Our Descent Upon the Exhibit! Calling all U.S. PNW Members! - Page 5 - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum
Go Back   Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum » General Forums » Meetups » Seattle Meetup 2012

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Alan's Avatar
Karyu
Alan has no status.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eywa's Pet View Post
Excellent! I sent mail to them two days ago but haven't received a response yet. Perhaps if others do the same, they'll be further encouraged...
Brilliant Eywa's Pet. More the merrier. I must admit I did kinda take to 'carpet bombing' approach and ended up sending my email to three of the listed email contacts with an appologies 'because I didn't know which was the correct one to send it to'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tammie
You know me, I am going FOR SURE, 100%! ;-) Thanks for all your dedication and time you have spent finding out such great info on Seattle my sweet friend and a huge thanks to everyone else sharing info too!!
Well, I kinda got that impression Hey, no worries. This is like one of those opportunities that life presents you with once in a while, and boy I'm going give it all I can to make it a special time for all of us. As James Cameron said: "Failure is an option, but fear is not". And yeah irayo to everyone for your work too, as well as your enthusiasm and encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aketuan
NICE!! At least they are thinking about it. I will send an email to them stating my interest in seeing the movie. The more of us that tell them we want to see Avatar, the more likely it is...
Yeah, I think I would have been worried if they weren't! Great you've sent your two-penneth in. Anyone else care to drop them a line to request Avatar SE 3D at the IMAX. Here's a link to their contacts page: Contact Pacific Science Center

Hey and thanks for summarising the story so far. Good job there matey. You could add an urban hike that could take us to Kerry Park, which has excellent views of Seattle and Mount Rainier as well as take in the shops on Queen Anne Avenue...well so the guide book sez!

Ohh and I've also had a reply from the Travelodge...
__________________
Sig kindly created by Prowler. Irayo ma tsmukan
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Aketuan's Avatar
Outdoorsman
Aketuan is ready for July
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Ohh and I've also had a reply from the Travelodge...
and....


Kerry Park sounds like a worthwhile place to visit.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Alan's Avatar
Karyu
Alan has no status.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aketuan View Post
and...
Well....the travelodge lady says they could offer us a 15% group discount when we book individually on the varying dates of arrival and departure!!!! Outstanding!!!

I'm still working out the details with them and once I do I'll post them here for folks to get booking...providing it all comes good of course. It would also be great for the details to be posted on the other Avatar related forums too for those who intend coming to the Avatar Exhibition weekend.

The Travelodge is like 30 seconds away from the Best Western. I haven't heard back from the the Best Western folks yet, but I'll keep you all posted.

As they say, watch this space....>______<

I've also replied back to the IMAX lady thanking her for her response and with a few words of encouragement...as yer do
__________________
Sig kindly created by Prowler. Irayo ma tsmukan
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 02-26-2011, 04:47 AM
Fiyerwall's Avatar
One of the People
Fiyerwall can't wait for the next meetup
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
As for when you are arriving at the airport, if I decide to fly to Seattle, I will be arriving at just about the same time you are. Maybe we could meet-up and catch a cab to the hotel together.
That sounds great. I would like to wait and see when miss tammy arrives because we had planned on riding together, but the more the merrier and the less we'd have to pay individually.

I'm going to do some more Seattle research this weekend and I'll also look up the two hotels just to see what I can find.

I'll be staying until Monday the 6th and my plane will leave around noon. Since I'll only have 2 full days, personally I'd like to visit the Aquarium along with the Avatar exhibit. I love aquariums and James Cameron said that he planned on showing us more of the oceans of Pandora so maybe we could see what he has in store for us. This is not set in stone, but it would be my top choice for other attractions to see.
__________________
When you see nothing you see everything.

My picture is on Laz Alonso's phone next to James Cameron's phone number. HELL YEAH!!


My Avatar Tattoo
http://www.tree-of-souls.com/members...vatar+ink.html
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Aketuan's Avatar
Outdoorsman
Aketuan is ready for July
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyerwall View Post
That sounds great. I would like to wait and see when miss tammy arrives because we had planned on riding together, but the more the merrier and the less we'd have to pay individually.

personally I'd like to visit the Aquarium along with the Avatar exhibit. I love aquariums and James Cameron said that he planned on showing us more of the oceans of Pandora so maybe we could see what he has in store for us. This is not set in stone, but it would be my top choice for other attractions to see.
I have pretty much decided to fly in. It will save me $400 and 4 days of driving...Depending on the flight I get I will be arriving anywhere between 12:00 pm - 7:00 pm on Friday so when I get my tickets I will contact you.

