar
Numeyu
dstroudswan wants to be one of the People
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
Make up your mind will you? First you say that beauty is subjective, and then you show me pictures of a "good" nose job?
You're absolutely right, I should have rephrased that. I did not mean to imply that it looked good, I just meant that the surgeon did a good job on what he or she wanted to accomplish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
Seriously though, it is hard to improve upon that which is already full of fail, and I consider us humans quite fail on the looks department.
I'm curious, then. Since the Na'vi share a lot of basic characteristics with humans (i.e. placement and sizing of features, as well as head shape), how do you find their looks?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-22-2011, 02:15 AM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroudswan View Post
And it looks awesome
Irayo

Quote:
Me too, and the rest of the modifications to become as close to Na'vi as I can get. How long do you think it will be before that's possible? I'm betting on less than two decades.
Yeah, a couple of decades, I'd guess.

Quote:
How would you view scientific articles and know whether information was accurate and peer-reviewed, then? There would have to be some serious web infrastructure changes to make that work, but I suppose it could be done.
The same way as any other data. It doesn't matter what the data is when it's being transmitted as a binary stream, as you just need the right software for the format.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
Make up your mind will you? First you say that beauty is subjective, and then you show me pictures of a "good" nose job? Seriously though, it is hard to improve upon that which is already full of fail, and I consider us humans quite fail on the looks department.
He's showing what's possible, not an absolute.

As for the practicality of a tail, yeah, you'd have to have clothes modified for it, but things like sitting wouldn't be as much if a problem - you could just sit slightly forward and curl your tail around.

I'll be first on the list for one
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-22-2011, 03:22 AM
Tsamsiyu
Aquaplant has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroudswan View Post
You're absolutely right, I should have rephrased that. I did not mean to imply that it looked good, I just meant that the surgeon did a good job on what he or she wanted to accomplish.
I was just making a joke out of your wording, since I knew that you meant the quality of the surgery itself, rather than aesthetics.

Quote:
I'm curious, then. Since the Na'vi share a lot of basic characteristics with humans (i.e. placement and sizing of features, as well as head shape), how do you find their looks?
Proper feline features always look good. Then again it has been quite the while since I watched Avatar, so my memory might not be up to date on the big picture. I think it was February last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human No More View Post
He's showing what's possible, not an absolute.
Yeah I know, but it's just fun to fool around with words one way or another.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 AM
dstroudswan's Avatar
Numeyu
dstroudswan wants to be one of the People
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human No More View Post
The same way as any other data. It doesn't matter what the data is when it's being transmitted as a binary stream, as you just need the right software for the format.
Good point; I've never been one for computer science. I'm pretty tech-savvy, but binary blows my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human No More View Post
As for the practicality of a tail, yeah, you'd have to have clothes modified for it, but things like sitting wouldn't be as much if a problem - you could just sit slightly forward and curl your tail around.
I suppose that's true - it would really just be clothes that need changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human No More View Post
I'll be first on the list for one
You'll have to beat me to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
I was just making a joke out of your wording, since I knew that you meant the quality of the surgery itself, rather than aesthetics.
Ah, okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplant View Post
Proper feline features always look good.
That's so true.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 AM
auroraglacialis's Avatar
Tsulfätu
auroraglacialis can now be called "doctor"
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Europe
Posts: 1,622
Default

Hey, our dogs can sit pretty comfy on their tails XD - they'r not like sticking out in a right angle to the backside, but are a continuation of the spine after all.
But yeah - I wonder why humans have lost them. Must have something to do with that humans are runners...
__________________
Know your idols: Who said "Hitler killed five million Jews. It is the greatest crime of our time. But the Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher's knife. They should have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs.". (Solution: "Mahatma" Ghandi)

Stop terraforming Earth (wordpress)

"Humans are storytellers. These stories then can become our reality. Only when we loose ourselves in the stories they have the power to control us. Our culture got lost in the wrong story, a story of death and defeat, of opression and control, of separation and competition. We need a new story!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:36 AM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.