Time of Great Sorrow - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » Avatar » Plot and Script Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-14-2011, 03:49 AM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default Time of Great Sorrow

Something I've been pondering for a while...Jake sought out Toruk in order to unify the clans to try and kick the RDA off-planet (well, that and be able to get the Omaticaya's attention in order to help grace). Later, Jake says "the time of Great Sorrow was ending." And Neytiri says that her grandfather's grandfather also become Toruk Makto in a time of great sorrow. Following the pattern, it could be suggested that the other four Toruk Maktos ALSO unified the clans in their area for 'a time of great sorrow'.

Anyone have any idea what those times could actually be? I'm aware this is pure speculation, but I'm interested in what people can come up with. Beyond, uh, my half-joking suggestion that some of the previous Great Sorrows were ALSO invasions of aliens. Other aliens.

Any ideas?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-14-2011, 04:45 AM
James of terra's Avatar
Taronyu
James of terra Lost on Pandora
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ontario, Canada
Posts: 498
Default

Yes, it could be other evil/different clan wars, civil unrest, a disaster of some sort. There could be other intelligent life form there too, that they had a war with. That is some of my thoughs for you.
__________________

Terrans always learn the hardway.
SEATTLE PICS at http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-14-2011, 05:23 AM
ISV Venture Star's Avatar
Nawmtu
ISV Venture Star has no status.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via Skype™ to ISV Venture Star
Default

We don't know much about the Na'vi lifespan. But doesn't it seem possible that the time of great sorrow in which Neytiri's great-great grandfather was Toruk Makto could be happening right now, in the year 2011?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 AM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISV Venture Star View Post
We don't know much about the Na'vi lifespan. But doesn't it seem possible that the time of great sorrow in which Neytiri's great-great grandfather was Toruk Makto could be happening right now, in the year 2011?
How do you mean? And...six generations back land you way further back in time. For example, one of my grandfathers was born in the 20s - his grandfather could easily be another seventy odd years before that. With the Na'vi, you could be talking two hundred, maybe even closer to three hundred years, depending on life-span and when various children were conceived. The difference between 2154 and 2011 is 143.

I'm also not sure what Earth history at that point has to do with Pandora?
__________________

Last edited by Ashen Key; 03-14-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-14-2011, 06:05 AM
ISV Venture Star's Avatar
Nawmtu
ISV Venture Star has no status.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via Skype™ to ISV Venture Star
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen Key View Post
The difference between 2154 and 2011 is 143.

I'm also not sure what Earth history at that point has to do with Pandora?
My great-great-grandfather (on the paternal line) was in his 20s in 1881, 130 years ago. Given the uncertainty in Na'vi lifespan/breeding age I don't think that 143 years is much of a stretch.

I don't think it's of all that much significance. I just like the idea that the events of this 'time of great sorrow' could be playing out now as we speak.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,751
Default

Interesting, but it doesn't have any real direct relevance to Earth.

Since historically, there has been conflict between Na'vi clans on at least a local scale before, I would guess that was likely something to do with at least some of them. On the other hand, Neytiri doesn't say anything about the actions of any previous Toruk Makto.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Tsawke`Iheyu's Avatar
Taronyu
Tsawke`Iheyu is fine.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USM Auriga
Posts: 364
Default

Agreed. In my vision, the time of great sorrow also includes the time when the first colony of "sky-people" established on Pandora and started to do dirty jobs in their environment.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM
tm20's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
tm20 has no status.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,751
Default