Also, about the activities, we can decide that once we have the major important stuff down, however it doesn't hurt to come up with some pre-plans.

I was thinking that depending on if Eywa's Pet can get work off on Monday, to do the hike up to Mount Si on Sunday or Monday, as it also relates to the movie as being out in our nature here on Earth... I also really like the aquarium idea...One thing is for sure, Saturday is all out Sci-Fi Museum and possibly Avatar IMAX viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Well....the travelodge lady says they could offer us a 15% group discount when we book individually on the varying dates of arrival and departure!!!! Outstanding!!!
15% AND with individual bookings AND any departure/arrival day... Wow, I think we found our hotel. Hopefully we can have the details worked out soon...
This raises the question of how we want to book? Do we want to pair off and split rooms between 2 people, and maybe have one person book the room and the other pay for their half when we arrive?? Any ideas?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Alan's Avatar
Karyu
Alan has no status.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,330
Default

Ok folks,

Update time on the hotel front. I tell you the Travelodge lady is really doing us proud. Ok, here's the deal:

Avatar Clan Gathering for Exhibition Opening 4th June:

As part of the opportunity to try and bring the Avatar Clans together for the opening of Avatar Exhibition on 4th June in Seattle, we have been able to get a group booking deal with the Travelodge, only ten minutes walk from the Science Fiction Museum. The deal is as follows:
  • We can have a group booking and get 15% off the normal price.
  • This means the weeknight rate will be £110, the weekend rate will be $144. This does not include tax, but with 15% off, it is effectively tax free! Of course if you share a room the price is halved.
  • If you are taking a car there will be a $10 parking fee per day.
  • Breakfast is included, both cold and cooked breakfast is available (no Taylu or Sturmbeest though!).
  • There is also a gym, outdoor pool and hot tube for use included.
  • You are not fixed to a duration as long as it includes the weekend of 4th and 5th June.
  • You will be able to make the booking yourself. This cannot be done online. Instead they will take the bookings via either email or by telephone. I have asked for the contact details to be forwarded to us.
What do we need to do?
In order for them to 'reserve' a set of rooms for us, we need to get back to them as soon as possible with the numbers of people who intend going and what type of room is required: 'single double bed' or 'twin bed' room.

So if you could get back to me as soon as possbile, preferable before Wednesday, but ideally over the weekend. Then I can get back to the Travelodge to finalise and get back to you with the booking details and contact info.


Finally we need to let the other Avatar forums know about this too, so all the clans can be together. I have asked CyanRachel if she would be willing to forward the message to Avatar Prime and Na'viBlue. I can do Avatar Forums, Avatar Wiki and LearnNa'vi. If anyone is on any other Avatar fan forums, please feel free to forward the above message and report back on numbers to me so we can get booking.

Irayo everyone for your patients. I think we have the makings of a wonderful and memorable weekend in Seattle..yeah, we may even be sleepless in Seattle..hmm...that sounds like a good film title!

Oel ngati kameie soon,

Alan
__________________
Sig kindly created by Prowler. Irayo ma tsmukan
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-26-2011, 09:15 PM
CyanRachel's Avatar
Ikran Makto
CyanRachel is proud to be one of the People
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 777
Default

Wow -- Irayo for all this great info, Alan! Sounds like it might work out well with the Travelodge.
I'll post this news on the other Avatar sites.

Now, when you mentioned the 2 types of rooms, can I assume the "twin bed" room is a room with 2 twin size beds?
I don't have a roommate at present, but I was planning on reserving a room with 2 beds (either double size or twin size) so in the event there's a tsmuke in need of a room, she and I can room together.

