We will have no economist in the future - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » Avatar » Plot and Script Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Sky Person
lumpinger96 The Future is going to be FREAKING AWESOME
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Austria, Earth, Sol System
Posts: 12
Default We will have no economist in the future

I have one question: According to Pandorapedia the Valkyrie shuttles uses Fusion drives and is about only 80 Meters Long!! YES B**** WE WILL HAVE MASTERED THERMONUCLEAR FUSION IN THE FUTURE!! and a Moon and 3 gas giants (Jupiter doesnt count to high radiation and Gravity) full of Helium 3, our energy problems are about to be solved. Poverty, Hunger and environmental destruction will be a thing of the past. the population explosion will be stopped, wars about oil,coal and gas will come to an en. The age of Energy abundance an Power for all can beginn. Its the dawn of glourios Future
Prosperity, Wealth and Civilisation are ready to spread across the stars


But no

Appearantly we will have no economists in the future. Instead of skimming isotopes from Uranus we are going to Alpha centauri for Room temperature superconductors......which are great .....i guess .....but will help us how exactly??
But uranus is just a few months a way with a fusion engine but to get to alpha centauri is orders of magnitude more difficult


so what do you think?? is the entire premise of the movie false? could it be that the entire conflict could have been simply be avoided by GOOD BUSINESSMAKING??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Clarke's Avatar
Karyu
Clarke wants his own Avatar.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Scotland, 140 years too early
Posts: 1,330
Default

You assume the free market works correctly. The prescense of the RDA suggests it doesn't.

(*gets popcorn*)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Sky Person
lumpinger96 The Future is going to be FREAKING AWESOME
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Austria, Earth, Sol System
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
You assume the free market works correctly. The prescense of the RDA suggests it doesn't.

(*gets popcorn*)
So the capitalistic mega-corp killed the free market. And we dont get Uranus Helium-3, no Age of Energy Abundance and no end of Hunger, Poverty, Wars for Energy resources.

So they essentially killed our Future

WELL DONE RDA, REALLY REALLY GOOD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Sky Person
lumpinger96 The Future is going to be FREAKING AWESOME
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Austria, Earth, Sol System
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpinger96 View Post
So the capitalistic mega-corp killed the free market. And we dont get Uranus Helium-3, no Age of Energy Abundance and no end of Hunger, Poverty, Wars for Energy resources.

So they essentially killed our Future

WELL DONE RDA, REALLY REALLY GOOD


But that doesnt answer my question.

Why?? Why so stupid ? Why traveling 4.43 LIGHTYEARS to mine SUPERCONDUCTORS. Thats NOT a solution to our Energy Problems . Helium-3 is. its Fusion fuel. and you dont have to travel gazillion of kilometer to get it. its just a few dozen AU, you can travel to it in a few short month with a fusion drive. You can eve automate the process if you want. and the supply is almost unlimited, you simply cant exhaust a gas giant.


but no


they want SUPERCONDUCTORS FROM WHICH WE NEVER KNOw FOR WHAT THEY ARE GOOD FOR.


Why?? Its so easy NOT to become a Cyberpunk dystopia, WHY!?!?!?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Clarke's Avatar
Karyu
Clarke wants his own Avatar.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Scotland, 140 years too early
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpinger96 View Post


But that doesnt answer my question.

Why?? Why so stupid ? Why traveling 4.43 LIGHTYEARS to mine SUPERCONDUCTORS. Thats NOT a solution to our Energy Problems . Helium-3 is. its Fusion fuel. and you dont have to travel gazillion of kilometer to get it. its just a few dozen AU, you can travel to it in a few short month with a fusion drive. You can eve automate the process if you want. and the supply is almost unlimited, you simply cant exhaust a gas giant.


but no


they want SUPERCONDUCTORS FROM WHICH WE NEVER KNOw FOR WHAT THEY ARE GOOD FOR.


Why?? Its so easy NOT to become a Cyberpunk dystopia, WHY!?!?!?
We know exactly what superconductors are good for: transporting large quantities of energy around.

The RDA have large quantities of energy to transport around - they use it to fuel the ISV. Other people do too, apparently.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-06-2013, 02:38 AM
Crickett's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
Crickett has no status.
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpinger96 View Post
I have one question: According to Pandorapedia the Valkyrie shuttles uses Fusion drives and is about only 80 Meters Long!! YES B**** WE WILL HAVE MASTERED THERMONUCLEAR FUSION IN THE FUTURE!! and a Moon and 3 gas giants (Jupiter doesnt count to high radiation and Gravity) full of Helium 3, our energy problems are about to be solved. Poverty, Hunger and environmental destruction will be a thing of the past. the population explosion will be stopped, wars about oil,coal and gas will come to an en. The age of Energy abundance an Power for all can beginn. Its the dawn of glourios Future
Prosperity, Wealth and Civilisation are ready to spread across the stars


But no

Appearantly we will have no economists in the future. Instead of skimming isotopes from Uranus we are going to Alpha centauri for Room temperature superconductors......which are great .....i guess .....but will help us how exactly??
But uranus is just a few months a way with a fusion engine but to get to alpha centauri is orders of magnitude more difficult


so what do you think?? is the entire premise of the movie false? could it be that the entire conflict could have been simply be avoided by GOOD BUSINESSMAKING??
I have a few questions about your premise:

Why would abundant energy solve world hunger, poverty and most importantly, stop any kind of *population explosion*?