could be either tribal wars or natural disasters, that's all i can think off. i doubt it's humans since the last Toruk Makto was Neytiri's grandad's grandad which i think is alot more than 30 years before. who knows, maybe another alien race came down before humans and they got their asses kicked or maybe they reasoned with them and the aliens happily left. maybe one of the xenomorph spaceships crashed on pandora.....and it's still there O_o
__________________
There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Tsawke`Iheyu's Avatar
Taronyu
Tsawke`Iheyu is fine.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USM Auriga
Posts: 364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm20 View Post
could be either tribal wars or natural disasters, that's all i can think off. i doubt it's humans since the last Toruk Makto was Neytiri's grandad's grandad which i think is alot more than 30 years before. who knows, maybe another alien race came down before humans and they got their asses kicked or maybe they reasoned with them and the aliens happily left. maybe one of the xenomorph spaceships crashed on pandora.....and it's still there O_o
Haha^ But you can't know, maybe Jake was the only Toruk Makto, I mean as a human inside an avatar body, and of course the last Toruk Makto was Neytiri's grand-grand-grand father but he wasn't an alien. Probably he fought against the RDA. It's a common mistake when two rational species attack each other to protect knowledge and values.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Numeyu
ScottWashburn has no status.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 76
Default

James Cameron has said that originally he'd intended to show that Pandora was VERY seismically active with lots of volcanoes, but that he just ran out of time to include that in the movie (although he does plan to have some of that in Avatar 2). So perhaps there have been times in the past where there have been massive natural disasters where large parts of the population (both animals and Na'vi) have to relocate and start over again. Since there doesn't seem to be any Na'vi government beyond the clan level, Eywa might choose someone to be Toruk Macto to take charge and coordinate the effort.
__________________
Scott Washburn
www.stellarphoenixbooks.com
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWashburn View Post
James Cameron has said that originally he'd intended to show that Pandora was VERY seismically active with lots of volcanoes, but that he just ran out of time to include that in the movie (although he does plan to have some of that in Avatar 2). So perhaps there have been times in the past where there have been massive natural disasters where large parts of the population (both animals and Na'vi) have to relocate and start over again. Since there doesn't seem to be any Na'vi government beyond the clan level, Eywa might choose someone to be Toruk Macto to take charge and coordinate the effort.
...now THERE is an idea. That's really interesting, Scott.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 AM
Human No More's Avatar
Toruk Makto, Admin
Human No More has no status.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In a datacentre
Posts: 11,751
Default

It's interesting, but I'd say the Na'vi population is global, so it doesn't seem to be directly affected. Also, volcanic activity is usually concentrated in specific regions (e.g. the pacific on Earth) and there wasn't any visible in any of the areas we did see in Avatar.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-15-2011, 03:29 AM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human No More View Post
It's interesting, but I'd say the Na'vi population is global, so it doesn't seem to be directly affected.
Well, Jake as Toruk Makto was hardly commanding things on a global scale, either. I can see it as a regional thing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Loverofnature's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
Loverofnature has no status.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Body: Denmark Spirit: Pandora
Posts: 712
Send a message via MSN to Loverofnature Send a message via Skype™ to Loverofnature
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen Key View Post
Something I've been pondering for a while...Jake sought out Toruk in order to unify the clans to try and kick the RDA off-planet (well, that and be able to get the Omaticaya's attention in order to help grace). Later, Jake says "the time of Great Sorrow was ending." And Neytiri says that her grandfather's grandfather also become Toruk Makto in a time of great sorrow. Following the pattern, it could be suggested that the other four Toruk Maktos ALSO unified the clans in their area for 'a time of great sorrow'.

Anyone have any idea what those times could actually be? I'm aware this is pure speculation, but I'm interested in what people can come up with. Beyond, uh, my half-joking suggestion that some of the previous Great Sorrows were ALSO invasions of aliens. Other aliens.

Any ideas?

Personally i think, that the other times of great sorrow, was simply conflicts between clans. In the movie, it does seem like the don't have any contact what so ever with the other clans, before Jake rides out. that's my thought atleast
__________________




"Free your Mind" - Morpheus
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Ashen Key's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Ashen Key is writing
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 796
Send a message via AIM to Ashen Key
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loverofnature View Post
In the movie, it does seem like the don't have any contact what so ever with the other clans, before Jake rides out.
Oh? What makes you say that?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.