Also, here's some more news...
This week I sent the following email to the Box Office at the museum in Seattle:

Hello.
I have some questions re: tickets for admission and "Avatar: The Exhibition" opening on 6/4/11:
- Can a group of 8 or more get a group rate on admission to the museum?
- Does general admission (or group admission) *include* admission to the Avatar exhibit, or are there separate tickets for this exhibit?
If they're separate tickets, when do they go on sale?
If the exhibit is included with the main admission, then when can the admission tickets be purchased?
If someone could please let me know re: any or all of the above, I'd greatly appreciate it.

And here's the response I received:

"A group of 9 or more will receive a 10% discount on admission tickets. General/group admission will include entrance to the Avatar exhibit after its opening on June 4th. You can purchase tickets in advance online at anytime or you may also purchase tickets at the door on or after opening day.
If you have any more questions, please feel free to send them my way.
Thank you for your interest in EMP/SFM -- we look forward to your visit."
Sami Collier
Reception & Box Office Assistant

So I wanted to post this info here to share. Looks as though we can purchase tickets for the Avatar exhibit in advance, as in *now*, and not have to wait.
Should we wait to purchase as a group (if we're going to be 9 or more for opening day)?
__________________
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019).
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Alan's Avatar
Karyu
Alan has no status.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanRachel View Post
Now, when you mentioned the 2 types of rooms, can I assume the "twin bed" room is a room with 2 twin size beds?
I don't have a roommate at present, but I was planning on reserving a room with 2 beds (either double size or twin size) so in the event there's a tsmuke in need of a room, she and I can room together.
Yeah, just to clarify. There are rooms with 1 double bed and other rooms with 2 beds, aka twins beds.

Great stuff with the Avatar exhibition group tickets. It's going to be like one big family outing!

Alan
__________________
Sig kindly created by Prowler. Irayo ma tsmukan
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 PM
James of terra's Avatar
Taronyu
James of terra Lost on Pandora
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ontario, Canada
Posts: 497
Default

Cool thanks for the info, I will contact you all when I book so that we can get the beift of group booking!!!
__________________

Terrans always learn the hardway.
SEATTLE PICS at http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Aketuan's Avatar
Outdoorsman
Aketuan is ready for July
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Posts: 621
Default

So I have decided that unfortunately I can not go on the trip...

...Just kidding , I just booked my flight!!! I am arriving in Seattle at 6:18 pm on Friday and leaving at 7:00 pm on Tuesday.



Quote:
Originally Posted by James of terra View Post
Cool thanks for the info, I will contact you all when I book so that we can get the beift of group booking!!!
Cool yeah that is a good idea for the 15% discount. But I think we can book separately (via email?) and still get the discount. I think we will have all of the details within this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanRachel View Post
Also, here's some more news...
This week I sent the following email to the Box Office at the museum in Seattle:

Hello.
I have some questions re: tickets for admission and "Avatar: The Exhibition" opening on 6/4/11:
- Can a group of 8 or more get a group rate on admission to the museum?
- Does general admission (or group admission) *include* admission to the Avatar exhibit, or are there separate tickets for this exhibit?
If they're separate tickets, when do they go on sale?
If the exhibit is included with the main admission, then when can the admission tickets be purchased?
If someone could please let me know re: any or all of the above, I'd greatly appreciate it.

And here's the response I received:

"A group of 9 or more will receive a 10% discount on admission tickets. General/group admission will include entrance to the Avatar exhibit after its opening on June 4th. You can purchase tickets in advance online at anytime or you may also purchase tickets at the door on or after opening day.
If you have any more questions, please feel free to send them my way.
Thank you for your interest in EMP/SFM -- we look forward to your visit."
Sami Collier
Reception & Box Office Assistant

So I wanted to post this info here to share. Looks as though we can purchase tickets for the Avatar exhibit in advance, as in *now*, and not have to wait.
Should we wait to purchase as a group (if we're going to be 9 or more for opening day)?
If we have nine people for sure going, we should definitely book together...however if we do not have nine (I think we are at maybe 7 now) it shouldn't make a difference. Did they say if the ticket is different for the whole museum vs just the Avatar exhibit? I wouldn't mind seeing the other exhibits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Ok folks,

Update time on the hotel front. I tell you the Travelodge lady is really doing us proud. Ok, here's the deal:

Avatar Clan Gathering for Exhibition Opening 4th June:

As part of the opportunity to try and bring the Avatar Clans together for the opening of Avatar Exhibition on 4th June in Seattle, we have been able to get a group booking deal with the Travelodge, only ten minutes walk from the Science Fiction Museum. The deal is as follows:
  • We can have a group booking and get 15% off the normal price.
  • This means the weeknight rate will be £110, the weekend rate will be $144. This does not include tax, but with 15% off, it is effectively tax free! Of course if you share a room the price is halved.
  • If you are taking a car there will be a $10 parking fee per day.
  • Breakfast is included, both cold and cooked breakfast is available (no Taylu or Sturmbeest though!).
  • There is also a gym, outdoor pool and hot tube for use included.
  • You are not fixed to a duration as long as it includes the weekend of 4th and 5th June.
  • You will be able to make the booking yourself. This cannot be done online. Instead they will take the bookings via either email or by telephone. I have asked for the contact details to be forwarded to us.
What do we need to do?
In order for them to 'reserve' a set of rooms for us, we need to get back to them as soon as possible with the numbers of people who intend going and what type of room is required: 'single double bed' or 'twin bed' room.

So if you could get back to me as soon as possbile, preferable before Wednesday, but ideally over the weekend. Then I can get back to the Travelodge to finalise and get back to you with the booking details and contact info.
Nice information summary.
Sounds good, I guess we should wait to get our final booking done till we know who exactly is going... but we shouldn't wait much longer than a week, so that everything is finalized.

So.. I figure once we have all booked our rooms and flights, we can get to the fun stuff!!

Over the next couple of months we should get an itinerary going with what we are going to do each day. (meals, exhibits, urban hiking, ect...)

So feel free to throw out suggestions!


Also we have four pins/lines on our Seattle Trip map, anyone else who is going is welcome to add themselves to the map here.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 AM
Fiyerwall's Avatar
One of the People
Fiyerwall can't wait for the next meetup
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 245
Default

What up all? I looked up some more info on Seattle, mostly in the areas around the Seattle Center.

Restaurants:

Icon Grill (Belltown): American, $11-25/lunch, $13-34/dinner, reservations recommended, Welcome to Icon Grill!

Serious Pie (Belltown): Pizza, $14-16, Tom Douglas - Home

Shiro’s Sushi Restaurant (Belltown): Sushi/Japanese, $2.50-15/sushi, $25-50/main courses, reservations recommended, Shiro's Sushi Restaurant

Mama’s Mexican Kitchen (Belltown): Mexican, $4-10 per person, 2234 2nd Avenue

Palisade (Elliott Bay Marina): Northwestern mostly seafood, $12-17/lunch, $19-59/dinner, reservations recommended, awesome view, complimentary limo service, Home Page

The 5 Spot (Queen Anne): American but it changes every 3 months, $10-16 per person, reservations recommended, Home | Chow Foods

Shopping:

Pike Place and Waterfront
Pike Place Market (PPM): Pike Street and 1st Ave, covers more than 9 acres, Pike Place Market - Home

Ye Olde Curiosity Shop: souvenirs, 1001 Alaskan Way, The page has moved | Ye Olde Curiosity Shop

Belltown
Singles Going Steady: music, 2219 2nd Ave
Patagonia: outdoors, 2100 1st Ave

Downtown
Pacific Place (Downtown): 600 Pine Street, shopping mall
Westlake Center(Downtown): 4th Ave and Pine Street, shopping mall

The Seattle Center is located in the southern most part of the Queen Anne neighborhood. The Belltown neighborhood is directly south of the Seattle Center. Downtown is southwest of Belltown. Pike Place/Waterfront is south of Belltown and Downtown. The Magnolia neighborhood is northwest of the Seattle Center. If you look up a map of Seattle, this becomes much easier to understand.

I checked and their are no major parades or festivals during the 1st weekend in June.
__________________
When you see nothing you see everything.

My picture is on Laz Alonso's phone next to James Cameron's phone number. HELL YEAH!!


My Avatar Tattoo
http://www.tree-of-souls.com/members...vatar+ink.html
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 AM
Fiyerwall's Avatar
One of the People
Fiyerwall can't wait for the next meetup
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 245
Default

I forgot to thank Alan for all his work on the hotel plans and CyanRachel for her work on the tickets to the exhibit. It may not be much, but hopefully the info above will help some people out. Irayo to everyone involved in this adventure!
__________________
When you see nothing you see everything.