Wouldn't cheap abundant energy (or, in more general terms: an enormous increase in resources) feed a population explosion, not quell it?


In addition, while this might end the dependence on fossil fuels, I don't see why it would end ecological damage. It would just end (or drastically reduce) the production of Co2 into the atmosphere. That's not the world's only source of ecological damage.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:52 AM
Clarke's Avatar
Karyu
Clarke wants his own Avatar.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Scotland, 140 years too early
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I have a few questions about your premise:

Why would abundant energy solve world hunger, poverty and most importantly, stop any kind of *population explosion*?

Wouldn't cheap abundant energy (or, in more general terms: an enormous increase in resources) feed a population explosion, not quell it?


In addition, while this might end the dependence on fossil fuels, I don't see why it would end ecological damage. It would just end (or drastically reduce) the production of Co2 into the atmosphere. That's not the world's only source of ecological damage.
Abundant energy mitigates the effects of a population explosion, because growing food hydroponically, etc, becomes easier, urban construction is cheaper, etc.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2013, 04:31 AM
Crickett's Avatar
Tsamsiyu
Crickett has no status.
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
Abundant energy mitigates the effects of a population explosion, because growing food hydroponically, etc, becomes easier, urban construction is cheaper, etc.
I agree. But it certainly doesn't stop a population explosion. If anything, it feeds it for the very reasons you list.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Exoblade's Avatar
Hapxìtu
Exoblade is staring into the darkness of the universe
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 173
Default

oh we're got this idiot over on Avatar Forum as well

A sadistic choice over the survial of mankind - Page 5

He's pretty much won't move from his position that mankind is superior and will exterminate the na'vi with an orbital bombardment. Though he hasn't got the maths right for his rods from god.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Exoblade's Avatar
Hapxìtu
Exoblade is staring into the darkness of the universe
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
We know exactly what superconductors are good for: transporting large quantities of energy around.

The RDA have large quantities of energy to transport around - they use it to fuel the ISV. Other people do too, apparently.
you also have the issue of efficiency of your fusion reactors. If you only have a barely break even reactor most of the energy you produce is going to be used in sustaining the reaction. Now if you have a room temperature superconductor that cuts down the requirements to run the cooling and containment systems suddenly your low profit reactor suddenly becomes a high profit reactor producing a large amount of energy for the grid.

Simply securing the supply (and getting it home at a profit) isn't the whole battle. You have to factor in other things.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Clarke's Avatar
Karyu
Clarke wants his own Avatar.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Scotland, 140 years too early
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoblade View Post
you also have the issue of efficiency of your fusion reactors. If you only have a barely break even reactor most of the energy you produce is going to be used in sustaining the reaction. Now if you have a room temperature superconductor that cuts down the requirements to run the cooling and containment systems suddenly your low profit reactor suddenly becomes a high profit reactor producing a large amount of energy for the grid.

Simply securing the supply (and getting it home at a profit) isn't the whole battle. You have to factor in other things.
If your reactor breaks even, just make it bigger.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Raiden's Avatar
Outlier
Raiden BIOSYNTHETIC LIFEFORM #R41-D3N
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,072
Default

Oh, so I have something new to sink my teeth into?

I can't wait...
__________________
Modern technology owes ecology an apology.

Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-07-2013, 04:40 AM
iron_jones's Avatar
Olo'eyktan
iron_jones hasn't received an infraction since 2011
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Oh, so I have something new to sink my teeth into?

I can't wait...
Mother of God...
__________________


Misery Forever.

O vos ómnes qui transítis per víam, atténdite et vidéte
Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Moco Loco's Avatar
Dandy Lion
Moco Loco is a lion in a low place
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,911
Send a message via Skype™ to Moco Loco
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Oh, so I have something new to sink my teeth into?

I can't wait...
What are you sinking your teeth into?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Raiden's Avatar
Outlier
Raiden BIOSYNTHETIC LIFEFORM #R41-D3N
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,072
Default

The idiot spouting garbage on our forum.

It was a metaphor.
__________________
Modern technology owes ecology an apology.

Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.