Time May Be Disappearing From The Universe. - Page 2 - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » General Forums » Science and Technology

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Isard's Avatar
Old Guard
Isard -- Wait, you do hear the voices right?
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,416
Send a message via Skype™ to Isard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkeu 'Awpo View Post
Sorry, time exists.

Though, I maintain that it is not really a dimension. It just doesn't make much sense for it to be.

How is it not a dimension? We move through it just like the other three.
__________________
The Emperor protects
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Na'vi_supporter's Avatar
Pandora lover
Na'vi_supporter has no status.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Prague, Czech
Posts: 402
Send a message via ICQ to Na'vi_supporter Send a message via MSN to Na'vi_supporter Send a message via Skype™ to Na'vi_supporter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Of Pandora View Post
No. it's the other way around; time is decreasing and space is increasing. Time is being lost and this gives the appearance of space getting larger at an increasing rate.

Let's go back to the tube. Think of the lenght (time) and the width (space) getting longer and wider respectively. Now what happens when the rate of which the tube is getting longer slows down, but the rate at which it gets wider stays the same? We should see the tube getting wider, faster and faster but we should see the lenght slowing down.

And if this keeps up time should grind to a halt and then the Universe will be a "snapshot" of an instant forever.

That's as simple as I can make it.
Yeah, andother "tube" explanation (I hope) is : do measurement of tube dimensions change in some short timeframe (delta1(width) and delta1(length)). Than do the same later ( delta2(width) and delta2(length) ). Than ratio delta1(width)/delta1(length) is lower than delta2(width)/delta2(length). This means that width rises realtively faster. This can be caused both by width expansion increase itself or length expansion decrease or both. And I guess we can't directly measure time rate change from our viewpoint, than observed result is space expansion rate change.
__________________



"Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

"Money does not represent such a value as men have placed upon it. All my money has been invested into experiments with which I have made new discoveries enabling mankind to have a little easier life."
Nikola Tesla

Last edited by Na'vi_supporter; 07-11-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Fkeu 'Awpo's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Fkeu 'Awpo | Bleh.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 794
Send a message via Skype™ to Fkeu 'Awpo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aihwa View Post
How is it not a dimension? We move through it just like the other three.
Can't go backwards in time, yo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:31 PM
ZenitYerkes's Avatar
Karyu
ZenitYerkes - Progress means expanding everyone's freedom
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkeu 'Awpo View Post
Sorry, time exists.

Though, I maintain that it is not really a dimension. It just doesn't make much sense for it to be.
Sorry, time is a dimension.

Though, I mantain I don't believe time exists.
__________________
I love Plato, but I love Truth more - Aristotle
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Isard's Avatar
Old Guard
Isard -- Wait, you do hear the voices right?
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,416
Send a message via Skype™ to Isard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkeu 'Awpo View Post
Can't go backwards in time, yo.


But its still a dimension.
__________________
The Emperor protects
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Fkeu 'Awpo's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Fkeu 'Awpo | Bleh.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 794
Send a message via Skype™ to Fkeu 'Awpo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenitYerkes View Post
Sorry, time is a dimension.

Though, I mantain I don't believe time exists.
Clever. But those are very, very conflicting statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aihwa View Post
But its still a dimension.
I've given my reasoning, where's yours?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:38 PM
ZenitYerkes's Avatar
Karyu
ZenitYerkes - Progress means expanding everyone's freedom
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkeu 'Awpo View Post
Clever. But those are very, very conflicting statements.
I've given my reasoning why I think time does not exist, where's yours?

PS: If you want to actually debate or discuss, give some base to your thoughts.
__________________
I love Plato, but I love Truth more - Aristotle
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Isard's Avatar
Old Guard
Isard -- Wait, you do hear the voices right?
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,416
Send a message via Skype™ to Isard
Default

We still move through it. Just because you don't have control over the movement doesn't change that fact.
__________________
The Emperor protects
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Avatar Driver
GLaDOS managing Aperture Science Enrichment Center Testing.
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22
Default

Einstein once said time is relative. Think on that for a moment.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Na'vi_supporter's Avatar
Pandora lover
Na'vi_supporter has no status.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Prague, Czech
Posts: 402
Send a message via ICQ to Na'vi_supporter Send a message via MSN to Na'vi_supporter Send a message via Skype™ to Na'vi_supporter
Default

It is a dimension. Imagine three dimensional cube. Height, width and depth are dimensions.
Now lets assume universe with 2 spatial dimensions (plain). Now u need to allow events in the plain to happen(for example moving points in this plain).. You need to move between "frames". Each frame is one plain. So you need third dimension to move between these plains and u get three dimensional cube , two dimensions are "space" and third is time. Time cuts cube into slices, each slice is one time moment.
It's virtual cube since there can't exist all frames at one time, because it would require infinite amount of energy/matter.

And now you can expand this idea to 4D space and there will be infinite set of 3D "cubes" each representing one time frame, only problem is that we can't draw it easily or imagine it as dimension
__________________



"Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

"Money does not represent such a value as men have placed upon it. All my money has been invested into experiments with which I have made new discoveries enabling mankind to have a little easier life."
Nikola Tesla

Last edited by Na'vi_supporter; 07-11-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Fkeu 'Awpo's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Fkeu 'Awpo | Bleh.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 794
Send a message via Skype™ to Fkeu 'Awpo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aihwa View Post
We still move through it. Just because you don't have control over the movement doesn't change that fact.
Except that you have control in all the other dimensions.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Dreaming Of Pandora's Avatar
Karyu
Dreaming Of Pandora Nostalgia++
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aihwa View Post
I've given my reasoning, where's yours?
I'll do that. GPS systems work because time is a physical dimension that has a physical effect on matter that passes through it. Time is proven to exist because every single astronaut that has been in space are actually experiencing time before us. Clocks move faster in space, proven fact. Astronauts have travelled into the future slightly, fact. Satellites take this into account in their atomic clocks when determining the position of your car from space.

You can't go backwards in time simply because space may have that 3 dimensional freedom where you can go forwards, backwards, up and down. Time isn't multi-dimensional. It's linear, you can only go forward in time.
__________________

My Astronomy Channel
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much."
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Fkeu 'Awpo's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Fkeu 'Awpo | Bleh.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 794
Send a message via Skype™ to Fkeu 'Awpo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenitYerkes View Post
I've given my reasoning why I think time does not exist
and then gone on to say that you believe it's a dimension. So time doesn't exist, but it does?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:53 PM
ZenitYerkes's Avatar
Karyu
ZenitYerkes - Progress means expanding everyone's freedom
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkeu 'Awpo View Post
and then gone on to say that you believe it's a dimension. So time doesn't exist, but it does?
I can consider several opinions at the same time. I am still stuck to the traditional definition because it's useful, but also question it. Hence why I don't believe time exists.

This could lead to a new theory, but I am not a physicist; so I write it down here to bring something of worth to the thread.
__________________
I love Plato, but I love Truth more - Aristotle
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Fkeu 'Awpo's Avatar
Ikran Makto
Fkeu 'Awpo | Bleh.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 794
Send a message via Skype™ to Fkeu 'Awpo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenitYerkes View Post
I can consider several opinions at the same time. I am still stuck to the traditional definition because it's useful, but also question it. Hence why I don't believe time exists.
We're not talking about opinions.
You're saying time exists. But you're saying time doesn't exist.
If that's your point, I guess there's no argument, since half of you is on my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenitYerkes View Post
This could lead to a new theory, but I am not a physicist; so I write it down here to bring something of worth to the thread.
Man are you ever cocky.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Visit our partner sites:

      pandoraworld.ru



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:24 AM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.