My picture is on Laz Alonso's phone next to James Cameron's phone number. HELL YEAH!!


My Avatar Tattoo
http://www.tree-of-souls.com/members...vatar+ink.html
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Alan's Avatar
Karyu
Alan has no status.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyerwall View Post
I forgot to thank Alan for all his work on the hotel plans and CyanRachel for her work on the tickets to the exhibit. It may not be much, but hopefully the info above will help some people out. Irayo to everyone involved in this adventure!
Far from it Fiyerwall! Irayo for all the research you are doing. It makes it a real team effort to make this trip a success. We'll have to see if we can pull together a flexible itinerary over the next couple of months.

I'll be back with some more updates on accommodation, but right now I have work to fit in Still it's paying for the trip

Until then Eywa ngahu,

Alan
__________________
Sig kindly created by Prowler. Irayo ma tsmukan
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 PM
CyanRachel's Avatar
Ikran Makto
CyanRachel is proud to be one of the People
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 777
Default

Kaltxi, Aketuan.
In answer to your question about the museum tickets, general/group admission *includes* admission to the Avatar exhibit *and* all other exhibits in the museum (so if you want to see other exhibits in the museum besides Avatar, you can).

Kaltxi, Alan.
Irayo for answering my question about the hotel room beds -- appreciate it.
__________________
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019).
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Aketuan's Avatar
Outdoorsman
Aketuan is ready for July
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanRachel View Post
Kaltxi, Aketuan.
In answer to your question about the museum tickets, general/group admission *includes* admission to the Avatar exhibit *and* all other exhibits in the museum (so if you want to see other exhibits in the museum besides Avatar, you can).
Thanks for that info!

Also I have looked up an interesting package deal... for $60 you can buy a "Seattle City Pass" that includes tickets for all of the neat attractions in Seattle. So if we plan on visiting most of these, we could really save some money...

City Pass

Quote:
SAVE 50% with SEATTLE CityPASS
CityPASS gives you admission to 6 must-see Seattle attractions

Space Needle
Pacific Science Center
Seattle Aquarium
Argosy Cruises Seattle Harbor Tour
Experience Music Project | Science Fiction Museum
OPTION TICKET:
Woodland Park Zoo OR The Museum of Flight
Space Needle - You get two admissions, one during the day and one during the night, includes the observation deck.
Pacific Science Center - You get admission and one 3D or 2D Movie ticket - Has the IMAX (Avatar???), butterfly, insect world, star wars...
Seattle Aquarium - You get one admission to all of the exhibits including the massive underwater dome!
Seattle Harbor Tour - you get a one hour narrated harbor tour
Science Fiction museum/experience music project - you get admission to both museums What could we do at the sci-fi museum...
One ticket to either the flight museum OR the Woodland Park Zoo - you get admission to one of the two
__________________

Last edited by Aketuan; 02-28-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.tree-of-souls.com/seattle_meetup_2012/3503-our_descent_upon_exhibit_calling_all_u_s.html
Posted By For Type Date
Info on Meet-up in Seattle for Opening Weekend of Avatar Exhibit - AvatarPrime This thread Refback 09-29-2011 07:45 AM
Something about Anything - Page 202 Post #744 Pingback 06-28-2011 09:49 PM
Something about Anything - Page 183 This thread Refback 06-03-2011 02:42 PM
Avatar Exhibition and Fan Meet-Up - Are you coming? This thread Refback 04-29-2011 08:34 AM
Planning Thread for the Avatar Exhibition in Seattle 4th June This thread Refback 04-28-2011 05:55 AM
Seattle Meetup Newsletter (3) - 3/23/11 This thread Refback 03-28-2011 07:22 AM
User blog:Alan.T/Avatar Clan Meet-Up at Avatar Exhibition in Seattle 4th June - James Cameron's Avatar Wiki - Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana This thread Refback 03-02-2011 12:03 AM
Seattle Museum. This thread Refback 01-21-2011 06:19 AM


Visit our partner sites:

   



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:58 PM.

Based on the Planet Earth theme by Themes by Design


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
All images and clips of Avatar are the exclusive property of 20th Century Fox.